Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 shelby vs 2006 saleen

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 shelby vs 2006 saleen

Great play. If you later decide you want the GT500 instead, you'll likely be able to buy one next year at or below MSRP.

Welcome to Saleen ownership. Get the 475hp upgrade asap (read the posts in the Saleen forum as to why) and post some pix soon!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 PM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Actually, Look up JDM Engineering...they are amazing with Saleens. That's the first thing you should do.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i hope you get to do a burn out or two in the shelby before its goes bye-bye

imo, shelby wins - if for NO other reason than the name and who it represents. silly? maybe - but people like steve saleen look up to carroll
Old 01-24-2007, 12:58 PM
ponyskunk06
1st Gear Member

I dunno man i wouldve kept the shelby its a heritage and collectors thing and beside it will never go down in value like you said someone offered you 5k more for it just after you bought iti wouldve taken the 5 k got another shelby and modded it CAI Pully Tune Nitrous it would have been a beast then
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
kopfjager
1st Gear Member

I would never pick any Saleen over a factory Shelby Mustang.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:05 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elburrito99

I pondered this exact question for several months last year while I was searching for a Shelby. I ultimately chose a Saleen S281 SC. It is not my daily driver, but I do drive it 2-3x a week. Despite the similarities in price and power, the Saleen and Shelby are very different cars with very different ownership experiences. I based my decision to buy the Saleen on the following factors:

[blockquote]
1)Power -- 475hp (with the Saleen upgrade) is plenty of power for me. Minor upgrades should get you to 500+hp fairly easily. This was PLENTY of power for a daily driver car. The Saleen can hit 60 in about 4 seconds and can easily smoke tires in first and second gear. Can you get 700hp out of the Shelby's iron block? Possibly. Would you want to drive that kind of power regularly on streets and in traffic? Not likely.
2) Handling -- I think the Saleen wins hands down. MM&FF magazine had the 425hp Saleen beating a C6 Vette'slap timeon a track. I've yet to see the Shelby do that. Even with an upgraded suspension, the Shelby has to deal with having so much weight sitting ahead of its front tires.
3) Speed -- The Saleen is a few hundred pounds lighter with about the same hp. Enough said.
4) Reliability -- Although the Shelby is untested,my guess is it will be more reliable than the Saleen because Ford is making 20k+ of them and they're not that different in many respects from stock Mustangs. I was not too bothered by this, since the Saleen has a full warranty (the '07 Saleen has the longer Ford warranty for non-modified parts),and I don't need to rely on my Saleen to be a daily driver.
Be forewarned -- for either car, warranty repairs will take longer than stock Mustangs since dealers won't keep most of the upgraded/modified parts in stock.
5) Comfort -- I prefer the Saleen, with its upgraded interior and improved ride.
6) Exclusivity/uniqueness -- The Saleen is much, muchmore rare. I believe Saleen made 79 supercharged convertibles in '05. Ford is producing 10,000 Shelbys for '07 and '08 (I believe about 1/3 being convertibles). I have heard Ford will extend production into a 3rd year as well.
7) Design -- Literally every week or so a stranger will ask me what it is that I'm driving. Enough said.
9) Long-term value -- This is ultimately a crapshoot. But with about 10x as many Shelbys being made each year as supercharged Saleens, there will be far less supply of Saleens down the road. That generally equates to higher resale value years down the road.
9) Intangibles --The sound of the Saleenis unbelievable (and much more agressive than the Shelby). And I love the way it looks and feels. I also love the stance of the car and how the wheelsfill up almost ever millimeter ofthe wheel wells (also much different than the Shelby). Saleen put a lot of thought and effort into the design of this car, and it shows.[/blockquote]

Ultimately, it is a very personal decision, so you have to go with your gut. I would strongly recommend actually sitting in both cars and test driving them, or at least hearing the engines start up (from what I understand, Saleen requires its dealers to allow customers to test drive their Saleens). Good luck and post pix once you decide and close the deal!
--Stu
Another great example of a "this is what I did" - now -"you-should-do-it" post.

By any objective criteria, the GT 500 is a superior long term buy. Unfortunately it's overpriced, but it's indisputable.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:26 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

to further elaborate on my last post.... even though there is SO much more power to be made with the shebly i believe it i could afford to buy one i would get the car with any options available and keep it BONE stock and not use it as a DD.

in twenty, thirty years, these cars (in unmolested condition) will fetch high prices - i firmly believe that
Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 PM
chevysalesman614

ORIGINAL: my77stang

to further elaborate on my last post.... even though there is SO much more power to be made with the shebly i believe it i could afford to buy one i would get the car with any options available and keep it BONE stock and not use it as a DD.

in twenty, thirty years, these cars (in unmolested condition) will fetch high prices - i firmly believe that
i agree whole heartedly with this guy here.. ( i know no one values my opinion here, but i do come from a long line of car enthusiasts) if you do get the shelby, dont mod it man, we have all seen unrestored shelbys go for insane amounts of money on barrett-jackson.. think about the future. your car will be a piece of american history in 30 years, and if it's in good shape, your grandkids can go to harvard
Old 01-24-2007, 03:25 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mail906
Another great example of a "this is what I did" - now -"you-should-do-it" post.
Not sure what you meant by the above. I hope it wasn't intended to mean "this is a great example of someone saying 'this is how I reached my decision and now you should come to the same conclusion as me.'"

In fact,I specifically noted in my post that "ultimately, it is a very personal decision, so you have to go with your gut. I would strongly recommend actually sitting in both cars and test driving them...."
Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevysalesman614

ORIGINAL: my77stang

i agree whole heartedly with this guy here.. ( i know no one values my opinion here, but i do come from a long line of car enthusiasts) if you do get the shelby, dont mod it man, we have all seen unrestored shelbys go for insane amounts of money on barrett-jackson.. think about the future. your car will be a piece of american history in 30 years, and if it's in good shape, your grandkids can go to harvard
It IS a Mustang forum, and you ARE a Chevy guy, but at least its American made. Dont assume that we all are brand biased because there are actually alot of us here that like all American muscle/sports cars, not just Fords. [8D] Chevys and Dodges have their plus's.

But yeah, In all honesty, if I had the money and I was in it purely for the excitement of having a nice, extremely fast car and driving it all the time... I would have bought a GT, dropped and engine in it, modified all the suspension, looks etc.. and had myself a nice Shelby killer.
However, if I was in it for the investment, I would have bought a Shelby (probably Grabber Orange or something rare like that), and immediately had it towed and parked in an aircraft hanger for 30 years, only touching it every now and then to maintain the leather and paint job, to start it up to keep the engine in working condition etc. Imagine what a Shelby would go for in 2040 that has only 4 miles on it... (keep in mind you have to have at least 5 miles on the odo before the supercharger is allowed to kick in.)

Quick Reply: 2007 shelby vs 2006 saleen