MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Optima Battery (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/233659-optima-battery.html)

PinupGirl77 01-19-2007 10:42 PM

Optima Battery

I need some help. We are having trouble installing a Red Top Optima battery. The hood will not shut properly with it installed. Has anyone had this problem?

gatkins94 01-19-2007 10:52 PM

RE: Optima Battery

Well, If the girl in that picture is you, and you drive a supercharged Mustang......I would think you could stop at ANY mechanics shop and get more help than you would EVER need!!!!

Seriously though, does the battery measure the same as the one that came out of the car? I would imagine there's only a small amount of room for a battery to be larger than the stock battery in that car....the engine compartment is quite tight.

PinupGirl77 01-19-2007 10:54 PM

Yup the pic is me;)

The batteries seemed to be the same size when next to each other. I think maybe the top posts could be a problem? I am thinking about moving the posts to the side of the battery.

Sprzout 01-19-2007 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: photolabgirl77

Yup the pic is me;)

The batteries seemed to be the same size when next to each other. I think maybe the top posts could be a problem? I am thinking about moving the posts to the side of the battery.
Dumb question, but...The Optima batteries come with an adapter/riser plate that sits underneath the batteries to help lift it up or keep the battery from sliding, in some cases. I know that's how it is in my '74 Vette. Are you using this adapter plate? If so, try removing it and see if the battery sits lower.

Black06stang 01-19-2007 11:29 PM

Are you married? j/k

Man, all I want in life is hot girl driving a hot car!

Riven02 01-20-2007 12:56 AM

Jeez a girl cant even ask a tech question on here without getting hit on.......Its got to get old.

Sprzout 01-20-2007 01:36 AM

Ahh, she's attractive, but I've got a girlfriend...So I'm trying to help out by asking about that adapter plate. Sometimes it'll say that you "need" the adapter plate, but you don't actually need it. Our '67 Jaguar says, per Optima's website, that it needs the adapter plate; however, when you connect it up in the car, you don't need it because of the area that the battery slides into and how the battery is held down via a modified bracket.

Let us know if you get it to fit, though!

PinupGirl77 01-20-2007 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Riven02

Jeez a girl cant even ask a tech question on here without getting hit on.......Its got to get old.
Don't worry it does not get old :)Its ok.

I did not use the adapter and it still sat too high (when you closed the hood it stayed pushed up a little ):(. The guy at Discount Auto looked it up and it didn't show any Optima batteries that would fit a 2005 Mustang. So I had to go with a different battery that had recessed terminals. If I ever relocate the battery to the trunk, then I will get an Optima :D