Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 AM
chirostang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear

I had the same problem with shifting. Never had it again after switching to a Tri-Ax.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear

It's you not the car, when you shift you should be going straight up, the trans won't let it into 1st gear, no need to guide it into 3rd.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:32 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yes, 3rd can be tough sometimes....

ORIGINAL: SlowHand

Just breaking in my new GT/CS and I'm finding the same thing as I did in the loaner GT I drove: third gear can be very hard to find with the manual shifter.

The shifter is notchy and sticky in general, nothing I won't get used to (or maybe it'll get used to me, what do you think...?) but I had a hard time today. A successful shift seems to be a two-step process: release the shifter from second, virtually letting go of the stick to allow it to travel to the right in neutral, thenapply pressure forward to select third. In every other stick I've driven you have to maintain positive pressure on the lever to select a gear. The Mustang manual transmission seems to want you to release it momentarily in neutral, wait a short beat and then put it in third. It's the same for the other "zig" selection, fifth from fourth. You don't so much select the gear as move the stick into neutral and allow the transmission a half second to position itself. Does anyone else find this? I'd appreciate all tips. It's no joke to be caught grinding the gears of a brand new Mustang GT in front of a high school at going-home time. No joke at all.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Riggs007
2nd Gear Member

yes third gear is hard to get to but 50 or so more posts and I'll be there!!

seriously, is there much difference in types of K-members?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:07 AM
luggage

It's no joke to be caught grinding the gears of a brand new Mustang GT in front of a high school at going-home time. No joke at all.
Hah.. try totalling your 89 mustang 5.0 in front of school at going-home time. I did. I must say, I did't enjoy it much. I hit anothing student's car (camaro) in the rear. That was 10 years ago.. I'm almost over the taunting.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:41 AM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luggage

It's no joke to be caught grinding the gears of a brand new Mustang GT in front of a high school at going-home time. No joke at all.
Hah.. try totalling your 89 mustang 5.0 in front of school at going-home time. I did. I must say, I did't enjoy it much. I hit anothing student's car (camaro) in the rear. That was 10 years ago.. I'm almost over the taunting.
Fair enough, but you were a fellow student and, if my experience is anything to go by, you're supposed to be goofy at eighteen. Picture a balding forty six year-old guy in a brand-new muscle car who appears unable to accomplish a gear shift without crunching metal and you will have some idea of my humiliation.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 AM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

So what gets the vote, guys, an aftermarket shifter unit or the Che K-member + torque limiters?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Hurst shifter = 3rd gear woes dessimated
Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

It takes time to learn any new car. One thing I learned about the mustang gtis that each gear is like a two step motion. You have to go gentle so to speak. If you rush it you loose.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If I had to choose one it'd go with the shifter, no doubt.

So what gets the vote, guys, an aftermarket shifter unit or the Che K-member + torque limiters?

Quick Reply: They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear