Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerdyne Blower

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:23 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default Powerdyne Blower

Hey Guys,

I know there was another thread about this, but I never got a diffenitive answer. I'm not looking to be crazy fast, I just want a little more power to give those GTOs, STIs, and Evos a good run.

400rwhp sounds to be a good deal. I have an offer for the entire kit $2800 shipped (includes tuner, pump, inject, and MAF). I just want to know if its reliable blower that won't hurt my engine.

I've heard some of the older models need belts and bearings replaced. If those break, I can't drive the car right?? How hard it to to fix?

Like I said, not looking for over 400hp, i want to keep this a daily driver (i'm going to put the cervini kit on it soon). Any opinions??? (also, don't just say 'powerdyne is crap', I want to know why)

~Fred
Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Powerdyne Blower

I will tell you my experience....but as soon as some snooty know-it-all posts about how I don't know anything, I stop posting in those threads. Be prepared for someone to combat my post rather quickly....weigh the arguements and make your own decision.

I have a Powerdyne on my Chevy truck. I am not impressed with the power gains. I was told by people (obviously much more intelligent than myself....even though they probably have no experience with Powerdyne)....that in order for a Chevrolet to gain any HP from a Powerdyne I would needextensive head work, etc etc. Apparently a 250 HP GM Vortech motor has nothing in common with a 300 HP Ford motor.... according to the experts on here.

The advertisment said a Powerdyne would provide a 30-40% increase in HP. That translates to an additional 75-100 HP....of course the experts on this forum probably have some different math for you. The ad DID NOT mention extensive head work.....so I figure that such a thing was not necessary for the 30% increase.

But even with the minimal increase in performance, I was ok with my purchase...until I fried it. I did not drive it hard, only had it at the track ONE time....and one day it started squealing so loud that I could not stand it. It broke in less that 8000 miles. It will need to be taken in for repair before I can sell the truck. Of course, the incredibly intelligent experts on this site will tell me that I installed it wrong or abused it....without knowing a thing about my truck, experience, or situation. In fact I had a friend install it who works with these things....and he was not impressed with my Powerdyne decision from the beginning.

There's not a lot to mess up on the install.He used all the parts from Powerdyne, proper belt, fuel pump, etc etc.He installed it correctly. End of story.Powerdyne is just garbage.

And no, if it breaks you can still drive the vehicle....you just need to remove the belt that powers the supercharger. Your car will run exactly as it did before the modification.

Get ready for people to bash this post. They know better than me, so listen to them and ignore everything I said.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

FredTT, I know you don't want to hear anything negative but I would hate to see you get screwed over two thousand or more dollars once again. You will get what you pay for and quality isn't going to compare to a name like Saleen, Whipple, or KB.

I think you should cut your losses now and save the difference for a different blower. JMO but would hate to see something bad happen.

-Jeff
Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

FredTT, I know you don't want to hear anything negative but I would hate to see you get screwed over two thousand or more dollars once again. You will get what you pay for and quality isn't going to compare to a name like Saleen, Whipple, or KB.

I think you should cut your losses now and save the difference for a different blower. JMO but would hate to see something bad happen.

-Jeff
Thanks for the concern. I actually got the money back from the other one. Thats why i'm shopping around again. I just want to unique. No one has a Powerdyne, which makes it a good and potentially very bad thing.

~Fred
Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

That's awesome, how did you get your money back? I'm in shock, I thought you would never have seen the money for that again.
[sm=happy046.gif]

-Jeff
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

That's awesome, how did you get your money back? I'm in shock, I thought you would never have seen the money for that again.
[sm=happy046.gif]

-Jeff
My credit card company doesn't like fraud. :-) The sent a chargeback to PayPal and they said they would protect me if PayPal tried to collect, so it worked out nicely.Paypal decided to goafter the seller, so I'm off the hook.Now I can shop around some more for something.

~Fred
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

I will tell you my experience....but as soon as some snooty know-it-all posts about how I don't know anything, I stop posting in those threads. Be prepared for someone to combat my post rather quickly....weigh the arguements and make your own decision.

I have a Powerdyne on my Chevy truck. I am not impressed with the power gains. I was told by people (obviously much more intelligent than myself....even though they probably have no experience with Powerdyne)....that in order for a Chevrolet to gain any HP from a Powerdyne I would needextensive head work, etc etc. Apparently a 250 HP GM Vortech motor has nothing in common with a 300 HP Ford motor.... according to the experts on here.

The advertisment said a Powerdyne would provide a 30-40% increase in HP. That translates to an additional 75-100 HP....of course the experts on this forum probably have some different math for you. The ad DID NOT mention extensive head work.....so I figure that such a thing was not necessary for the 30% increase.

But even with the minimal increase in performance, I was ok with my purchase...until I fried it. I did not drive it hard, only had it at the track ONE time....and one day it started squealing so loud that I could not stand it. It broke in less that 8000 miles. It will need to be taken in for repair before I can sell the truck. Of course, the incredibly intelligent experts on this site will tell me that I installed it wrong or abused it....without knowing a thing about my truck, experience, or situation. In fact I had a friend install it who works with these things....and he was not impressed with my Powerdyne decision from the beginning.

There's not a lot to mess up on the install.He used all the parts from Powerdyne, proper belt, fuel pump, etc etc.He installed it correctly. End of story.Powerdyne is just garbage.

And no, if it breaks you can still drive the vehicle....you just need to remove the belt that powers the supercharger. Your car will run exactly as it did before the modification.

Get ready for people to bash this post. They know better than me, so listen to them and ignore everything I said.
Just for being a smartass I was going to mess with you but... Naa I agree even I tend to be an expert on things but then again I am 39 yrs old and have held or do hold santioned licenses in 4 classess or car racing. Now about the Powerdyne... Since I bought one and for a really low end price I did alot of searching and calling around to speed shops while bored at work and I get mixed revues. Some tell me stories of years and years of use with ease and nice power gains and some tell of horrow stories but the como theme sems to be the bad is either on the slightly older blowers or customer error (tuneing and over driving the blower) I have spoken to a shop that put one on a 06 GT a few months ago and with a tune it put 419 rear wheel horsepower (car had headers also if i remember) and they havent heard anything bad about it yet, I asked him to pass my email and phone number to him to get ahold of me so i could se what he thinks of it. If Ford hadn't ****ed up the 07 motors (water neck in diferent location) Id have my blower installed already instead I am waiting for the new piece to be made (told a week or so) I will post video and info on mine once its in good or bad.