Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood scoops - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:27 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hood scoops - thoughts?

ORIGINAL: Ragnar

Please do not take any offense as we're all entitled to our opinions...and this forum is loaded with them, which makes it great. But, I believe there is no such thing as a functional hood. Or I could argue all hoods (scoops included)are functional. I'll explain.

Hoods are not functional: The ram air hoods and cowl induction hoods are not really runctional. Yes they let cool air in. But that air is not really having any effect on the performance of the car. At best I have seen ram air add 5 hp and that's really within a margin of error for hp ratings. It may not even add additional cold air that would benefit your car more than the cold air it's already getting thru the stock air filter or a CAI kit. It's marketing hype guys. Maybe those who drag race can make a legitimate claim of some benefit, especially when they're trying to squeeze another tenth of a second out of their car. But the rest of us on the streets see no real gains. "Fucntional" hoods are very expensive. $800 for a hood, plus $500+ for fit and finish. So a $1,300+ mod for what? Seems like it boils down to looks rather than functionality.

All hoods are functional: Why do we dismiss the effect a hood has on the appearance of the car as being non-functional? Hell, the whole idea of spoilers, side scoops, louvers, etc. is done less for functionality and more for appearance. It makes your car look fast, cool, or whatever. That to me could be considered functional.

We all own one of the coolest looking, and best performing cars for the money. But there are lots of cars that perform as well as or better than the Mustang...and they cost about the same. So I venture to say our infatuation with this car is for its looks. Let's not discount the importance of looks.

The bottom line: If the look your shooting for comes in the form of a hood replacement, go for it. It it comes in the form of a hood scoop, that's should be cool too.

Good Post......I agree!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

The non funtional scoops don't bother mebut I wouldnt buy one. I suggest a shaker. IMO it looks better and is sorta functional.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ullmustang
The yellow Mustang on the cover of the 2007 brochure has a non-functioning hood scoop and it looks great. If I am not mistaken, there are thousands of Mustangs out there with the non-functioning side scoops behind the doors as well. Plus just about everyone has a spoiler on the back and I highly doubt if creates any down draft to make it functioning (in fact if probably just creates wind resistance and weight to slow the car down).
Don't know why Ford did away with that finctionality. I had a '95 coupe and the hood scoops and side scoops were all functional. A nice nod to the originals. They probably got axed by some accountant.

IMHO non-functioning = rice. Factory non-functioning = cheap. Just my $.02

Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
STLRedbird
1st Gear Member

I vote non-functional = rice

There's a non-functional scoop on my 2007 that I HATE! There would be a shaker in its place today if not for the bolt hole problem.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

I thought the shaker was really cool until I saw it in person. It looks too small in that big hood. Plus it's really non-functional in terms of ram air. At best it's a cold air source (and water inlet?). BTW I've always wondered how much of an issue water is for the ram air hoods. Same for snow. Guess I'd have to open up the inlets after a snow storm before driving.

But if you're set on having one I believe someone makes an aluminum hood already cut out for the shaker hood. Prep and paint, plus install of shaker components, which should be easy now that there is no hole to cut, and your done.

Are you saying the stock hood scoop is wider than the hole for the shaker? I didn't think the stock scoop was that wide. It kind of seemed a bit like a box.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:16 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Don't like the Cervini ram air hood eh?? It is NOT functional and Cervini won't admit to having any plans to making it that way. Yes, it does let air in, but it isn't a functional induction system.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Ya know it's just amazing what you can do with these cars. The right color and hood, stripes or not, spoiler, etc. and you can make the car look really good.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 PM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

The way I see it, it is fully functional. Their function is to make the car look better, and they do just that!

Rice is something tht looks horrible and does nothing.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
STLRedbird
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ragnar

I thought the shaker was really cool until I saw it in person. It looks too small in that big hood. Plus it's really non-functional in terms of ram air. At best it's a cold air source (and water inlet?). BTW I've always wondered how much of an issue water is for the ram air hoods. Same for snow. Guess I'd have to open up the inlets after a snow storm before driving.

But if you're set on having one I believe someone makes an aluminum hood already cut out for the shaker hood. Prep and paint, plus install of shaker components, which should be easy now that there is no hole to cut, and your done.

Are you saying the stock hood scoop is wider than the hole for the shaker? I didn't think the stock scoop was that wide. It kind of seemed a bit like a box.
This is kinda a long story, but I had a shaker on a 2006 Mustang convertible. I loved the thing. No problems with rain or any kind of precip. And talk about an attention getter. Good lord. Children and housewives would just gasp and point.

I've contacted CDC about this and all they've got are expensive options. What I want is my shaker back with the old boss-style stripe, the one that runs down the side of the fender. The cars already a head-turner of the first order though. Maybe I should just be satisfied...
Old 01-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Yeah that's one huge advantage of having the shaker. It's very nostalgic and sure would get lots of attention. If it's that important to ya then do it and be happy. Don't second guess yourself.

Quick Reply: Hood scoops - thoughts?