Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident - Cut off on I-4

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default Accident - Cut off on I-4

So about an hour ago I merge onto I-4(highway) and get in the middle lane. Then about a quarter mile later when i'm still in the middle lane going about 55mph a truck decides to cut me off and slam on his brakes. He is not fully in my lane at the time and I anticipate him cutting me off but him slamming his brakes was too much so I bumped his trailer hitch while trying to use my brakes as hard as possible.

We pulled over to the side of the road when I get out and say "why the hell did you just cut me off", in a angered tone and he just said you were speeding by me. Anyway his stupid pos truck is fine and now I have an idention of a trailer hitch in my stripe which I removed from my front fascia. There is no paint damage because it hit the stripe but there is an obvious indention from the hitch and is definately noticable.

He said he didn't want to call the police and I just agreed just for the fact of insurance going up and that it may have been blamed on me although I had a friend behind me who witnessed it but couldn't even tell I hit him. Now i'm wishing I called the police because i'm going to need a new front bumper...

I'll post pictures in a little bit, i'm still just in shock.

-Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Accident - Cut off on I-4

Did you still take down his info? For a minor thing like that, probably no police is the way to go, but if he doesn't agree to pay the estimate of what it's gonna take to fix your car you can always get the police in on it then.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I'm retarded and didn't right down his tags, he wanted me to sign a peice of paper saying it was okay but I said it's fine. I really don't know why I didn't take down his info, I was honestly just in shock and figured and kind of still do that since I hit him it would be my fault even though it was caused by him.

-Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Do you have anything on him though? Phone number? Address? You could always swing by his house and write down the plate number from his truck.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Better off without the cops, you might have been cited even though he cut in front of you. People hit in the rear always prevail. Be more careful which trucker you get loud with, lot of people packing nowadays with short fuses and nothing to lose.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

You should have called the authorities because he can now say that you hit him in the read and ran or event worse sue you for hit and run, etc. You always want the cops to document what happened. I had a friend that was hit in the rear at a red light and the guy that hit him begged him not to call anyone. Two days later the guy called and said my fried backed into him and had a warrant for his arrest issued. People are ruthless.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Oh this guy wasn't packing anything considering he was scared ****less I was going to call the cops. I really was just worried about the fact I would be blamed because I hit him and figured I would just get a new front bumper that looks even better.

-Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

If he cut you off, and you have a witness, you should be fine as far as blame is concerned.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

doesnt matter in FL, these cops ALWAYS site the person in the back. you would have gotten a ticket and your insurance prolly would have went up.

very sorry to hear that bastard hurt your baby but its best you handled it the way you did.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I'm glad somebody feels that way because I kind of feel like a moron now when people are saying I should've called the cops or whatever but getting a ticket and having my rate go up would've been very bad...

-Jeff

Quick Reply: Accident - Cut off on I-4