Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 shelby vs 2006 saleen

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 PM
scoville99

Default 2007 shelby vs 2006 saleen

i am set to finalize a deal on a 2007 Shelby black w/white stripes for $57k..or i can get a 2006 Saleen for $45k(supercharched but not s281e)..is the handling on the saleen that much netter?? whats the better deal?..thanks..i am a newbie to the site, not to Ford, i have a 98 Cobra & had 3 GT's previously......
Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 shelby vs 2006 saleen

Get the shelby the potential is far greater than the Saleen. You can do some suspension work for not too much. The 4.6 can never do what that 5.4 can do. Go with the Shelby.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
scoville99

I appreciate the input...i am getting this to be an every day driver, not a collectable, does that make a difference, I hear the ride of the Saleen is suppose to be soooo much better..is that true??
Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

The ride is better but sooner or later you will do some mods and the GT500 is a far superior template for that than a GT with some add ons you can do yourself. Bottom line a complete suspension overhaul will cost you 1500 bucks. But it is impossible to get the 4.6 to compete with the potential of the 5.4 The 4.6 just cant do it. Also the S281sc is still a stock block if you ever want more power you will be limited by the internals of the engine. The 5.4 however is forged from the factory and the power is seriously undertuned. Wiht just a reflash those bad boys are throwing down 475 rwhp.
Bottom line mustangs are meant to be customized and sooner or later you will do little things to it to make it better. The GT500 will do things no other mustang can do without major overhauling.
Dude go with the GT500
Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

That seems like a high price for the shelby but if spending another 10K is fine with you then go for the shelby. I know its very hard to get one for MSRP.

It responds better than the terminators as far as mods go. A reflash, CAI, O/R X, pulley, and you have 580+whp for about 1500 bucks. That's about 200whp more than the 425hp SC S281 can do. Yes you can bump up the saleen to 475 hp but that still won't even come close. The handling out of the box is better and the car is lighter but as everyone else is saying the shelby is the better base to start with.

I wish I was in your position. What color is the shelby?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I say just get a GT and then snag the 5.4 that is in the GT500... you could easily build a Shelby AND Saleen killer for less than youd pay for them.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

is there any chance you can get an s281-e for close to $57k? personally, i'd rather pay $60+k for the s281-e than $57k for the shelby gt500. i think $45k for the s281 supercharged is too much relative to the list price of the shelby; others have already pointed out that the s281 supercharged's engine is stock and has less displacement than the shelby. i just wish that ford put $55k on the shelby gt500 sticker; that would have made things easier all around, i think, rather than having to pay significantly overthe mythical low list price, creating resale issues, insurance issues, financing issues, etc.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:23 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

I pondered this exact question for several months last year while I was searching for a Shelby. I ultimately chose a Saleen S281 SC. It is not my daily driver, but I do drive it 2-3x a week. Despite the similarities in price and power, the Saleen and Shelby are very different cars with very different ownership experiences. I based my decision to buy the Saleen on the following factors:

[blockquote]
1)Power -- 475hp (with the Saleen upgrade) is plenty of power for me. Minor upgrades should get you to 500+hp fairly easily. This was PLENTY of power for a daily driver car. The Saleen can hit 60 in about 4 seconds and can easily smoke tires in first and second gear. Can you get 700hp out of the Shelby's iron block? Possibly. Would you want to drive that kind of power regularly on streets and in traffic? Not likely.
2) Handling -- I think the Saleen wins hands down. MM&FF magazine had the 425hp Saleen beating a C6 Vette'slap timeon a track. I've yet to see the Shelby do that. Even with an upgraded suspension, the Shelby has to deal with having so much weight sitting ahead of its front tires.
3) Speed -- The Saleen is a few hundred pounds lighter with about the same hp. Enough said.
4) Reliability -- Although the Shelby is untested,my guess is it will be more reliable than the Saleen because Ford is making 20k+ of them and they're not that different in many respects from stock Mustangs. I was not too bothered by this, since the Saleen has a full warranty (the '07 Saleen has the longer Ford warranty for non-modified parts),and I don't need to rely on my Saleen to be a daily driver.
Be forewarned -- for either car, warranty repairs will take longer than stock Mustangs since dealers won't keep most of the upgraded/modified parts in stock.
5) Comfort -- I prefer the Saleen, with its upgraded interior and improved ride.
6) Exclusivity/uniqueness -- The Saleen is much, muchmore rare. I believe Saleen made 79 supercharged convertibles in '05. Ford is producing 10,000 Shelbys for '07 and '08 (I believe about 1/3 being convertibles). I have heard Ford will extend production into a 3rd year as well.
7) Design -- Literally every week or so a stranger will ask me what it is that I'm driving. Enough said.
9) Long-term value -- This is ultimately a crapshoot. But with about 10x as many Shelbys being made each year as supercharged Saleens, there will be far less supply of Saleens down the road. That generally equates to higher resale value years down the road.
9) Intangibles --The sound of the Saleenis unbelievable (and much more agressive than the Shelby). And I love the way it looks and feels. I also love the stance of the car and how the wheelsfill up almost ever millimeter ofthe wheel wells (also much different than the Shelby). Saleen put a lot of thought and effort into the design of this car, and it shows.[/blockquote]
Ultimately, it is a very personal decision, so you have to go with your gut. I would strongly recommend actually sitting in both cars and test driving them, or at least hearing the engines start up (from what I understand, Saleen requires its dealers to allow customers to test drive their Saleens). Good luck and post pix once you decide and close the deal!
--Stu
p.s. Check out some impressive pix of a fellow mustangforum.com member's Saleen at:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2563709/tm.htm
Old 01-23-2007, 07:01 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Amazing comparison.

ORIGINAL: elburrito99

I pondered this exact question for several months last year while I was searching for a Shelby. I ultimately chose a Saleen S281 SC. It is not my daily driver, but I do drive it 2-3x a week. Despite the similarities in price and power, the Saleen and Shelby are very different cars with very different ownership experiences. I based my decision to buy the Saleen on the following factors:

[blockquote]
1)Power -- 475hp (with the Saleen upgrade) is plenty of power for me. Minor upgrades should get you to 500+hp fairly easily. This was PLENTY of power for a daily driver car. The Saleen can hit 60 in about 4 seconds and can easily smoke tires in first and second gear. Can you get 700hp out of the Shelby? Possibly. Would you want to drive that kind of power regularly on streets and in traffic? Not likely.
2) Handling -- I think the Saleen wins hands down. MM&FF magazine had the 425hp Saleen beating a C6 Vette'slap timeon a track. I've yet to see the Shelby do that. Even with an upgraded suspension, the Shelby has to deal with having so much weight sit ahead of its front tires.
3) Speed -- The Saleen is a few hundred pounds lighter with about the same hp. Enough said.
4) Reliability -- Although the Shelby is untested,my guess is it will be more reliable than the Saleen because Ford is making 20k+ of them and they're not that different in many respects from stock Mustangs. I was not too bothered by this, since the Saleen has a full warranty (the '07 Saleen has the longer Ford warranty for non-modified parts),and I don't need to rely on my Saleen to be a daily driver.
Be forewarned -- for either car, warranty repairs will take longer than stock Mustangs since dealers won't keep most of the upgraded/modified parts in stock.
5) Comfort -- I prefer the Saleen, with its upgraded interior and improved ride.
6) Exclusivity/uniqueness -- The Saleen is much, muchmore rare. I believe Saleen made 79 supercharged convertibles in '05. Ford is producing 10,000 Shelbys for '07 and '08 (I believe about 1/3 being convertibles). I have heard Ford will extend production into a 3rd year as well.
7) Design -- Literally every week or so a stranger will ask me what it is that I'm driving. Enough said.
9) Long-term value -- This is ultimately a crapshoot. But with about 10x as many Shelbys being made each year as supercharged Saleens, there will be far less supply of Saleens down the road. That generally equates to higher resale value years down the road.
9) Intangibles --The sound of the Saleenis unbelievable (and much more agressive than the Shelby). And I love the way it looks and feels. I also love the stance of the car and how the wheelsfill up almost ever millimeter ofthe wheel wells (also much different than the Shelby). Saleen put a lot of thought and effort into the design of this car, and it shows.[/blockquote]
Ultimately, it is a very personal decision, so you have to go with your gut. I would strongly recommend actually sitting in both cars and test driving them, or at least hearing the engines start up (from what I understand, Saleen requires its dealers to allow customers to test drive their Saleens). Good luck and post pix once you decide and close the deal!
--Stu
p.s. Check out some impressive pix of a fellow mustangforum.com member's Saleen at:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2563709/tm.htm
Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
scoville99

thank you all so very much, i appreciate the responses...basically i bought both today, fact is while at the dealer someone offered me $5k more for the Shelby GT500, I paid $57k for it& am getting $62k tomorrow for the car...I got the supercharged Saleen for $45k but will now only end uppaying $40k so I think I ended up with a great deal being as Ive seen the Saleen s281going for $55k...the Shelby is black w/white stripes & the Saleen is yellow with black accents.....I will post pic's & I look forward to chatting with you all very soon...this is a great site!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2007 shelby vs 2006 saleen