Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shaker hood

Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 AM
thesource
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: shaker hood

The 07 Gt I bought my wife has a shaker looking hood on it but its not functional . She just liked the way it looked .

Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
bfoster01
I ♥ Acer

Looks very nice - better than the Shaker I think. It has nice proportions. As you can see, the shaker hood is not really a"performance" mod ("semi-functional" at best) and looks kind of small for the new hood IMHO. (some people love them though) Also, you can use the money for other mods. Great looking car.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
ponyskunk06
1st Gear Member

allow me to propose this question due to some info i got from a classic designs rep (ill post the actual email next) if you were to actually seall the system ie joints in the pipe and the stock airbox's side snorkel wouldnt it then be functional ram air at higher speedsbeing as it is right on top of the hood and the airspeed is is moving pretty fast fast enough to move my hand around when itsoutside the car ( i mean superchargers have pretty convoluted plumbing too i think people arent seeing gains becasue the A. used it with a CAI wich is pretty much like blowing on a CAI Albet pretty hard. B. the system isnt sealed as stated above and C. with a dyno all they have is a paint drying fan blowing on it which isnt really simulating the actualoperating enviroment.Im just throwing in my .02 thats ive been mulling over sitting here in BNCOC.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 PM
ponyskunk06
1st Gear Member

heres the email
Hi SSG Kirk!

Thanks for the interest and email. To be completely honest, we have not had a chance to dyno our v6 Shaker as our sister company Wheel to Wheel has had the car since the Shaker was developed. They are working on a Rotrex supercharger system for the car. Because the Shaker retains the use of the factory intake system (warranty safe) and does not require an aftermarket tune, the system is somewhat cosmetic in nature but should provide a modest gain of 2-3% on a dyno, equivalent to what a cold air intake would likely provide. Again, on a dyno, the vehicle is sitting still with a fan blowing on it… not exactly a real world environment or real-world air volume, when compared to driving down the street. Logically, the Shaker is pulling air from the top of the hood… good clean cold air, not air from inside a fenderwell or behind a headlight.

The kit includes a replacement S&B panel filter that is washable and reusable, like a K&N. The stock air snorkel on the air box is left open, but one could easily block that opening off, making this a sealed and pressurized system. The kit is adaptable to other aftermarket cold air intakes, as well as centrifugal supercharger systems.

I hope this helps (and was no-bull)! If there is anything else I can assist with, please let me know. Thanks again,
Old 01-24-2007, 04:43 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

You won't notice any improvements with the shaker scoop, it does look sweet in person though. When I put mine on, I went to a car show with it, and people were coming from all around just to ask questions about it. Definetly worth the money just for that, if you liked to be noticed. If you plug off the factory hole in the air box and just have air coming from the shaker, it sounds awesome hearing the air getting sucked in when you rev it up.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

Personally, I think with the added bends in the intake (even with a sealed system) you're not going to see any significant "over-all" gains. In fact, compared to a regular CAI, it's probably making less power throughout the powerband. My guess is that at low RPM, the throttle will tend to bog a bit until all that extra tubing gets flowing well at higher RPM's, where you may be getting a decent gain from the "ram" effect. As for whp numbers, I agree that you'd have to compare numbers with a "street" dyno like the gtech pro to get that ram air working.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:51 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

I kind of disagree. I wouldn't say that there is no effect from the shaker. I know my car pulled a little harder at speeds over 40mph. But your right, you would not make this investment if you were looking for a performance mod. As someone said if that is hat you are looking for , the money is better spent on a CAI & Tune. This is more about esthetics and the retro look.

I also noticed that it showed just a little cooler on the temp gauge in my case and the guys that had reported hood shaking at high speeds said it virtually eliminated that

I get more of a kick out of it shaking with the engine than anything else..
Old 02-20-2007, 03:53 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Interesting thread.. I was thinking about getting one and putting on mat/flat-black racing stripes.. thought it would look cool. I would feel better about that if there was a good gain from it (we all know stripes add 10 rwhp).
Also, is it bad to block the air box and rely on the shaker? Is there less flow?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:58 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

i was gonna get a shaker but i figured id get better gains from the mmr intake. so im gonna get that soon