Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the world of 'Stangs, with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Incredibulk

Default New to the world of 'Stangs, with a few questions.

I'm pretty new to the concept of having a really nice car, but in about a month a new 07 GT is going to become my second car.
My first vehicle was a 2000 Ford van. It was a leftover from my dad's business (originally a logo truck, but it was never used), and was as far from an optimal ride for a teen as could possibly be... but it got me around while I was still on my Jr License, so who am I to complain? My only real gripe with it was the fact that only one wheel had power in the back. Last winter the tires were a bit worn out, and as a result it was pretty much useless in any amount of snow. I got around, but it took forever and the back end fishtailed like no-body's business.

Since I'm going to be getting this 'stang in February, chances are I'm going to hit some snow... and if not this year then next. I found one online that's pretty much exactly what I want, but it doesn't say anything about the power besides a small blurb "Anti-Lock Brakes w/Traction Control (Std)". When I was at a dealer a month ago, the salesman made it sound like Mustangs generally come with only one power wheel, and that his dealership was superior because all of theirs was ordered with two, but I have a feeling that he was just trying to get a sale. Do all Mustangs have power in both back wheels, or is it on a case by case basis? If it matters, it's going to be an automatic. I like the feel of a manual, but since it's an everyday car (and I'm not a morning person) having to work a stick at 6:30 AM every day isn't too appealing to me.

And on the topic of a soon-to-be mustang, what are your opinions on these specs?

2007 Mustang Couple GT - Premium
Black clearcoat
Dark Charcoal interior (leather)
5 speed auto
Shaker 1000 audio (wanted 500, but the car I tracked down has the upped. Is the diff huge?)
17" bright aluminum wheels (wanted 18, but not a deal breaker)
Interior Upgrade package
Wheel locking kit
Active Anti-Theft System
Side airbags
Satin Aluminum Instrument Panel Appliqué ( What exactly is this anyway?)

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New to the world of 'Stangs, with a few questions.

No your salesman is right, not all Mustangs have 2 wheel drive. Only the ones with the 3.55 LSD option. AS far as the options are concerned, the Shaker 1000 comes with 1000 watts of power and 10 speakers including 2 8" subs located in a sub-box on the right of your trunk. The Shaker 500 has 500 watts of power (half the Shaker 1000) and I believe 8 speakers. I have the 500 and it gets the job done plenty for me. The Stain Aluminum Instrument Panel Appliqué is the type of Interior Upgrade you chose. This looks like a billet aluminum panel that goes from the far left air duct all the way to the right. I have the same type. The other option was a Woven Charcoal that looks like carbon fiber that covers the same area. Here is a picture of the IUP with Satin Aluminum.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
LC06GT
1st Gear Member

I have the same options but with the shaker 500 and 17" bullits on an 06 GT. You will love this car! Satin means the dash panels are not shinny. Less reflection from the sun, I think it looks better. My wife wanted cloth seats but the dark charcoal leather is the way to go, she was happy in the end to not have cloth.

[IMG]local://upfiles/55515/8192B91866DF43CD8944A5E6C611F80E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 PM
LC06GT
1st Gear Member

I think all GTs come with limited slip, it was not an option on mine in 06.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

What? What? What?! How can a car be only one wheel drive? can someone explain this to me please?

Also, if you previously had a van then oh boy, you are in for a surprise, you are going to love this car.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

The power created by the engine rotates the drive shaft.

The drive shaft goes the rear of the car.

There is a ring and pinion gear set there. (the pinion is attached to the drive shaft and the ring is attached to the axle)

If there is a limited slip differential, it will fit the inside diameter of the ring gear.

The LSD i connected to both axles, therefore powering both wheels.

Without the LSD you only get power to one wheel.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Incredibulk

So only the manual transmission Mustangs can have LSD, and therefore power to both wheels? Or is that only limited to the V6, and the GT's always have LSD? That's pretty important to me... if I can get an auto with power to both I will, but if it's only possible with manual then I guess I'll just have to suck it up and drive a stick every day.

James Cole: Yeah, I really can't wait! I test drove a GT a week ago, and it felt like a whole different beast. When you're used to a 0-60 of about 3 days (exaggerating of course, but that's how it feels) compared to a few seconds, it's incredible.

jerseystang07: The 500 would be more than enough for me too, but I included the 1000 because it's the included option on the closest (preference and distance-wise) Mustang by me. If I were to custom build one, then I would only go for the 500.

LC06GT: Leather is definitely the way to go . Maybe personal preference, but I'd never go cloth when I could have leather.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Only the GTs have this option straight from Ford and both autos and manuals can have an LSD. V6s have to go to an aftermarket shop to get an LSD.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Welcome, soon to be, to the Mustang world, you are going to enjoy the crap out of yourself with that car!!!! My stang was ordered with 3:55 and the positrac rear. The guy never took delivery on it so it went on the lot and I snatched the puppy up as soon as I saw it. Not sure how long it was there before I saw it but I got it!!!

Your options are nice, no doubt! Black is always a bad-a color for a muscle car!!!! Leather interior, niiiiiice!!! The only thing I would have done different would have been a 5-speed manual!! But hey thats just me. Either way, you will love owning that hot car!!! Next comes modding. Be careful, as you will read, it is extremely addicting!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StowesStang

Either way, you will love owning that hot car!!! Next comes modding. Be careful, as you will read, it is extremely addicting!!!
+1 it hurts soooooooo good though to be bit by the mod bug!

Quick Reply: New to the world of 'Stangs, with a few questions.