Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Newb's Perspective/Review (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
PBR_Streetgang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A Newb's Perspective/Review (kinda long)

I was surprised at thenumber of fellow old guys chiming in with some great comments, but one of the best things about the Mustang is the appeal it holds for all ages.Still don't get the "mid-life crisis" tag on these cars. Either I've been in a mid-life crisis since my early 20's, or I've beena kid at heart all these years.

This break-in periodsure takes a lot of patience, but I do find myself taking a lot of 10 mile detours to pick up a gallon of milk and loaf of bread. I don't think that'll stop even after she's broken in.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
07stanglady
1st Gear Member

I love this thread! BUT, why does it have to be all about the guys (older or young) and the testosterone?? Gals love to drive it too! And stare at it in the driveway while drinking copious amounts of Cosmopolitans, and saying "I can't believe that's my car!" (though I probably won't be pulling the mattress out there to sleep with it, I do have limits!) And yes, we do love the attention it gets. I was totally unprepared for that, really, and I think it must get more in Germany than it does in the States because there are not so many around. You should see the guys look at my 'Stang when I'm out and about! It's the "stop dead in their tracks, head swivel like an owl" kind of thing--hilarious!

I'm glad to hear that the trunk really is big enough for the dead boyfriend as I suspected when I saw it, since I have a 14 (but looking 16) year old daughter and we may have a use for that someday...

Welcome to the club, PBR, but leave room for the ladies!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:40 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Welcome to Mustang Anonymous...[sm=gears.gif]

The best part of owning a car like this when your a little older is now you can afford all the MODS..
Like me, had a bunch of stangs when i was younger, but it was hard to support the Habit..Now i am fully addicted and i can afford a MOD here and there..... Its like Crack..your first MOD will not be your last...!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PBR_Streetgang

I was surprised at thenumber of fellow old guys chiming in with some great comments, but one of the best things about the Mustang is the appeal it holds for all ages.Still don't get the "mid-life crisis" tag on these cars. Either I've been in a mid-life crisis since my early 20's, or I've beena kid at heart all these years.

This break-in periodsure takes a lot of patience, but I do find myself taking a lot of 10 mile detours to pick up a gallon of milk and loaf of bread. I don't think that'll stop even after she's broken in.
Hi PBR - My 05GT had a sticky and tricky shifter when I first got her. (and not due to driver error, I'm a manual transmission veteran) Took about 3000 miles to smooth out. Then she shifts like butta..............

So glad to see the congregation of so many older folks here....I'm hitting 40 this year and still stop and say "I can't believe I have this car" when I see her sitting there. Love it!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:55 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07stanglady

I love this thread! BUT, why does it have to be all about the guys (older or young) and the testosterone?? Gals love to drive it too! And stare at it in the driveway while drinking copious amounts of Cosmopolitans, and saying "I can't believe that's my car!" (though I probably won't be pulling the mattress out there to sleep with it, I do have limits!) And yes, we do love the attention it gets. I was totally unprepared for that, really, and I think it must get more in Germany than it does in the States because there are not so many around. You should see the guys look at my 'Stang when I'm out and about! It's the "stop dead in their tracks, head swivel like an owl" kind of thing--hilarious!

I'm glad to hear that the trunk really is big enough for the dead boyfriend as I suspected when I saw it, since I have a 14 (but looking 16) year old daughter and we may have a use for that someday...

Welcome to the club, PBR, but leave room for the ladies!
Go girl!!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
PBR_Streetgang
1st Gear Member

I love this thread! BUT, why does it have to be all about the guys (older or young) and the testosterone?? Gals love to drive it too!
Guys talking about muscle cars jacks up the testosterone level inany conversation (can't do much about that),but I'm sure there's no intent to exclude the ladies who drive a Mustang. Personally, I often use "guys" as a generic term for "people." (Used to get in trouble while in the Air Force for using that term a little too liberally, so I switched to "hey kids" which pissed off another group of people. Couldn't win, so I retired ).

As for girls and ladies who drive Mustangs...very cool. I know I'vecraned my necka few times to get a better look. Of course things get a little tense when I'm caught peeking. "Who? Her? No, I wasn't staring. Thoughtit was someonefrom work." Yeah, that never flies.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
07stanglady
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the AF is like that about "terms," and like that about many other things, as are any of the other military branches. I know all about it: my guy is retired AF and now he's DOD contract, so we still have to put up with crap from the military, though the pay is a bit better so it's not quite as bad all 'round (helps with the cars!).

Lucky you to be really "retired!"

And yes, guys and cars is like fighter pilots and planes: lots of testosterone!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:22 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

I was afraid of this. A bunch of us old guys & gals drinking beer (and cocktails) and slobbering on ourselves about our cars. I remember my dad had a 1964 Rambler wagon... what a piece sh*t! My mom had the performance car in the family a 1964 Dodge Polara with a 383! Another piece of sh*t! But at least it was kinda sorta fast. In 1969 my brother bought a 66 Shelby GT350. He picked it up cheap $800! The old guy that had it and didn't know what it was, his son had passed away in a crash and left the car behind. Well, my brother drove the holy crap out of it and commenced to wrecking it a few years later and it sat for a year collecting dust. So. I made him an offer to buy it and he accepted. At 16 years old I now owned at GT350! I started fixing it up with the massive money I made at the time, $2 hr. at the local gas station. With a bunch of used parts I got it on the road a few months later. Then the 289 motor died, so I found a used 302 motor for 50 bucks and dropped her in. Damn, that car broke alot. I spent every spare dollar I had on her. Then I signed up for auto shop in High School. Turns out the teacher was a millionaire, He was just teaching cause he loved cars and he was an X-Nascar engine builder. He talked me into taking the original 289 HiPo heads and porting them. We also did a 3 angle valve job, Manley Springs and retainers, Match porting the Intake, Hooker Headers. I was F'n broke!! after that.

Then we commenced to put the distributor on the machine and set the curve for racing. I have'nt told many about this, but we ended up using GM advance springs and doubled up the point springs to stop the point bounce for high rpm and an awesome curve. Next was A Holley 750 Double pumper. Crower 273 deg X 510 lift solid cam. When I got done we through all the parts on the stock 302 short block. I'm telling you that car flat hauled *** after that. 409 HP at the rear wheels, she rev'd to 7500 rpm and weighed 2900 lbs. She got really sh*tty mileage and broke u-joints all the time! Never got her to the track, cause the closest one was 110 miles away. I was afraid she would break before I got there and leave me stranded. The only car I raced that beat me in the little town I lived in was a 70 Duster on nitrous. Then I got stupid at 19 years old and sold her for 2500 bucks! I have regretted it ever since. Now that I got my 07 it's sparked a lot of forgotten memories and has given me a second chance to have fun. Anyway I've come along way since then, two marriages and five kids later, And I still know how to go fast!!!!!!!!! Oh, and the pic below is old, She's been dropped since then with Steeda springs and D-specs.. best mod so far.......Have'nt taken pics of her yet, We've been frozen solid here in Colorado for a month! It's been hell not being able to drive her until 3 days ago. Man, do I miss the mild weather in California!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the club! You'r enot old, (39 next week for me) and this is my first Mustang. I always liked them, esp the new body style. I wanted an old Mustang but also a new car without hassles, so this is it! Perfect old/new combination. You'll love the car! I've only had mine 2 months so far loving it more and more! I had my eye on the '05's when they came out, so I finally got an '06 (Hell, I even traded in my '00 Vette for it!) I also love the compliments, in only 2 days of ownership, I got more compliments on the Mustang, than my whole ownership with the Vette!

So enjoy, and welcome!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
WickedStang

[align=left]Great review and CONGRATS! I'm happy to hear that the giddiness of owning a Mustang never really goes away. I was beginning to think I had serious issues.
Loved the "1 dead boyfriend" line. lmao! Enjoy your ride!
[/align]