Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking my Loudmouths, reassure me

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
squeek12

Default Rethinking my Loudmouths, reassure me

After reading a bunch of posts here and on mustangexhuast.com, I decided to go with SLP Loudmouths for my 2006 GT. At first, I loved them. I thought there were loud and mean and so much better than stock.

Now, after listening to them outside of the car a couple time in the last couple days, I'm not sure if they have the sound I was looking for. I'm not sure if I think the sound is mean or just loud. I want mean and loud. Anyway, I'm really a car noob and really don't know what a good sound is anyway. I compare it to when I first started drinking beer. I thought Miller Lite and Bud Light were the be all and end all of beer. Now I know that there are much better tasting and more high quality stuff out there. So maybe my LMs sound great, but I just haven't developed an ear for exhaust yet.

FWIW, I'm bone stock other than the LMs. Please reassure me that the LMs sound good, and I'm just a n00b!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rethinking my Loudmouths, reassure me

The loudmouths were my first choice too, great initial reports, and you save about 6 pounds of weight for each muffler. I got my off road h pipe before the loudmouths, and needless to say the rest is history. The stock exhaust just deeper and louder is awesome. No need for Loudmouths for me. Also when I first wanted the loudmouths they were $215 at lmperformance.com , now they are like $325, seems like alot of dough for a straight thru muffler.

If I were you I would consider aCAI, and tuner with either off-road h or x pipe next. You can listen to sound clips at brenspeed.com .(Great place to get CAI, Tuner, and Off-road pipe)This way you can have either stock or LM. Your choice. Sell what you dont like on Evil Bay.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

I actaully just removed my SLPs because I added an O/R X-pipe and it was ridiculous loud. I had to put the stock mufflers back on till i get my magnaflows next week. But right now im in SLP withdrawl, For some one with a stock exhaust system the SLPs are an amazing addition. If you add an X-pipe then its jsut too much and doesn't really sound all the great anymore, very raspy and annoying. Stock exhuast with an O/R pipe is too wimpy, the SLPs sound much meaner and it' a great sound. I got compliments all the time on my SLPs.

But in the end its your call, throw on an intake and tune and the SLPs will sound even better.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

I had the Loudmouths on the stock exhause. Sounded great, until I added Long Tube Headers and a high flow catted X pipe. Then it was 'crazyloud'...so I put the SLP Powerflo's on and it is purrrrrrrrfect now.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

I will be your Dr. Phil......Get the sand out of your Vagina and keep the SLP's there awesome...Your car is stock...until you upgrade your ride keep them...Then rethink it.. Dont spend another 300 and change on other Mufflers..spend it on something else...
Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

You like loud, Take them off, Now thats loud. I have Flowmaster 3 chambers, and can actually talk to each other in the car, while running.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have magnaflows' magnapacks which is there straight thru muffler with the side exhaust. I love the sound...I plan on getting long tube headers and high flow cats so we will see what happens .....It is loud now but deep and mean with ever so small amt of drone at 1800 rpm's. Other than that it is great and the drone well.....what can you do. I went to Youtube.com and they have side by side comparisons with the exhaust you have and the magnaflows and I like the magna's better though it is JMHO.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I first got a CAI and tune and it woke up the stock exhaust and made it sound better. I then added the SLP LMs and it sounds amazing! I have gotten a lot of compliments and even had other non-S197 mustang owners in the dead of winter roll their windows down and tell me my car sounds great and ask what system it was.

For those of you have put an O/R X pipe on with SLP LM, you say it was too loud. But how did the sound change???? Was it just the same but louder or different sound all together? I've been to many websites listening to their set-ups like Brenspeed, etc. and comparing their clips of the LMvs hearing the car in person, it's not comparable. So I've decided not to make an exhaust decision on sound clips alone.

BTW I think the LM could be louder so if an O/R X or H sounds exactly the same but louder then that'd becool!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

Well I originally had the loudmouths and longtubes and o/r x all together and I liked the sound it just was too damn loud....like a friggin pro-drag car running open headers loud....at idle i had some friends compare the sound to a terminator cobra with longtubes and o/r x and a 04 z06 vette with longtubes and o/r x, but that was at idle when i would get on it though it was sound again like a drag car and i went ahead and put the stock mufflers back on for now and i think it's sounds great no interior noise or drone cause i couldn't even hear the radio at 30% up on the dial so hope that gives you a little better of an idea of how loud it's actually going to be.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

limer,

was is louder but the same sound as another car with just LM axle backs or a totally different sound?
I would imagine the LTs made the biggest difference in the loudness or do you think it is the removal of the cats that makes it the loudest?

Quick Reply: Rethinking my Loudmouths, reassure me