Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new plan of attack on corvette and others

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: new plan of attack on corvette and others

loooooooooooooooong time.
I love the excitement, planning and competitive nature you express in this thread. Just know that as you are a senior in HS this friend may be no where in sight in a "loooooooooooooooong time". Like most folks another car will come along and you will just have to have it and think nothing of selling your V6 stang. You're probably saying "no, I'm gonna keep it for the rest of my life" ...look we don't do that with our jobs, hobbies, houses, girl friends, wives, and certainly not with our cars (just look at what's on sale on EBay, and I don't just mean 05-07 mustangs). The reality is that there is nothing special about my GT or your V6. No reason to hold onto it "forever"; fine if you do, but if I kept every car I bought I'd need a huge warehouse.

If you are loaded with $$$, sure make a 12.5sec V6, but if you are not, don't. Enjoy the car for what it is (I see you have a stick and that makes it really fun to drive), JMO but putting 10k in perf mods when you don't even have the money is not a path you want to take at your age.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

I have the same plan as you hopefully i can save up enough in 2 yrs to have it by senior year.
1) HP Stage 1 Turbo Kit 2) SLP Loudmouth Axel-Back Exhaust 3) Steeda Stage 3 Handling Kit- 4) Spec Stage 3 Clutch 5) Spec Flywheel 6) Hurst Short Throw Shifter 7) Baer GT Plus 14" Front Rotors & Calipers 8) Steeda 18 by 9.5 Ultralite Rims 9) Corbeau Forza Seat 10) Corbeau Silver 5-Point Harness 11) Mounting Brackets 12) Steeda Ultralite Springs 13) Greddy Profec II Boost Controller 14) Forged Rotating Assembly 15) Detroit Locker 16) Aluminum Driveshaft 17) CHE K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters

I was laughing until I realized you are serious...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Here's my take on your mods.

First off, if you're going to make a sleeper, then you want to keep the exterior mods to a bare minimum. Window tint I can see. I'd skip all the other exterior mods. Save your money for the power.

Exhaust: Definatley stick with the single exhaust. You can get cutouts if you want, but I don't see a point. They're not worth any HP. (And if they were, you'd be in trouble unless you wanted to change tunes every time you turned the cutouts on and off.) Personally I'd leave the stock muffler on there (it's not particularly restrictive) and get a high flow cat instead. Longtube headers would be good, but I don't know if anyone makes them for a V6. This way you're making HP out of the exhaust, but it doesn't sound like it. Keep in mind that a V6 with cutouts is going to be LOUD, but it won't sound good due to the V6's firing pattern.

Drivetrain: Shifter & Line Locks are good. Don't get the GT rear end. It would actually be a DOWNGRADE for you. Why? You don't need the extra strength and you certainly don't want the extra WEIGHT. Instead, just get a limited slip diff for your stock rear end. Also get a lightweight driveshaft.

Handling: Hit some key suspension mods to help you keep the power to the ground. LCAs, LCA brackets, and a thicker rear sway bar for starters.

Engine: UDP is good, but they may not be compatible with your supercharger. Find out from your supercharger company what kind of injectors/plugs you might need, and if the UDPs are OK. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the HP if you're getting from the UDP, the blower will provide all you could need.

FI: Nitrous plus a blower is playing with fire. Be damn careful there. It's OK if you have a small shot with a centrifugal blower so you can get some power from the NOS at lower RPM when the blower hasn't really kicked in yet...but otherwise I wouldn't even think about NOS and a blower...WAAAY too much that could go wrong. Plus, NOS requires a tune with very conservative timing...and that will hurt your power whenever you're not spraying.

Though in all seriousness this seems like an awful lot of money and effort "barking up the wrong tree". Like VSOP said, with a couple of basic mods and some NOS you'll toast your buddy and a lot of other cars out there too. NOS is really the ultimate sleeper weapon, and it's very affordable! As he said, get the NOS, CAI, UDP and some headers and you'll be doing really well.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Burke0011
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07
He is always challenging me to races because he has a 1993 Corvette 6spd (300 hp) and knows I have a V6 Mustang.
Right there shows me what kind of guy he is - which is a putz.
WHY would he challenege you to races if he has any car knowledge whatsoever? Because its about 'patting himself on the back' and making himself feel good - in a situation he knows he can't lose.

Do what YOU wanna do to your car. Its your money - do it for YOU not someone else: If you wanna make it look better? Cool. Go faster? COOL.
Just because some dip**** with a Vette rides you, don't let him make you do something you possibly might not normally do - do what YOU want with YOUR Stang - she's a beaut!

Just remember - there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

I have the same plan as you hopefully i can save up enough in 2 yrs to have it by senior year.
1) HP Stage 1 Turbo Kit 2) SLP Loudmouth Axel-Back Exhaust 3) Steeda Stage 3 Handling Kit- 4) Spec Stage 3 Clutch 5) Spec Flywheel 6) Hurst Short Throw Shifter 7) Baer GT Plus 14" Front Rotors & Calipers 8) Steeda 18 by 9.5 Ultralite Rims 9) Corbeau Forza Seat 10) Corbeau Silver 5-Point Harness 11) Mounting Brackets 12) Steeda Ultralite Springs 13) Greddy Profec II Boost Controller 14) Forged Rotating Assembly 15) Detroit Locker 16) Aluminum Driveshaft 17) CHE K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters

I was laughing until I realized you are serious...
Why? I have a job already for the summer that pays about $400-$500 a week. I'm just hoping to have enough saved up in a couple years.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Plus its what high school guys do. Dream about what they want done to the car I know I'm not the only one because most of my friends do the same.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 AM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

Advice from an older member: modify your car to your taste - not to beat anyone. There's always someone with deeper pockets. How fast do you want your V6 to run? How much money do you want to spend?

Then - who are you "building" your car for? You? Or him?

I've got enough h.p. If you're faster, good for you, bro!

(edit: I don't race cars I know I can beat - I race those I might not beat - can you dig that?)
Ruf -

[IMG]local://upfiles/54696/9880F79E568D43AAA99FB4D9A1694D6B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

This is true i hardly see anyone around my area with a 05 and up that is modded the cars that have the most done to them are 94 thru 98 then the 5.0s and that is because theyve had them so long they have had time to save up for the mods
Old 01-09-2007, 01:10 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

oh and if you want to make it a sleeper and beat him once .... and thats all your in it for ... just put a 125 shot on your car and spray it ONCE not twice just once to beat him .... that would make it a sleeper
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
b_hollier
2nd Gear Member

Another note, his Vette is not 300hp. He has a cross fire series V-8. They only put out about 275hp at the fly, with his being a 6spd he is prob getting about 250 maybe 260 to the rear. This is assuming that the car is in excellent shape and low milage. The only Vette made around that time frame that was worth anything was the ZR-1 and the Grand Sport. Both of which are very rare and had more hp. With your V-6 on NO2, wider tires, drivetrain upgradeyou should be able to beat him with no problem. The late 70's, 80's to early 90's Vette were the worst Vettes made when comparing them to all the other models. The emmisions restrictions killed these cars.

Quick Reply: new plan of attack on corvette and others