Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo GT Big Brake Kit is On!!!! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Red6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Brembo GT Big Brake Kit is On!!!! *PICS*

ORIGINAL: danam

how different is your kit vs. the BRembo Shelby kit with 14 inch rotors from 07 SHelbys?

My kit has the two piece cross drilledfloating rotor V.S. The shelby 1 piece rotor.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

What brakes came stock with your saleen? The stock GT ones or the upgraded saleen ones?

Also, I remember you were looking for some new wheels and I really like the ones you have on there now! The last set looked great as well though, ha ha.
Lastly, you changed wheels to get a wider wheel out back right? What size tires are on there now?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:37 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Very sweet looking.

My kit has the two piece cross drilledfloating rotor V.S. The shelby 1 piece rotor.
That is the big difference according to Brembo. Brembo offers a one piece kit for 2000 I think too. Also I believe that the Brembo version uses an adaptor to take their standard caliper mount vs the integral bracket on the GT500 caliper that is stamped FOMOCO and Brembo on the back and accepts the standard mustang brake hoses. The front halves look almost identical. I asked brembo if there were any quality or performance differneces between the calipers, they said no.

As far as the rotor diameter, thickness, caliper dimensions, wheel clearance, etc, etc. I downloaded Brembo's fitment data and compared it to the GT500 kit I have and they are identical.

What was very cool to me was that all the gt500 brake parts from the dealer come with standard brembo instructions, and EVERYTHING, with the exception of the front backing plates, is manufactured by Brembo and carry brembo and ford part numbers, calipers included.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Red6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

What brakes came stock with your saleen? The stock GT ones or the upgraded saleen ones?

Also, I remember you were looking for some new wheels and I really like the ones you have on there now! The last set looked great as well though, ha ha.
Lastly, you changed wheels to get a wider wheel out back right? What size tires are on there now?
I have the 3 valve Saleen so it came with the stock GT brakes.

Thanks I like the new wheel but will paint them darker soon.

The fronts are the same as my last set 20x8.5.

The rears are msuh larger I'm running a 20x10.5.

I'm running the stock Saleen Parelli's275 series tiresall the way around .

Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 PM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

What the hell do you do to afford such a nice car and a nice house

props
Old 01-16-2007, 07:46 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

So if the GT500 parts are the same dimensions for the rotor thickness, size, etc. etc. and the only difference is the heavier one piece vs the Brembo lighter 2 piece, is it cheaper to get the GT500 parts and convert the GT brakes or get the Brembo 1 peice kit?

Sorry to steal you thread Red6 about the brakes. By the way 20x10.5 is huge, did you have to do any special spacers or suspension stuff to make them fit. I thought 10" wide was max on these cars.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:17 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

I think you need to step it up to a 14" 2 piece rear rotor with the stock caliper to make it look balanced
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Who are you flipping the bird to in the pic? Nice car, you are getting into Viper money though.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

very nice looking - now ya gotta get rear calipers to match
Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

is it cheaper to get the GT500 parts and convert the GT brakes or get the Brembo 1 peice kit?
Not sure what you mean here. The GT500 kit was 700-800 bucks a few months ago depending on what discounts you got on the parts. Now the kit is availible from FRPP for around 1250 I think if you get a good deal on it. It comes with braided lines I believe and the upgraded rear pads. From the dealer, the list on the separate pieces is around 1400 I believe right now if you want to buy it piecemeal.

The one piece Brembo kit is 2000-2100 bucks but includes slotted or drilled rotors if that is your thing and the braided lines as well. No rear lines or pads. Two piece kit is 2800-2900. The Brembo kits come in black, silver, or red, maybe yellow too.

I am sure at some point if not already you will be able to buy lighter rotors for the GT500 to upgrade the factory ones. So that is something that can be considered too.

Quick Reply: Brembo GT Big Brake Kit is On!!!! *PICS*