Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, installing roush rears..is that it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:03 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default OK, installing roush rears..is that it...

Ok, I am getting ready to get my roush rear springs and install them..[sm=helpout.gif].I have read countless posts on need this, dont need this....once and for all....all i want to do is lower it slightly ..remove some of the gap....do I need to buy the adj panhard bar etc....or can I just put in the springs and be done with it without any long term problems or effects....not that it matters but I am installing 18x9 DD with 255/45/18 all around....any final advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: OK, installing roush rears..is that it...

I didn't add the panhard bar at all. Although i do have the dreaded clunking when i shift which isn't that annoying but i probably will get the panhard in the future when i have some cash just to be safe.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:59 PM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

Is the clunk related to the lowering, because I lowered it about 1 inch from the rear and didn´t notice any new noises... does the pinion angle has to be modified too?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Clunk is related to lowering. Your car is clunking because you didn't fix your pinion angle when you lowered the car.

As for the panhard bar, some people get lucky and don't need it. But in 95% of all cases out there, you do need one. When you lower the car, your rear axle shifts to one side. This screws up the geometry of the rear end and it also looks wierd becasue one wheel will be sticking out more than the other.

This has all been discussed several times before.

When you lower your car you need:

Lowering Springs
Adjustable Panhard Bar (to fix sideways offset of the rear axle)
Adjustable LCAs or UCA (to fix the pinion angle)
Camber bolts (to fix the camber in the front end)
A professional alignment

More threads to read:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2357033/tm.htm
https://mustangforums.com/m_2230421/tm.htm

Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 AM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Clunk is related to lowering. Your car is clunking because you didn't fix your pinion angle when you lowered the car.

As for the panhard bar, some people get lucky and don't need it. But in 95% of all cases out there, you do need one. When you lower the car, your rear axle shifts to one side. This screws up the geometry of the rear end and it also looks wierd becasue one wheel will be sticking out more than the other.

This has all been discussed several times before.

When you lower your car you need:

Lowering Springs
Adjustable Panhard Bar (to fix sideways offset of the rear axle)
Adjustable LCAs or UCA (to fix the pinion angle)
Camber bolts (to fix the camber in the front end)
A professional alignment

More threads to read:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2357033/tm.htm
https://mustangforums.com/m_2230421/tm.htm

Thanks for you detailed response, but even if I lower the car 1 inch from the rear I still need all those? (except the camber bolts of course)
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: James Cole

Thanks for you detailed response, but even if I lower the car 1 inch from the rear I still need all those? (except the camber bolts of course)
That depends on what you mean by "need". Your car is not going to explode if you don't get all those parts. But it will not be correctly configured either. To do the job right, yes, you do need all the parts that I listed.

Read this post:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2230421/tm.htm#2234191

My advice is to do the job right the first time. Get the parts that were listed. Also keep in mind that many of these parts are suspension upgrades in and out of themselves. Even if you were not lowering the car you would want the LCAs and the panhard bar. Why? Becasue they address some major suspension weaknesses as well as fixing the alignment problems created when you lower the car.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 AM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

so it doesnt hurt the car in anyway living it just lowered? and will these suspension upgrades make the car stiffer and noisier?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

so it doesnt hurt the car in anyway living it just lowered? and will these suspension upgrades make the car stiffer and noisier?
James, that is a very hard question to answer. It all depends on what you mean by "hurt the car". As I posted above, will it make your car explode? No. Will your car break down two weeks later? No. However, if you lower your car without addressing those issues that I mentioned, it WILL decrease the lifetime of various parts and it will causevarious problems. Specifically:

1) If you do not get camber bolts and an alignment, then your camber will be off in the front end. This will cause poor handling and uneven tire wear. This is a safety issue which will affect steering and braking and could cause a tire to blow out if you don't replace the tires regularly due to the bad wear.

2) If you do not get adjustable control arms, then your pinion angle will be off. This causes clunking noises (parts banging around)and vibration for starters. It also puts excess load on the driveline joints and on the pinion bearings. Driving with the pinion angle wrong will increase the wear and tear on these parts. Eventually you will need new joints and bearings. If you are unlucky you might break a driveshaft joint or have your gears go bad.

3) Leaving the stock panhard bar will not cause any reliability problems. However, it will negatively impact the function of your rear suspension. It can also contribute to uneven tire wear, and of course it looks bad.

So yes, it will hurt your car in some way if you lower it without properly adjusting the suspension to suit.

The suspension upgrades that I mentioned will not negatively affect your ride comfort unless you buy the "race" version of all the parts. The parts that the majority of us buy are perfectly fine on the street. If you look at those threads that I linked to earlier, I recommended a specific package of parts for lowering & suspension upgrade. Get those parts and your car will look great and will handle great too.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

James, that is a very hard question to answer. It all depends on what you mean by "hurt the car". As I posted above, will it make your car explode? No. Will your car break down two weeks later? No. However, if you lower your car without addressing those issues that I mentioned, it WILL decrease the lifetime of various parts and it will causevarious problems. Specifically:

1) If you do not get camber bolts and an alignment, then your camber will be off in the front end. This will cause poor handling and uneven tire wear. This is a safety issue which will affect steering and braking and could cause a tire to blow out if you don't replace the tires regularly due to the bad wear.

2) If you do not get adjustable control arms, then your pinion angle will be off. This causes clunking noises (parts banging around)and vibration for starters. It also puts excess load on the driveline joints and on the pinion bearings. Driving with the pinion angle wrong will increase the wear and tear on these parts. Eventually you will need new joints and bearings. If you are unlucky you might break a driveshaft joint or have your gears go bad.

3) Leaving the stock panhard bar will not cause any reliability problems. However, it will negatively impact the function of your rear suspension. It can also contribute to uneven tire wear, and of course it looks bad.

So yes, it will hurt your car in some way if you lower it without properly adjusting the suspension to suit.

The suspension upgrades that I mentioned will not negatively affect your ride comfort unless you buy the "race" version of all the parts. The parts that the majority of us buy are perfectly fine on the street. If you look at those threads that I linked to earlier, I recommended a specific package of parts for lowering & suspension upgrade. Get those parts and your car will look great and will handle great too.
Thanks Al....so the moral of this story I am getting and going to go by is not to f with my rear springs until I can afford to do it right....great point and I will wait...
thanks again