Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli CAI? Too good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:53 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default Granatelli CAI? Too good?

Does anyone have this? - Ithink wingman75 does - any opinions?

They advertise 20+ hp gains without a tune.

If this is true, would a tune make it even better?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: Granatelli CAI? Too good?

I hear it is a great CAI... 20-25 RWHP is average gains, and no tune needed.

Quick S has it, and his engine ran a little rich, but a dyno tune uncovered an extra 10 Ponies from the CAI.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:11 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

So it is true? I would settle for that. Kind of worried about the running rich. Would a tune from a third party (e.g. Brenspeed help with this?) That would be 35hp with the intake and tune!

Any input?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:16 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I don't belive 35 HP froma tune and a CAI....ANY CAI, unless the tune is running some extremely agressive timing, and that's not wise unless you are running race gas.

The Granatelli intake is good, but only for a specific purpose: if you want an intake but you are very budget concious and you DON'T want a tuner for some reason. If you are getting an intake and a tuner, then save some money and get either a C&L or a JLT, which are better intakes anyway.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Running Rich isn't bad for an engine, it just steals HP that your engine could potentially make. Running Lean is where it gets hairy. Quick S had a Dyno tune and that was about a ~100 bucks.

I would talk to Quick S, but he seems to be in love with his GMS CAI.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I don't belive 35 HP froma tune and a CAI....ANY CAI, unless the tune is running some extremely agressive timing, and that's not wise unless you are running race gas.

The Granatelli intake is good, but only for a specific purpose: if you want an intake but you are very budget concious and you DON'T want a tuner for some reason. If you are getting an intake and a tuner, then save some money and get either a C&L or a JLT, which are better intakes anyway.
I'll argue that with ya, 99% of CAI's are exactly the same, just different shapes and colors. You don't believe a CAI+ a Dyno tune is worth 35 HP?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

First got the GMS CAI, there was a real noticable difference in performance,next Igot the a SCT tuner with BrenSpeed Tunes, which made it feel like a whole different car [sm=drooldude.gif].Then I got the car Dyno'ed, and was running about 15% lean, which isn't bad, but not good either. The shop I had the car dyno'ed at was able to use my SCT tuner to correct the problem by increasing fuel delivery to get me right between 12.5 amd 13. %, inwhichgetting it to its proper A/F ratio, when we re-dyno'ed the car there was a 10WHP increase. Honestly though, because these cars are so touchy to air flow changes, I would suggest a Dyno A/F ratio check, NO matter what CAI kit and tuner you go with
Old 01-02-2007, 06:47 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I agree that the various CAIs are similar. But there are differences. For example, 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine did this test:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html

...note the HP gains from the various intakes with and without tunes. A typical score for the better intakes with a tune is about +25 HP. The best was the JLT intake, at 27.9 HP.The variance between the intakes has them making anywhere from 10-28 HP or so, which is a pretty big variance for parts that are supposedly "identical".

Is 35 HP possible? Perhaps. But in my opinion it is wishful thinking. I have never seen a CAI swap + tune give anything above 27 HP on a dyno run.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
btorlv
2nd Gear Member

I have it and i love it. All i can tell you is my tires break loose when i punch it in first. The car was a little sluggish and now it runs like a v8 5speed should.I picked up 2mpg and the car is a lot more fun to drive. You get a lot of bang fot the buck with no tune needed.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

My problem with it is the tune is the best part of the CAI-Tune combo.

With the GMS CAI your mustang will still have throttle lag, hanging revs, slugish shifts (in an auto), etc. Plus a good tune will always net you more power.

Also, most people are not going to stop at the CAI. So most will be buying the tuner anyway.

Quick Reply: Granatelli CAI? Too good?