Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am having post-speeding regrets...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I am having post-speeding regrets...

Here is a link to SC DOT traffic cameras. They cant prove **** in this state except a general description of your car. In some states and Europe they have speed cameras but they shoot the pic from the front, and require a front licence plate, and good weather to show the driver.

http://www.scdot.org/getting/cams/
Old 01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

I'm baking a hack saw into a cake for you right now. Just be sure to have somebody post here with what cell block you end up in so I can make sure it gets to you.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 PM
elzebub

I have a friend that works for the SC DOT, he says not to worry, that the cameras are only used to monitor traffic conditions, in fact you can go on their web site and see what they see through the cameras.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Uh,.... really, WHO cares ? If the "magic camera" GOT you,.... LET us know 2-3 weeks from now.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

Funny thing about red light cameras is in Virginia, at least in fairfax county, there used to be cameras an many of the major intersections and it turned out that there were MORE wrecks AFTER the cameras were installed. People would see the camera and slam on their brakes to avoid running the red light causing the person behind them to smack into them. Fairfax county has since taken down most, if not all, of the red light cameras. It's just a money making scheme and has little to do with traffic safety. I suspect speed cameras are a money making gimmick also with no real improvement in traffic safety. But, like everyone else has said, take it to the track. Going that fast on the highway is fun but not worth the risk. At the track it's worry free fun and much safer.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

First, with all due respect, don't be a moron and drive on public roads at 140.

Second, in most states, more than 25 over the limit is a crime, not a violation. They can't charge a car with a crime, and they would have to prove, beyond a reasonoable doubt, that you were driving. You would also need to be able to cross examine witnesses. Since the camera can't be cross examined, they can't/won't charge you with a crime for a camera-caught.

vb101, the story I heard with FFX cameras was that they shut them down because they were LOSING money on the program, even though statistics showed that redlight running was reduced in the county since the program had started. There was apparently a small increase in rear-end collisions as you noted, but there was a reduction in the more serious t-bone crashes....and thus an "aggregate benefit." Here's a link to an insurance institute report on red-light programs and their benefits: http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/rlr.html
Old 01-11-2007, 10:43 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

If they're like the red-light cams here in NC, they're not even owned by the police or even the city. They're owned by a separate company, and if you don't pay the ticket, they don't really care. It's more of a scare tactic than anything.

Having said that, yeah, 140 is a bit fast on a highway...regardless of how many people are around. At that speed, even a strong crosswind could end your ride, and your life.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

Phew...I am relieved.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

JT, never heard of cameras on 26 that track speed. Most likely they are just cameras to monitor if traffic is moving during rush hour. They have the same cameras here in the Hilton Head area.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Hood struts = no more hood shake!

Quick Reply: I am having post-speeding regrets...