Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flame bait: What's a pully

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 AM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

Default Flame bait: What's a pully

Was getting ready to order my CAI and I noitced that one website had a "kit", which included a pulley. I dont know that that is or what it does but the website claims that it could add 12 RWHP, which added to the CAI RWHP gain, could be pretty cool. Sorry for the newbie question here and please be gentle on the flaming....
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 AM
LBJay
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Flame bait: What's a pully

underdrive pulley, it is.....

https://mustangforums.com/m_2086135/tm.htm
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I still dont understand what these pullies are or what they do. Can someone help? Even sending me a weblink so I can research it myself is fine by me. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

They reduce the accessories draw on the cars alternator (lights, a/c, etc) and reduce the draw by 20-30% or so. When you free up horse power to do other things the motor works better and in many cases faster (more HP) than without the underdrive pullies.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 PM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

They reduce the accessories draw on the cars alternator (lights, a/c, etc) and reduce the draw by 20-30% or so. When you free up horse power to do other things the motor works better and in many cases faster (more HP) than without the underdrive pullies.
Ahh very interesting. What do they attacfh to do reduce this draw? Is it a mechanical/electric thing or physical thing?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

go to http://www.steeda.comand check out the underdrive pullies...I think it is right on the front of the website. hope it helps...
ORIGINAL: CaptainAmerica

Ahh very interesting. What do they attacfh to do reduce this draw? Is it a mechanical/electric thing or physical thing?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Say for instance your altenator turns at the same RPM as your engine (It doesnt but just visualize this) so if your engine is making 2000 rounds per minute your altenator is turning 2000 rounds per minute.

What underdive pulleys do is slow the altenator down. By decreasing the diameter of the crankshaft pulley, the acessories turn slower. So to make it simple say we put a 50% underdrive pulley on.

The engine turns the same 2000 RPM but the altenator is now only turning 1000 RPM.

And of course it takes less energy to turn the altenator 1000 RPM than it does 2000RPM. Therefore more power is freed up to turn the rear wheels.

Now on a real setup it effects more than the ALT. you also turn the water pump, PS, and AC slower.

This is a real quick explination. (Its time for me to get off work so I was in a hurry)
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CaptainAmerica

The pullies are what the belt is routed around. The belt runs around the crankshaft pulley and around other pullies like the one on the alternator or water pump for example. These allow the engine to produce electricity and pump the antifreeze through the engine.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

perfect. thanks.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I don’t mean to get to nitpicky but the draw from the lights and such is not decreased. It is actually the opposite. The output is decreased. This is why some feel UDPs are a bad idea. Since you are decreasing output but maintaining the same draw.

Quick Reply: Flame bait: What's a pully