Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT vs Trans Am vs Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:33 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Default GT vs Trans Am vs Corvette

Hey guys, i have a 2006 v6 manaul stang, and I've been looking into getting a GT. My friend just bought a 2000 ws6 trans am with a couple small mods and a Flowmaster Exhaust. I drove in it, and the power seemed incredible, even more then a GT, even though technically GT's go faster, am I right on that? Anyways, i raced him twice yesterday from a straight 0-60 twice, and i won both times, mainly cuz i think he sucks at driving stick (1st standard car), but i still was proud that my v6 beat that, and he was pretty pissed.

Im lookin at cool cars that i could get in the 20-23k range, and ive really been looking at GT's (used) and C5 corvettes. The corvette really made me excited, cuz techically, it should feel even faster then my buddies TA, cuz it has more HP and is lighter. How do you guys think that compares with a 2005-2006 GT?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT vs Trans Am vs Corvette

Well, those WS6 Trans Ams are no slouches, so I'd chalk your winning over to his poor driving -- sorry to say! But, with a GT and a couple of mods you'll be wiping the floor with him.

Whatever you do, don't get a used 'Vette... they've usually been flogged to within an inch of their life. Plus the insurance will probably kill you.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 PM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

screw the trans am, and can you even find a nice c5 for 20-23k? i dunno. id just go with a new gt
Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Yea, it was definitley his driving that lost the race. Could a Stock GT beat a Stock TA? I have a friend in the vette business, who can get me a 2000 with 40000 miles for around 22,500, but A GT is so much nicer and newer. How does that compare performance-wise to a C5 and a stock TA?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I've owned a C5, and currently I own an '06 Mustang GT so here's my take:

THE C5 : PROS: Awesome car! I loved it, it drove like no other car I ever drove before, it was tons of fun, very reliable car. Also, there are tons of readily available mods for them (especially with the LS1 engine..or LS6 if you can get a Z06!)The car is very fast stock, and responds quite well with any modifications.The handling (especially with the Z51 suspension) is sick, its beyond words! Also,I met new people too, corvetteforum.com is a great place for meeting fellow Vette people, who are knowledgeable, and help out, they'll get together to go on runs, etc...better than a formal, local "Corvette Club". (I'll also say the majority of Vette owners are not stuck up snobs, or vain mid life crisis guys looking to pick up "babes", in fact , alot of Vette owners are hard core car enthusiasts!) Also,the C5 is very fuel efficient, believe it or not! I was getting 27-28 MPG on the highway, way better than my GT! (about 20.5 MPG) I bought a 2000 FRC in Dec '05 (Fixed Roof Coupe, also called the Hardtop model by Chevy, it looks like Z06, and has a 6 speed manual, Z51 suspension, etc), 35k miles, 1 owner, for $24,000 The car was immaculate, so there are great deals on C5 Vettes, but pass on the '97-'98's look for a '99 and up. Insurance about $500 a year cheaper than my GT . Good Vettes can be found, you can get a good C5 in the 18k and up range, dictated by mileage, year, and condition. There are alot of cars that are baby'ed, they're out there if you have patience, and look.Like I said, great car, but...

CONS: It is very limited in its use, for example, no back seat, and very limited trunk space. This gets real old real quick (At least for me it did). It was fun, but it got old because I couldn't use the car for other things. Definitely not a one car only, you need a back up for "real world" use. I also was going to get into HPDE, and track days, but this gets to be a very expensive hobby, too much $$ for me, and a Vette gets real fun when you drive it like you never should on the street or highway, so to me just driving this type of car only on the street/highway is kind of a waste, you don't see the car's true potential. With C5's watch for the Column Lock Recall, especially on 6 speed manual cars. GM issued a recall but it doesn't work. You need to get whats called a CLB, or Column Lock Bypass . Its an aftermarket device which bypasses the steering column lock feature. A must because the car, with no warning at all,when you go to start the car,it will lock the steering column, and the car will not move, and it has a fuel cut off. You must tow the car to the nearset dealer to have it "fixed"!!!
I also had an intermittent directional problem where the directionals wouldn't work. There is a fix where a new hazards switch is installed. Also had a sneaky water leak which I never found. Also, watch the AC Delco stock battery. They are prone to leaking acid. And guess what? They are mounted right above the PCM!! Many stories of destroyed PCM's due to crappy AC Delco batteries. Also, there is excessive ingestion of oil through the PCV valve setup right into the intake on the early LS1 engines (The LS6's have an improved PCV system and are ok.) An oil catch can/breather element is any easy fix for this, and some cars don't ingest at all. Getting in and out of the car isn't that easy. I have a bad back, and its a pain in the azz to get in and out of (although 1,000% better than getting in and out of a C4!!!) I just got tired of the car, it just sat alot, and I was making payments on it, so thats why I sold it. Its a great car, but it is only a toy, and should not be the only car you own.

THE MUSTANG GT: PROS: I fell in love with the retro styling of the '05-'07 Mustangs. Its like an old musclecar, but with the benefits of modern technology! A win-win situation for me, since I'm a huge muscle car fan, (more than sportscars). Also, what swayed me to the GT was when I rented a Shelby Hertz GTH this past summer! That really set me in the direction of buying a GT, so I got a GT as an alternative to my Vette. I traded in the Vette for it! I must say I like it better than the Vette, although they are like comparing apples to oranges, two totally different types of cars. I couldnt find a stick , so I got an automatic car that was on the lot, which was ok to me. Auto in a Vette? Never! In a Mustang, for some reason I'm okay with that. Anyway, I like the GT because it is more of a real world car (nice trunk, back seat, easier to get in and out of, etc) also, I'm using it way more than I ever used the Vette, and since I'm also paying off the GT, thats means alot too that I'm using it more. Just love this car! This is a way more practical car, yet it is fun too. also, you can definitely get away with having this car as your only one.
CONS: The only cons to me are the gas mileage isn't what the Vette was (but I'm not complaining, I knew this was going to be before buying the GT, its not a Prius, its a performance car!) The insurance is $500 more a year than the Vette, but also the Vette was a 2000 model, and the GT is a 2006 model so I expected the difference. Thats it so far!

THE PONTIAC : I can't comment on it, I don't know of anyone who has one, nor do I know enough about it!

In short, the Vette is faster, and handles way better than the GT, but to me there's more to a car than just that, thats why I have the GT now, its more well rounded.

Well, thats it! Drive each one, think about which one suits your lifestyle right now, how much $$ you have, and go from there! Good luck!

Sorry about the long winded post, but thats my .02 cents on both cars, and if you have more questions, post up!!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a ton man that helps a lot, thats what i like about the GT-more well rounded
Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

You can find a nice usedVette for around 30k, and they are faster than unblown stangs. The insurance is higher, so is upkeep, but thats a Vette.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:44 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

With just intake and tune I was beating C5 Vettes and all they would say is "Is that thing stock?".

If you get a C5 make sure it hasn't been raped by the previous owner, get it from an enthusiast who has kept it garaged and never drove it.

-Jeff
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
rutus
1st Gear Member

The insurance is actually less for the corvette. i had to argue with my ins company for a while on that issue, they wanted about 800 more for the mustang vs vette initially. Their logic was based on more young drivers in mustangs.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

L88
The stock versions of the three you mentioned, the Mustang is in the back of the pack. It takes gears and a program for the mustang to beat the TA, but it will. Gears, program and mufflers and you still lose against the corvette, but look at the cost. If you put as much money into a mustang that a corvette cost the mustang would leave the vet like it was in Park.
Money is the key, not the car. How fast can you afford.

Quick Reply: GT vs Trans Am vs Corvette