Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the gas light can turn red why not....

Old 01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: If the gas light can turn red why not....

ORIGINAL: Fireguy28

gas light turns red?
Run your car down to no gas and the gauge turns red.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
GT427
1st Gear Member

This could be done. It's just software. I'm a programer. If I knew the code and a way to manipulate the code in the ECM. This should be available to everyone, like software options on your computer. Customize the color change when anything happens on/to/in the car. I would rather the gas gauge turn red sooner than 10 miles left...say 25. I never get below 10. Change color of tach and any point the user chooses. Change the color of the speedometer when it get's to certain mph's, aeasy greenfrom 0 to 30, cool blue from 31 to 50,yellow from 51 - 65, orange from 66to 75, etc... That would be a funmodification. Have it flashingred after 90 mph. Change the ding noise for the turn signals, the buzz for the seat belt warning, the noise for the door ajar, change all of it.If they can program shift points and all that performance stuff, they can change the color of the dash.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

I dont think i want to let my tank get that empty......so i'll take your guys work for it....
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 AM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

even when the gas light goes red u still have like a gallon or 1.5 left in the tank. its not like it hurts teh car in any way
Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT427

This could be done. It's just software. I'm a programer. If I knew the code and a way to manipulate the code in the ECM. This should be available to everyone, like software options on your computer. Customize the color change when anything happens on/to/in the car. I would rather the gas gauge turn red sooner than 10 miles left...say 25. I never get below 10. Change color of tach and any point the user chooses. Change the color of the speedometer when it get's to certain mph's, aeasy greenfrom 0 to 30, cool blue from 31 to 50,yellow from 51 - 65, orange from 66to 75, etc... That would be a funmodification. Have it flashingred after 90 mph. Change the ding noise for the turn signals, the buzz for the seat belt warning, the noise for the door ajar, change all of it.If they can program shift points and all that performance stuff, they can change the color of the dash.
YES! Now we're talking! I would totally be in for developing code for stuff like that. However, if you are a software developer than you know how it is; developing something for a specific task with few or no configurable options is (sometimes a lot) easier than developing the same system that is totally configurable and customizable. Every configuration option available for tweaking means another combination of values that need to be tested before the system ships. The message center interface would either have to be severely augmented or a whole new interface created (unless we are talking about using a tuner to make the changes). Extra memory for configuration storage, not to mention the extra code complexity. There also may be safety concerns with flashing and/or changing lights. Like I said, I think it would be great, but...sadly, I can also understand why car manufacturers have not done this yet. Maybe next year...?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Get a raptor shift light if you want a shift light. It's very small and I have mine mounted in my AC vent.

-Jeff
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 AM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

Why does color matter? Watch the tach.

Or - buy a Shift Light.

Ask a drag racer.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

no it'd be cool if it was like need for speed when you got into shift range it had green for okay, blue for perfect, and red for overrev haha
Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 AM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

"KEWL"
Old 01-10-2007, 02:56 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Nothsa::: Got a pic of your shift light mounting?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If the gas light can turn red why not....