Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about changing brake pads on anti-lock brake systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default Question about changing brake pads on anti-lock brake systems

A mechanic at my dads work told him that when your changing the pads on anti-lock brakes, you have to open a valve to let out the fluid when your compressing the pistons or it will tear up your anti-lock brake system. My last mustang was a 2000 without anti-lock brakes and I just used some channel locks to compress the pistons when putting everything back together. I changed the pads on my wifes explorer the other day and she has anti-lock brakes and I did it the same way I've always done it and nothing went wrong. Should I have let the fluid bleed out or was that mechanic full of crap? Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

-Tim

Just in case anyone knows anything about explorers, I need to pull the stereo out of an '04 limited edition. It has the fake wood trim around the stereo and climate controls. Is there a special tool I need to get that trim off? The front speakers keep cutting out. Sometimes the left, sometimes the right. I want to check the connections before I go buy a new head unit.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:26 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about changing brake pads on anti-lock brake systems

Yes, the mechanic is correct. All you have to do is crack the bleeder screw on the back of the caliper before you compress the caliper. That way, excess fluid pushes out the bleeder as opposed to backing up into the ABS unit. Back when I was selling parts,Isaw a few ABS units go bad by not relieving pressure in the system. That isn't a cheap fix. It's not that hard to break the bleeder loose and stick a piece of vacuum hose on it so you can direct where the fluid will go, even though it won't be much. Plus it's well worth not spending the $300 for a new ABS unit.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Stangdude. I am familiar with that screw, I've used it before when changing the pads on the wifes '99 explorer. I guess from now on I'll do things the right away.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Doing this does however require that you bleed the brakes as you have introduced air into the caliper once you stopped compressing the piston.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:05 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Seriously doubt pushing the pistons in a little bit will hurt an ABS unit, they are designed to work under high pressure anyway. Didnt bother with mine and its fine.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

you are not taking the bleeder all the way out, so you are not introducing air into the system as long as you tighten it back up as soon as you get the caliper compressed. I normally bleed them a little bit every time I work on brakes anyway just to be safe. It never hurts, and costs you about 50 cents of brake fluid.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Stangdude is right take the extra time and little money up front and do it the right way....no sense in causing costly repairs