Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 AM
07ROUSHGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

Just bought the ROUSH. Haven't had the chance to see if this problem exists. Didn't know about this but will DEFINATELY keep an eye out. Thank you for the info.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 AM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

To all you guys with the problems, really sorry to hear that. I know it must suck to have nothing but issues with your vehicles, especially after allthe time and money you guys invest in it. I havent had any issues with mine yet. I bought mine used, so I dont know where it was parked, but I usually have mine in the garage and when I wash it, I towel dry it right away. I have looked up and down for any issues, and I cant find any yet. So knock on wood, maybe some of us will luck out.
One thing about the lemon law, and I am speaking with past knowledge, you need need to have your "ducks" in a row before you start seeking answers. The stealership will try very hard to make you think there isnt anything wrong with your car, and the sound of lemon law doesnt really scare them too much, especially if its about water leaks. If it were more serious enough, like brakes, which I had an issue with on a pontiac some time ago, they will take a more serious approach on it because it deals with safety. If you want to pursue the lemon law on a dealership, ensure you get a copy of your states laws and pay close attention on the fine print and the way itis worded. A couple of years ago with a Dodge Ram, I was having major tranny issues. I was paying for rental cars each time, bad service etc. I got the copy of Texas laws and brought it to everyones attention, started the process and then got shot down because of something I missed in the wording. The Pontiac issue was in Virginia, and that one my wife and Itook pretty high till we came out on top.
I have been there and done that with pouring money into a dealership for issues that they try to hide from the public.If dont have tons of money and patience, then we will have to bite the bullet like most folks do.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 AM
ddiehl
1st Gear Member

I have not noticed this problem yet with my 07 either but will look for it now. Trust me though, Chevrolet is no better than Ford when taking care of problems. I swore after the last Camaro I had that I would neverown another Chevrolet. That's why I drive Fords now.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Five trips to the dealer for me, but it appears to finally be fixed. I had the leak on the passenger and drivers side (passenger side was much, much worse. I could have put goldfish in there!). They did everything from replacing the window mouldings to resealing the seams.

I never, ever drive this car in the rain, but I don't have a garage so all this flooding was coming simply from it being parked in my driveway while raining..
Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it sucks when you dont have a garage. I didnt have one till this year and the mustang was parked out in the open for a few months. Im glad to hear the problem is getting fixed for some of you guys.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry fellas...but you shouldn't need a garage to own this car!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 AM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

your right, we shouldnt but it sure helps. I bought the car when I didnt have a garage, but now its in there everytime its parked. If its there....use it.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
black S197
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

It took three trips to the dealer. So far, no leaks.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black S197

bump
Since you bumped it and I don't feel like looking for my water leak post, i'll post some pics of what I did today.

The people that have taken it to the dealer seem to always get the cowl clip treatment. That is the plastic clips below the front window that the wiper cowl sits in. I decided to remove my passenger side wiper cowl and see these clips for myself. I also inspected the much talked about seam in the wiper cowl valley, but didn't see any need to reseal it. Here's a pic of the clip, notice the thin piece of foam between the clip and metal of the car.

Make no mistake, it is a piece of foam. I thought it odd for them not to use a piece of rubber which would make a good seal and to top it off the foam they use really isn't thick enough to make the clips fit tight. I wanted to replace the foam with some thicker rubber pieces, but I didn't have anything on hand, so instead I removed the foam and placed clear silicone on the back of the clip and pressed it into the hole. To release the clips you need to insert a flat blade screw driver from either side and push while gently prying upward, it doesn't take much. I smoothed the excess silicone that squished out over the top of the clip. I used some naptha first to clean up the area and the clip. I'd also like to point out that I had pollen residue behind each clip, which indicated to me that water was or can easily get past that piece of foam (which is quite obvious if you looked at it closely)

Here's a picture of the whole area. In the pic you can see the cabin air filter just below the clips on the left side of the frame. Someone was asking where it was, so there it is. I don't see water getting past the seal between the air filter and firewall, it's covered by the lip of the cowl valley. the clip closest to the fender looked like the most likely culprit for water infiltration, but I wasn't taking any chances. I didn't get a chance to test it out, but will report back my finding after I have the wife run a house over the car while I lay on the floor board with a flash light.

Also people have been blaming the wire bundle gasket behind the inner fender. My insulation around that gasket is always bone dry. So i don't really see how that could be leaking. Actually , all insulation forward of the side fuse box is dry.

Quick Reply: 2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!