Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I saw the new Challengers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:41 PM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I think I saw the new Challengers...

They need to bring back plum crazy purple[8D]
Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

ORIGINAL: chirostang

I am really looking forward to seeing an actual production Challenger. I may have to have it.
I've already seen the prototype at the San Diego International Auto Show, and both my dad and I said we wanted one...Only question is, what will the sticker be at? Because I can pretty much guarantee that there's going to be a dealer markup on it of $5k-$10k right off the start...

I'm kinda wondering if they'll make them and bring back with V6's or if it'll be just a V8. I could see them being marketed with that V6 engine to compete with the V6 Mustangs...I could see that being a replacement DD for my dad, getting rid of his Jaguar 4 door sedan for that one.
There is a lot of speculation flying around about which way they are going to go. It's all rumor and conjecture at this point. The latest is, DaimlerChrysler can't figure out a way to get a V6 Challenger to within $5,000 of a V6 'Stang, so they may not do a V6 at all (although they apparently want that market - but Ford owns it with the V6 'Stang). Apparently, they are going to go with a Hemi first, followed by an SRT model (with a larger Hemi). A manual trans is on the boards. Pricing is rumored to be about $31K for the base model. Of course, this is all rumor and speculation at this point - which people love to do about this car for some reason.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

I hope the Challengers come with a manual transmission. Thats really what I think keeps some car enthusiats away from the SRT line. I wouldn't want a 425 hp performance car with an automatic. I can't believe they don't at least offer a stick for the Crossfire.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

there is a new Dodge Avenger due to go on sale, prlly them you saw

http://www.dodge.com/en/avenger/index.html
Old 01-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

ORIGINAL: chirostang

I am really looking forward to seeing an actual production Challenger. I may have to have it.
I've already seen the prototype at the San Diego International Auto Show, and both my dad and I said we wanted one...Only question is, what will the sticker be at? Because I can pretty much guarantee that there's going to be a dealer markup on it of $5k-$10k right off the start...

I'm kinda wondering if they'll make them and bring back with V6's or if it'll be just a V8. I could see them being marketed with that V6 engine to compete with the V6 Mustangs...I could see that being a replacement DD for my dad, getting rid of his Jaguar 4 door sedan for that one.
There is a lot of speculation flying around about which way they are going to go. It's all rumor and conjecture at this point. The latest is, DaimlerChrysler can't figure out a way to get a V6 Challenger to within $5,000 of a V6 'Stang, so they may not do a V6 at all (although they apparently want that market - but Ford owns it with the V6 'Stang). Apparently, they are going to go with a Hemi first, followed by an SRT model (with a larger Hemi). A manual trans is on the boards. Pricing is rumored to be about $31K for the base model. Of course, this is all rumor and speculation at this point - which people love to do about this car for some reason.
I've been reading a lot of the speculation myself, but only because I'm interested in the car. If it had come out this year and been priced in the same neighborhood as the GT I bought, I might not have gotten the Mustang. But, that's because I've always liked a classic muscle car look, and is also one of the reasons I got the Mustang, because of its retro styling.

I've got a feeling, though, that if the Challenger's reasonably priced (even if it's $5k over the cost of the Mustang) that it's going to give Ford a run for their money.

I know the Camaro's been put up as saying it'll "kill" the Mustang popularity and help Chevy regain some market share, but I just don't see it happening with the body style that they've got. It's not a "retro" look...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:35 AM
CGCSMike

You saw a SubLime '07 Charger Daytona R/T. Next is Plum Crazy due out in July. Past colors were GoManGo, Top Banana, and TorRed. If you don't believe me go to dodge.com. Challenger is due out in July '07 as an early release '08. No V6s, just 3 different flavors of Hemi - 5.7 (350 HP), 6.1(425 HP)& 6.4(525 HP)liters.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:18 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Lookin at the concept pictures on the Dodge site, I still like the appeance of the new Mustang better. IMHO - the only reason to go with the Challenger would be HP/Hemi but you can do the 425HP (or more)with a Mustang for $5-7K which brings it up to the 425hp price - and still have the Mustang styling. I know Car & Driver did a side-by-side and the Mustang GT beat the 400hp GTO. I think the Challenger/Camaro will be 'hot' for about 2 years beacause of people who remembered them (nostalgia) and people who "have to have" the latest thing will get them. Then we'll see... Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

+1 .... just like the GTO... my good friend HAD to have it... and then once he got it... he felt[:'(] and dissapointed afterwards... sold it and bought himself a used 06 Mustang V6!! he bolted a supercharger on it and never looked back..
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Skoshi42

+1 .... just like the GTO... my good friend HAD to have it... and then once he got it... he felt[:'(] and dissapointed afterwards... sold it and bought himself a used 06 Mustang V6!! he bolted a supercharger on it and never looked back..
Well, keep in mind, your friend wasn't buying a REAL GTO. He was buying a Holden Monaro Coupe that was rebadged as a GTO. The "Goat" he got was more of a dog than anything. Don't get me wrong, the Australians have some great cars (The Ford Falcon being one of them), but this one was a swing and a miss on GM's part. It's kinda like, give a wolf a poodle cut, you don't have a poodle, you just have a pi$$ed off wolf!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:55 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Thats the only car I would consider parting ways with my GT for IF I had the money....they're not cheap from what I've been told...I know a guy who's in line for one, paid $40,000, thats no markup!!! Awesome car though