Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 11:45 AM
norvokov

Default Stock Spoiler

Hey all,

I own an 07 GT Black...and I'm thinking about removing the spoiler and going with no spoiler. Has anyone done this? I think the car would look better without it. I'm not a big fan of the spoiler. Does it even have a function?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:01 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Spoiler

ORIGINAL: norvokov

Hey all,

I own an 07 GT Black...and I'm thinking about removing the spoiler and going with no spoiler. Has anyone done this? I think the car would look better without it. I'm not a big fan of the spoiler. Does it even have a function?
Hopefully you didn't order it that way but either way it's there. It would be difficult to have it welded and finished such that you won't notice something there over time. The metal is so thin and these body panel weld applications on smooth refelective panels is just difficult to achieve a result that will in 3-5 years look the same as it did the day it came out of the shop. I would see if a dealer would take 200$ to swap a no spoiler (V6) lid for yours. A small dealership might be best as you could be talking to the owner. They get a spoiler lid and $200 and you get a bargain. Dealer could do the swap, lock has to swap too remember.

I love the clean look of no spoiler and it was great that Ford realized earlier mustangs didn't have one. It's functions are two. Slows you down with increased drag; more work to wax around this thing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/E96C1D99756645BFB19453A4B3A38831.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/5FA923CDBE1A419FB3D746929D3E2EA9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/7713960FA0354A24998D51C4605A6DDB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

I'm in the same situation - my black GT came with a spoiler that I did not want. Unfortunately, my dealership would not swap trunks with another vehicle. So, my car goes in the body shop next week to have the holes filled (welded). Most body shops charge more that what it's worth, but I have a guy that does excellent work and will not charge me much. I received quotes as high as $1200! What the heck - I could buy a new trunk and have it painted for less than that!

My body guy told me that there's a chance that I'll see a very, very slight "circle" where each hole was, but he'll do his best to make sure that you can't.

Fairlane, do you think it's work just buying a new trunk? Although I plan to eventually put a CDC ducktail spoiler on it, I may just keep it without a spoiler. I'm very particular about the paint on my car. I guess I could just have the body work done and see how it goes...

Nick
Old 01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

I would try finding a wrecked a 6 banger someplace and buy the decklid off it (wrecking yards)...seems like that would be better, and cheaper. Only have to repaint it then, and no holes to deal with.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

I did mine as well. I just took the lowest profile bolts I could find, painted them with touchup paint and used small neoprene washers to keep them from leaking. This is a temporary fix until I can get them filled OR get a new deck lid.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:52 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

I saw one at a stang meet last weekend where the guy took the spoiler off, left the holes and put some kind of tape underneath. Looks like crap, you can see the outline in the paint where the glue/spoiler used to be, and of the course the holes...may as well leave the spoiler on until you can fix it right.

I just did a quick search, and came up with this link for a new deck lid, $266.http://www.fordparts-fordparts-fordp.../security.html

Here's the link directly to the trunk lid, seems to me the way to go...then you could sell your lid/spoiler to someone who wants/needs one. recoup some of your expense

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...mp;catalogid=2
Old 01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nixtang

I'm in the same situation - my black GT came with a spoiler that I did not want. Unfortunately, my dealership would not swap trunks with another vehicle. So, my car goes in the body shop next week to have the holes filled (welded). Most body shops charge more that what it's worth, but I have a guy that does excellent work and will not charge me much. I received quotes as high as $1200! What the heck - I could buy a new trunk and have it painted for less than that!

My body guy told me that there's a chance that I'll see a very, very slight "circle" where each hole was, but he'll do his best to make sure that you can't.

Fairlane, do you think it's work just buying a new trunk? Although I plan to eventually put a CDC ducktail spoiler on it, I may just keep it without a spoiler. I'm very particular about the paint on my car. I guess I could just have the body work done and see how it goes...

Nick
Since you are very particular about the paint on your car I would only have the holes welded as a last resort. You won't see any impressions when he's done but the chance you will in the few years that follow is about 99%. ...and how notiecabl ethis will be but inblack one spec of dust is noticeable. Dealers won't do a straight swap but might for 200-300. Heck it's worth $300. even if you find one in the yard it will likely need to be painted inside and out; you'll pay way over $300 for that solution. A small dealer, owner will think about getting a spoiler lid and $300. It's worth $300 to you to have it the way you want in OE form. ...stop by every dealer you can and ask to see the general manager or owner. ...try not to pose the question to a salesperson or sevice mgr; they will just blow you off. You need to ask the owner, and for the extra $100, I'd go with $300, $200 will not get enough attention and theyneed to pull two lids change locks AND not scratch two cars in the process. This is why dealing with a private party just ain't gonna happen.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 PM
GT427
1st Gear Member

I'm with fairlane, check around at the dealers in your area. A spoiler on a V6 is a good selling point. Especially since there is starting to be used '05's and '06's on the lots.

Another idea, check for local mustang clubs in your area. Our cars are new enough, you might find a guy with the same color who will swap you deck lids.

Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 PM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

I ordered mine without the spoiler. I may add a ducktail in the future. But I like the clean look.

Ruf -

[IMG]local://upfiles/54696/F1351928E8C44293BBE4B4E319CF59E9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-20-2007, 06:11 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

ORIGINAL: norvokov

Hey all,

Hopefully you didn't order it that way but either way it's there. It would be difficult to have it welded and finished such that you won't notice something there over time. The metal is so thin and these body panel weld applications on smooth refelective panels is just difficult to achieve a result that will in 3-5 years look the same as it did the day it came out of the shop. I would see if a dealer would take 200$ to swap a no spoiler (V6) lid for yours. A small dealership might be best as you could be talking to the owner. They get a spoiler lid and $200 and you get a bargain. Dealer could do the swap, lock has to swap too remember.

I love the clean look of no spoiler and it was great that Ford realized earlier mustangs didn't have one. It's functions are two. Slows you down with increased drag; more work to wax around this thing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/E96C1D99756645BFB19453A4B3A38831.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/5FA923CDBE1A419FB3D746929D3E2EA9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/7713960FA0354A24998D51C4605A6DDB.jpg[/IMG]
Great looking paint! I'll bet that set you back a buck or two.

Quick Reply: Stock Spoiler