Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli CAI? Too good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli CAI? Too good?

Got it, love it. I wasn't ready for a tuner to be plugged into my car yet. Perhaps in a few years when I start making hard modifications, then I'll move to something else, but it would have to be proven to me that anything else really is any better. Easy set up, Granatelli has been making parts for Mustangs and Fords for years.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riven02

My problem with it is the tune is the best part of the CAI-Tune combo.

With the GMS CAI your mustang will still have throttle lag, hanging revs, slugish shifts (in an auto), etc. Plus a good tune will always net you more power.

Also, most people are not going to stop at the CAI. So most will be buying the tuner anyway.
+1,000,000

Everyone needs to understand this!

Tune-less CAIs are great, but they can never do most of the things that a tuner can do. CAIs cannot adjust your timing, drive-by-wire settings, or shift parameters (auto trans).
Old 01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

+1^^^^
Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Does anyone have this? - I think wingman75 does - any opinions?

They advertise 20+ hp gains without a tune.

If this is true, would a tune make it even better?
I do have the Granatelli CAI without a tune. I am very happy with it. No problems, no CELs just a responsive eager attitude. Not mine but the cars. It just seems to want to take off. Despite what ney sayers may tell you my Mustang does not suffer from throttle lag or hanging revs and of course I am driving an automatic. And I didn't buy it because I was cost concious but I was leary of Ford dealers attitude toward tuned cars. If I am understanding correctly some new offerings in tuners will let you revert to stock even if the dealer reflashes your computer with a new version. This reflashing by the dealer has created problems by disabling cars when they try to reinstall their tunes as some have recently posted.

Am I getting this right? I'm no expert.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:02 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

I dont think it makes alot of sense to limit yourself to future upgrades with the Granatelli, even though it does work as advertised, if you want to do ANY other mods you are back to square one needing a tuner. I have a SCT2 and I like how I can change various parameters like shift pressure, fan coolant temp on/off, tire size, etc...myself. Also, the Granatelli doesnt shut off the speed limiter, which is a biggie for me to be able to disable. Just dont see the point in it to save a few hundred.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:07 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Myself, I didn't want or need a tuner yet, which was part of the reason I bought the Granatelli CAI. That, and I think it's one of the best looking CAI's for this generation Mustang, especially polished. When I bought it, I didn't have many other mods in the works besides some stripes and an axle-back exhaust. Now that I've gotten wheels, and I'll be running taller/wider tires, I'll probably take the time to invest in atuner to get the most out of my investments. However, as a stand-alone part, the Granatelli CAI is a very good investment. Especially if you don't have many more mods planned for the future, or if they'll be farther down the road. Just my $.02
Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
chirostang
2nd Gear Member

Not to hijack this thread but if you have an SCT tuner and then get a dyno tune, do they replace the existing tunes on the SCT? If so, do they do all 3 tunes or just one? If they don't reprogram the tuner, and you have to take your car in for service, after the flashback you'd have to have everything re-dynoed.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chirostang

Not to hijack this thread but if you have an SCT tuner and then get a dyno tune, do they replace the existing tunes on the SCT? If so, do they do all 3 tunes or just one? If they don't reprogram the tuner, and you have to take your car in for service, after the flashback you'd have to have everything re-dynoed.
You have the capablity with your SCT tuner to change a wide varity of parametes without changing the entire baseprogram, for instance, the only issueI had was my A/F ratio was lean, so the place that did my Dyno was able to just adjust my fuel delivery with my SCT tuner without effecting the complete Brenspeed tunes. Now if you have your car serviced at a dealership, you can not have them Re-flash your car. From whatI understand It changes the coding around so the tuner can not re-install itself, and in some cases, fail the car to start.

Now I Love GMS and I Love Brenspeed, but I was hearing that some people where getting lean contions with the GMS CAI. This is what prompt me to go and get a Dyno check for A/F. Now I don't know if the lean condtion accured before, after, of never changed after the SCT (BrenSpeed) Tuner. But I'm glad I did. a15% lean conditionis not bad, but not good either, theses stangs come out stock at 12.5% Perfect! The 15% lean condition wasrobbing the cars peformance,andif it wherelean to 16 or 17%+, this would be engine damaging!!inwhich I like toreinerate guys, its better to be safe then sorry, If you have a GMS or any CAI with a tuner, no matter who or where you got it from, you should dyno the car to check out your A/F Ratio.

just my 2 cents

Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 AM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

Myself, I didn't want or need a tuner yet, which was part of the reason I bought the Granatelli CAI. That, and I think it's one of the best looking CAI's for this generation Mustang, especially polished. When I bought it, I didn't have many other mods in the works besides some stripes and an axle-back exhaust. Now that I've gotten wheels, and I'll be running taller/wider tires, I'll probably take the time to invest in atuner to get the most out of my investments. However, as a stand-alone part, the Granatelli CAI is a very good investment. Especially if you don't have many more mods planned for the future, or if they'll be farther down the road. Just my $.02
Same here!!! +1

[IMG]local://upfiles/44056/D54CEBB825D545D393520FB750F5B23C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick S
Now I Love GMS and I Love Brenspeed, but I was hearing that some people where getting lean contions with the GMS CAI. This is what prompt me to go and get a Dyno check for A/F. Now I don't know if the lean condtion accured before, after, of never changed after the SCT (BrenSpeed) Tuner. But I'm glad I did. a15% lean conditionis not bad, but not good either, theses stangs come out stock at 12.5% Perfect! The 15% lean condition wasrobbing the cars peformance,andif it wherelean to 16 or 17%+, this would be engine damaging!!inwhich I like toreinerate guys, its better to be safe then sorry, If you have a GMS or any CAI with a tuner, no matter who or where you got it from, you should dyno the car to check out your A/F Ratio.
Bingo.

Becasue the GMS intake has a non-standard MAF, it is trickier to tune for than other intakes. The vast majority of cars out there use the stock MAF. Consequently the characteristics of it are well understood by the people writing your tunes. They work with stock MAFs every day. On the other hand, the GMS setup is a bit of an oddball. The tuners (at least for the time being, and for the near future) don't have anywhere near as much experience with the GMS. Consequently the tunes will not be as good as those for a much more common intake that uses the stock MAF.

Quick Reply: Granatelli CAI? Too good?