Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

took my friend's GT for a test run today

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:26 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Default took my friend's GT for a test run today

Basically it's like this, I'm a senior with a V6 and my friend who is a junior just got a new GT. We both have 2007 manual coupes BTW. His is Tungsten fully loaded (Shaker 1000, black leather interior, 18" chrome bullits, etc.) and mine is a Vista with the Pony package and a few other nice upgrades (IUP, comfort) (he has both of those also). I asked him if I could take it for a ride around the block after school today and here are my impressions.

1.) Power: there is obviously more power in a GT (V8 > V6) and you can feel the "push your body into the seat" feeling while launching, but not as much as in my V6. After I took his car for a spin I took mine along the same route. By the time my car would hit 50, his would already be at 65. I know this is just saying his is more powerful, but it's just to give everyone my perspective.

2.) Exhaust: his obviously flows better (duals vs. single). From the driver's seat in his car with the windows up, his has a much deeper and more agressive tone, whereas mine seems to be louder and more high pitched (I haven't installed my Flowmaster AT yet). I definately like the sound of his much better than mine, I just wish I could hear both one after another from the outside but I don't trust anyone with my car.

3.) Tranny: he has the T3650 and I have the T5 (lucky him). His linkage was not nearly as loud as mine when sitting still. In mine I can hear it loud and clear when I am engaging first gear from neutral or while shifting into reverse. I can hear his but not nearly as much. His shift is also easier and seemingly shorter whereas mine is stiffer and a little longer (maybe true in other aspects, but no comment on that).

4.) Wheels: I love his chrome 18" bullits. If I ever upgrade my rims I would definately put these on, but at the same time I like the look of my 17" bullits because it gives it a little more of the classic muscle car appearance with the smaller rims.

5.) MPG: he had just a little under a quarter of a tank of gas when I drove it and 189 total miles. I have almost 1900 and had about the same amount of gas. When I was driving his I checked the mileage out and he was getting 14.4 MPG and then I checked mine and I was getting 14.7 MPG. I know it horrible mileage, but in our defense we both do around town driving to get to school and are both teenagers. We love to rev the engine every once in a while while waiting at a red light.

Overall: I would definately love to have a GT. However, I have a V6 and I am damn proud of it! The rest is for everyone to decide how they feel. This is what I got out of a 2 mile test drive around town where I got up to 70 MPH on his car. Don't turn this into another bashing GT thread or a bashing V6 thread. We are all Mustang people and that is while we are here on this forum.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: took my friend's GT for a test run today

Just wait till his car gets outa baby mode[8D] (Broken in)

Cool comparison.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

A post nicely articulated and fairly stated. You are a credit to your generation. Thanks for that!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Lol. Thanks guys. I was trying to be as honest and fair as possible. I don't want this to get locked out like the other thread on the V6/GT comparrison.

In addition: I jsut wanted to put my $0.02 in, plus I was excited I got to drive a GT. Everyone in my school with Mustangs up until today had V6s with 50% being manual.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM
rpguru

MPG Should not be on here.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Its nice that Ford made a Very good V-6 finally. I just heard how Chevy is having a hard time to get their V-6 camaro priced UNDER a mustang GT.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

Its nice that Ford made a Very good V-6 finally. I just heard how Chevy is having a hard time to get their V-6 camaro priced UNDER a mustang GT.
What what what?!?!

Do post a link
Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

It is in the January issue of Motor Trend. Dodge is having the same problem with their Challenger.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

Fu$k Camaro.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

lol...I love how my thread got hijacked already...and I even helped

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

It is in the January issue of Motor Trend. Dodge is having the same problem with their Challenger.

Quick Reply: took my friend's GT for a test run today