Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There has to be something wrong with my exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:20 PM
NVRL8
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: There has to be something wrong with my exhaust...

When I had my cats before the install of my turbo my macs sounded great I got comments all the about how nice the exhaust sounded and the drone was not bad at all but after the cats went bye bye the macs are way to loud and raspy as a **** so i'm gonna put the stockers back on
Old 01-14-2007, 11:22 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gidyup

Since the "dreaded drone" always seems to be in the lower RPM range I suggest keeping the RPMs at WOT...all of the time
I like his idea.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

ORIGINAL: gidyup

Since the "dreaded drone" always seems to be in the lower RPM range I suggest keeping the RPMs at WOT...all of the time
I like his idea.
+1

I listened to several different exhausts before getting mine, but I wanted it loud and didn't care about drone. Mostly it's my wife in the passenger seat so I'm not too concerned about hearing her.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 AM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I wasn't saying anything bad. I just want a deeper (old school muscle)sound with less drone than what I'm hearing (it's abnormally loud).

I did some research and found a few threads that CrazyAl posted about resonators. I'm going to call the shop and ask them if they can install them for me. I actually remember telling the shop that I heard MACS drone alotand he said to put them on first and see how I feel. If they are too loud...he said he normally puts on race mufflers as resonators (or something like that) for his customers.

Will putting these mufflers or resonators on substantially change the tone of my ride? Thanks for your help.

ORIGINAL: Burke0011

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

My exhaust is completely stock except for the Cat-back pipes and MAC axlebacks.

Corsa's might have ZERO drone but they are not aggressive and muscle-car like (from what people have mentioned).
???
What does that have to do with anything?
I was commenting on the drone issue, that's all.
And I have gotten plenty of comments on how nice the Corsas sound.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:31 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I'm going to call the shop and ask them if they can install them for me. I actually remember telling the shop that I heard MACS drone alotand he said to put them on first and see how I feel. If they are too loud...he said he normally puts on race mufflers as resonators (or something like that) for his customers.

Will putting these mufflers or resonators on substantially change the tone of my ride? Thanks for your help.
There isreally no difference between a resonator and a small muffler, such as a race-type muffler. Yourshop is suggesting exactly what I did, which wasto use a race-type muffler as aresonator. It will change your tone somewhat (after all,removingdrone is changing the tone),however the difference is not much. Make sure your shop installs them in the right place. I posted in a past thread about that.Proper placement is key to making resonatorsget rid of the drone.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 AM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

As always...thanks!!

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I'm going to call the shop and ask them if they can install them for me. I actually remember telling the shop that I heard MACS drone alotand he said to put them on first and see how I feel. If they are too loud...he said he normally puts on race mufflers as resonators (or something like that) for his customers.

There isreally no difference between a resonator and a small muffler, such as a race-type muffler. Yourshop is suggesting exactly what I did, which wasto use a race-type muffler as aresonator. It will change your tone somewhat (after all,removingdrone is changing the tone),however the difference is not much. Make sure your shop installs them in the right place. I posted in a past thread about that.Proper placement is key to making resonatorsget rid of the drone.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 AM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

There's no way that any normal car enthusiast can enjoy the noise I'm hearing inside the car at around 1800-2000 RPMs. I literally cannot hear my passenger speak. I love the sound of this exhaust system on the outside...but for god sakes I cannot hear anything from the inside except a contant LOUD humming noise. If you ever sat next tothe engine in a commercial jet...that's exactly how loud these bastards are.

Does anyone have the MACs? Is this how your system sounds like? I've had them for 2 days and have not gotten used to it. This really upsets me. In some instances everything inside of the cabin will rattle....even something in the trunk or the muffler itself. Could it be the muffler is broken and that's what's causing it to be EXTREMELY loud in the car. Please advise...[&o]

Will resonators help....[&o]
My exhaust is headaching, dash rattling, ear aching, very LOUD drone..oh man do I love it!

But then again I have Longtubes, high flow cats/Xpipe, and very small Magnapack mufflers
Old 01-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

i love cutouts
Old 01-15-2007, 03:40 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

If you want to get rid of drone you can add resonators to your exhaust. They will eliminate the vast majority of the drone when properly installed.

Do a forum search for resonators and you can read all about it.
+1
essentially resonators move the frequency up a few hz so that the drone you normally hear at 1800-2000 rpm is moved up the RPM band to 2500 or higher

there are different types of resonators, with different lengths, widths etc that all affect the frequency of your exhaust
MOST of them shouldn't muffle your sound too much.

ask a muffler shop and see what they can do for you
Old 01-15-2007, 10:49 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Theres nothing wrong with the exhaust, theres something wrong with your ears, as in you dont listen. Hate to say i told you so butI TOLD YA SO. Even warned you not to weld them in but you did anyway. Now you think somethings wrong with the mufflers. Some people.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2526519/tm.htm

Quick Reply: There has to be something wrong with my exhaust...