Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CONCLUSION!! WOULD YOU BUY THIS STANG?? CONCLUSION!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: WOULD YOU BUY THIS STANG??

Well the way I look at it is that if I give up my stang for this one I recieve the value of whatever the SVT is worth. Typcially its sitting around the $26-28K range depending on condition. And also depending on how much of a deduction you think a differnet engine is worth. I also did something kinda tricky for researching purposes. I called the local ford shop (not the place that has the one I may buy) and told them I wanted to trade in my SVT Cobra that has a replaced engine, and I wanted to know how much I should deduct off KBB values to get an idea of what its worht. And both guys I talked to there said as long as its the same engine and was done correctly, deduct nothing..... Kinda makes me feel better that the value is all still there but I dunno....
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

$21K is not too much! The Cobras are suppossed to be colectors cars and it doesn't have the original engine? Surely you can't be serious!
Keep your real, numbers-correct Mustang
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

Between both forums the votes are: (16 Keep 05 GT) Vs. (13 Trade for Snake) . Just incase anyone was wondering!! The guys in the 4.6L V8 forum are going nuts in there!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Drew47000000

Between both forums the votes are: (16 Keep 05 GT) Vs. (13 Trade for Snake) . Just incase anyone was wondering!! The guys in the 4.6L V8 forum are going nuts in there!
Would I like to own an sn95 Cobra... sure, why not? Nice motor, looks decent, and limited production. Would I trade in my s197 GT for one? Never. But of course the sn95 guys will tell you to get the terminator... most all of them think the sn95 is the best thing since sliced bread. And no doubt the 04 cobra is a faster car, but my reason for voting -no- wasnt because I think an 05 GT is better looking (even though I do ), it was because the price on that cobra and the history is kind of shady. Its really what you want, not the people on the forum, after all youre the one buying it (though I understand youre just lookin for advice)... so personally, if it were me, Id at least find a terminator that I liked and I knew was in good condition. (Black or white, and completely stock please. ) Good luck.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

Very well said! One point I do want to make though is that I thought by posting in the 4.6L forum it would be more UN-biased because that forum would include both GT and SVT owners/opinions. I didnt know it was a forum geared more toward the SN95 owners untill I later noticed the little caption under and also viewed the opinions/advice given by them. Eitherway its very good IMO to hear all these different angles when contemplating something this serious... Keep em coming guys!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

bump..... PLEASE ATLEAST VOTE (once) Thanks ALL
Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think you should stay with the 05. I love the cobra too but I would stay with what I have! The motor is new and replaced by ford with a ford motor than do not worry at all. The motor is hand built by ford techs that put there name on it and take pride in what they do. My bro works in the factory that makes those engines and he thinks it is the best motor that ford offers aside from the GT and the GT500 motors. JMO but stick with the 05 and mod the hell out of it! I PM you in the past about this but have since changed my mind. The choice is yours and you are the one living with it regardless of what everyone elses opinion is. I know responses on this forum are great and give the feeling that we are all in this together but when it comes down to it I doubt anyone will pay for anything that goes awry with the car in the future. In general you don't make money off a car, you lose money...a house is an investment and a car (for the most part) is a liability that loses value over time after the money spent on it and time put into it are said and done. Anyway justy me 2 cents and rambling too. Keep us informed!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

trust me if you bought a cobra you know what octane to use and all that. no one just buys a cobra and not know what it is......

I would stick with your 05, or make sure to run a full car fax. not just the free one. invest the couple of bucks...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Octane isn't what caused that motor to be replaced. Look at the pics. Aftermarket pully -->increased boost. CAI. Probably exhaust work. I'm willing to bet that the previous owner beat the hell out of the car and had a tune in it that wasn't up to snuff.

Oh, and that warranty - good luck. They say you'll have it now, but unless you get in writing the condition and modifications of the car as sold, they'll deny you at first chance.

If this was an unmolested cobra, which looked like it had led a good life and been properly cared for with the milage you gave, I'd say go for it. But this car is looking as though it's going to be a problem. I just wouldn't trust the history on it.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

That car in central florida? I looked at it as well, the engine being replaced early scared me though, seemed like an excuse or some sort of cover up for what really happend. But still its a new motor anyway right? I dont know, i went and bought an 06 gt instead and i think i made the right choice, id keep ur stang.

Quick Reply: CONCLUSION!! WOULD YOU BUY THIS STANG?? CONCLUSION!!!!