Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque specs for factory panhard rod?

Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default torque specs for factory panhard rod?

What's the torque settings for the factory bolts that hold the panhard rod on? I don't have a shop manual so hopefully someone here can look it up for me. I'll pick up a manual tomorrow, I promise.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: torque specs for factory panhard rod?

8 people looked and no one knows the torque amount? Why even click on the post?

Now people will click on it to see if I answered my own question.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:38 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Looked up on my Mustang service manual on CD is says 129 FT/LB for each side also says car should be sitting at curb height when tightening. I got the manual off a guy on ebay for like $13.00. Its an expired bootleg, you got to set your system date back to Aug 2005 or it won't work but its great also has all 2005 & 2006 Ford cars & trucks. One of my favorite purchases from Ebay. Hope it helps. I jacked mine up & slid my ramps under the rear wheels once to do some work, that should get you to curb height.

I was just looking at rear suspension again & the LCA's are also 129 ft lb.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:02 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yep 129 Ft. Lbs. it is.

Richard
Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks. I was thinking the passenger side might be less because the mount is a thinner metal. The reason I asked is because the bmr instructions say 140 ft lbs. and this is what happened to my passenger side bushing after trying to torque it to those specs.

After looking at the factory piece I see why both sides are the same, the factory bar has a metal sleeve that contacts the mounting bracket, not the bushing. I'm going to have to remove my passenger side to see if there is any kind of metal sleeve in there. At any rate I was doing this at night and didn't realize I was crushing the crap out of the poly bushing and this is what it looks like after a few hundred miles. After my torque wrench never clicked I gave up and tightened the drivers side to 120 ft. lbs. to be save.

I loosened the bolt for the picture by the way.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:04 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Did you contact BMR about this???? And get them to replace the bushing????
Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Also what kind of lube did you use on that bushing?

I agree contact BMR they have great customer service and they should replace the bushing at no cost. Make sure you talk to one of the Techs though as the girl that answer the phone for orders will not give you anything for free.

Richard
Old 01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Whatever cheap grease came with the grease gun. I'll have to investigate that futher, it's almost translucent. Are poly bushings supposed to have a special grease?

I emailed BMR,before I made this post,asking how to get another bushing and sent them the picture. I'm thinking maybe I didn't get a metal sleeve throught he bushings on that side. I'll have to remove it tomorrow and double check. That would explain why the bushing was crushed so violently.

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Also what kind of lube did you use on that bushing?

I agree contact BMR they have great customer service and they should replace the bushing at no cost. Make sure you talk to one of the Techs though as the girl that answer the phone for orders will not give you anything for free.

Richard
Old 01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yep you need Silicone Grease (NOT Synthetic). I am actually going out today and buying a new grease gund just for this Silicone Grease. BMR sells it. I learned the hard way. Also not knowing that petroleum based grease destroys the bushings. I purchased two tubes of it from BMR along with a new bushung kit.

Richard
Old 01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

BMR has had problems with all of their bushings doing this ever since they started selling suspension parts [:@]Lack of quality if you ask me, sorry about your inconvience bro. My buddy has had this same problem with his lower control arms from them, he has replaced the bushings twice now. At first he gave me crap on how affordable his suspension parts were from them compaired to my Steeda stuff and now he takes every thing back

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torque specs for factory panhard rod?