Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion needed on new purchase

Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM
67ownr

Default Opinion needed on new purchase

To Anyone:

I was very interested in the V6 vs. V8 comparison, untilthe threadwas locked.

Here is my issue. I would love to have my dream car and special order a 2007 GT Mustang Convert. However, this will be my commuting car also. Should I spend my money on my dream car and drive it to and from work, on weekends, and evenings and put generous amounts of wear and tear on the vehicle? OR, what my wife and I have been disscussing, get one off of the lot that I really like and buy it with the intent of everyday & night driving. I think the better choice would be the V6 in this case. It still is a Mustang (it says so on the title and on the car itself), it looks good, and it will be pretty fun to drive. Then I can save up and eventually get that dream car sometime down the road and drive that on weekends and have the V6 to drive back and forth to work.

Opinions?

-67ownr
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Opinion needed on new purchase

If you get the 6, you likely will be kicking yourself forever for not buying a GT.

Although mine spends most of its time in the garage, it would certainly be suitable for everyday use.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:24 PM
chirostang
2nd Gear Member

I have an '06 GTvert. It is a great every day driver. Get the dream car.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:24 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

In reality if the difference in payment between a GT and a six-shooter is gonna make or break you maybe you should consider not getting either one. You will be most certainly disappointed with a six. I warned my stupid little sister that wanted to save $120 a month. Over 70% of mustang sales are the weak version, making their re-sale or trade-in value much less in comparison due to simple supply and demand. The fuel economy is actually the same if not worse, believe it or not. You cant fight physics. Regardless of engine size, it's still a 3500 pound car. On a flat straight line it might be a little stingier on fuel, but otherwise not. Also there is the driver factor. You will push that gas pedal harder trying to make the car perform like the one you by then regret not buying. you are probably better off waiting until you can afford a GT.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:26 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Then I can save up and eventually get that dream car sometime down the road and drive that on weekends and have the V6 to drive back and forth to work.
First, Welcome to the forums....tons of good info here.

Second, both the 6 and the 8 are great cars. The comparison thread you referred to ended up getting very opinionated and emotional...(there's a shocker!!) and as such, really did not serve the purpose it was meant to.....

Going by your quote above, do you want to live your dream only on the weekends, or every day? My GT is my daily driver, and I would not have it any other way. I only drive about 6 miles each direction to work, never see the freeway for the commute, and absolutely love every minute...(all 15 of em.) every day.

Whatever decision you make, just make darn sure you do not have daily regrets about it, as that will eat you alive!!

Best of Luck, and welcome,
Mike
Old 01-01-2007, 03:59 PM
GT2006am

Mileage and daily use won't destroy a car - cars were meant to be driven. If you fix what breaks and properly maintain it, you can drive it for hundreds of thousands of miles (except for driving though the winter in snow states - that will destroy it after a few years). The highlight of my day after getting my butt kicked at work is the drive home - you just can't beat it.

I did get the chance to do an extended drive on a V6 ona business trip to Arizona for 3 weeks - and I pounded on it in every conceivable situation and fashion. I was honestly impressed. It's pretty gutsy, and the torque is always there (remember it's got more HP than a 60's 289), it cruised effortlessly at 90 mph, and handled passibly on windy desert roads through the foothills. It was very solid and always seemed like it was happiest being driven hard - but it was just not quite enough.

When all is said and done I'm a performance nut, and so I ended up buying the GT - and know that I made the right choice. If you're a performance nut too - you'll be happy with the V6 until the novelty wears off, and then you'll kick yourself. If you're not a total performance nut - then you'll love the V6. It's very likeable.

Alan
Old 01-01-2007, 04:06 PM
JimC

I have to disagree with all who are saying you will kick yourself for not getting the V8. I drove both a GT convertible and Pony V6 convertible when I bought mine. Both were optioned exactly alike except for the engine (the Pony edition has a "GT inspired" suspension, the sway bar may be little smaller). For me it came down to the fact that while the GT was a quicker accelerator, the difference wasn't enough to convince me to spend an additional $5,000 -- I can get on the expressway as quickly as I need to with the V6, get a ticket just as easily, and the handling was nearly identical -- plus I liked the Pony grill better than the GT. The difference in monthly payments was virtually non-existent -- I made the choice and have been happy with it.

You have to decide for yourself, and you may be one of those who if you don't get the V8 will "kick yourself" every day you drive it. You are the only one who can decide which fits your needs and desires best. Drive both vehicles back to back with the options that you want on each and then make your decision.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:16 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If your dream is the GT...and nothing is standing in your way.. get the GT. A mustang is not an exotic sports car.. it is a car that is meant to be driven everyday.

Go for it!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67ownr

To Anyone:

I was very interested in the V6 vs. V8 comparison, untilthe threadwas locked.

Here is my issue. I would love to have my dream car and special order a 2007 GT Mustang Convert. However, this will be my commuting car also. Should I spend my money on my dream car and drive it to and from work, on weekends, and evenings and put generous amounts of wear and tear on the vehicle? OR, what my wife and I have been disscussing, get one off of the lot that I really like and buy it with the intent of everyday & night driving. I think the better choice would be the V6 in this case. It still is a Mustang (it says so on the title and on the car itself), it looks good, and it will be pretty fun to drive. Then I can save up and eventually get that dream car sometime down the road and drive that on weekends and have the V6 to drive back and forth to work.

Opinions?

-67ownr
Do what your wife and your instincts are telling you to do. Go with the V-6 it will suit your needs perfectly.

Richard
Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

which one would you rather commute in for the
next 4 years? i would rather commute with a smile
on my face, like many have stated here already.

whichever one you get, have no regrets

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion needed on new purchase