Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help removing rear shocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
GTR1

Default RE: Need help removing rear shocks!!

I just installed a new Saleen suspension system on my 06 GT. I used a 3/8 Air inpact and it zipped them off with no problem without spinning the shock. The best way I found was to pulse the gun. If you don't have one Advance will lend one to you. You have to pay for it but they will refund the cost after your done.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTR1

I just installed a new Saleen suspension system on my 06 GT. I used a 3/8 Air inpact and it zipped them off with no problem without spinning the shock. The best way I found was to pulse the gun. If you don't have one Advance will lend one to you. You have to pay for it but they will refund the cost after your done.
I tried that and just spun the shock.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

You may have to thread the nut back down a little way and then take a cutoff wheel to the portion where you messed the threads up and simply cut that portion off. But my guess is you do not have that kind of tool.. CrazyAl is correct the threads go all the way to the top

Richard
Old 01-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Yes the threads go all the way to the top but they taper in, and the big nut is much bigger.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:16 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the nut splitter, everyone shoul have one, save alot of aggravation.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:35 AM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: blk05stang

There aren't any threads on the the top 1/4 inch of the bolt thats why I used the vice grips. I was able to get if off by having somone hold the top of the shock so it didnt turn in the wheel well. Thanks for the suggestions.
Look closely. The threads do go all the way to the top. There are two flat spots where they cut the threads away so you can put a wrench on there--at first glance it might look like there are no threads, but they are there.
Yeap you're right. I'm surprised I didn't screw up the threads with the vice grips but they were still fine.

BTW I really like the Tokico D-specs. I put them 5 turns from full hard and the car rides just like stock with the eibach pro-kit springs. Then I tried 1 turn from hard and the car was very tight and I could feel every bump on the road but had much better handling and steering response. It's also a piece of cake to adjust them and takes about 2 mins for all 4. I highly recommend this mod!!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:47 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Air tools make it easy.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 AM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

You may have to thread the nut back down a little way and then take a cutoff wheel to the portion where you messed the threads up and simply cut that portion off. But my guess is you do not have that kind of tool.. CrazyAl is correct the threads go all the way to the top

Richard
?
If worst comes to worst: Dremel with cutoff wheel. Prep area to catch shavings first. Wear eye pro.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:34 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

There aren't any threads on the the top 1/4 inch of the bolt thats why I used the vice grips. I was able to get if off by having somone hold the top of the shock so it didnt turn in the wheel well. Thanks for the suggestions.
Look closely. The threads do go all the way to the top. There are two flat spots where they cut the threads away so you can put a wrench on there--at first glance it might look like there are no threads, but they are there.
Yeap you're right. I'm surprised I didn't screw up the threads with the vice grips but they were still fine.

BTW I really like the Tokico D-specs. I put them 5 turns from full hard and the car rides just like stock with the eibach pro-kit springs. Then I tried 1 turn from hard and the car was very tight and I could feel every bump on the road but had much better handling and steering response. It's also a piece of cake to adjust them and takes about 2 mins for all 4. I highly recommend this mod!!
You did 5 turns from full hard, what are max turns for the softest setting? and could you try this setting and report back? ...would really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

You did 5 turns from full hard, what are max turns for the softest setting? and could you try this setting and report back? ...would really appreciate it. Thanks
7 1/2 turns is full soft. It says in the manual that 7 1/2 turns would be softer than stock and 5 feels like stock to me, maybe a little stiffer. I will give full soft a try this week sometime and let you know how it feels.

Quick Reply: Need help removing rear shocks!!