Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered some touch up paint.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Just ordered some touch up paint.....

from levineautoparts.com. Hope they don't suck. I washed my car today and noticed a huge (bee-bee size) chip between my stripes right at the front of my hood. It's like a huge pimple on my car that won't go away. Atleast the spot won't rust. I think I saw the rock that did it bounce off the middle of my hood just the other day.

I'll have to take a picture to post of this beauty.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just ordered some touch up paint.....

May want to consider practicing airbrush repair (base and clear) yourself. ...or get it prof repaired. ...you know what brush on touchup is like. It's no better than it was 50 years ago; actually it's worse now because you don't have paint on the surface like the old days.

I could see airbrushing that touch up color (practice with something else first) and then clear over. Even if clear is raised as long as the color is below OE clear depth, the extra clear can be sanded away and buffed to a perfectly smooth finish. The only difference will be the color difference which will likely not be noticeable.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

+1 Fairlane292 brush paint on these new cars suck @SS bring it to a shop as long as they are not doing a large area I don't belive the price will to high or make a tape square around the area sand it with some 2000 grit and air brush it and clear coat it and if you don't have an air brush look at a craft store the have pretty cheap ones that run off a can of air and do a pretty good job.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

brush paint on these new cars suck @SS bring it to a shop as long as they are not doing a large area I don't belive the price will to high or make a tape square around the area sand it with some 2000 grit and air brush it and clear coat it and if you don't have an air brush look at a craft store the have pretty cheap ones that run off a can of air and do a pretty good job.
You're right! ...I've got 3 chips on the bumper now. Have the yellow from the shop. Two are the size of the tip of asomewhat dull pencil tip, third one is almost rectangular 1/8" x 1/4". I've only done a small amount of air brush work and have never had clear in it (might have to thin the clear just a bit). The thing is once you have practiced this I know it's do-able and beats brushwork by a long shot. Sure, there's a point where when you've done enough chips the bumper needs to be redone; my car is not a daily driver and I know the day I picked up the larger chip. ...highway had some new asphalt going down and even though I wasn't following close people were cutting in, in front of me. Just me, but I'd like to be in a position to do these repairs myself and with the way clearcoat can be sanded and buffed this should work very nicely. Touchup gun is simply way too big; I use that for other jobs all the time. ...no good here. Once I've gone down this road, I'll report in.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Unbelievably I found Ford touch up paint at Walmart, same stuff you pay triple for at the dealer.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Stormbringer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

Unbelievably I found Ford touch up paint at Walmart, same stuff you pay triple for at the dealer.
No deal.