MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/235736-ford-mustang-reliability-how-does-it-compare.html)

mkaresh 01-24-2007 03:03 PM

Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare?

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I haven't started collecting data on the Mustang yet, because not enough are enrolled. In fact, I didn't expect to start any time soon, since sports car owners tend to be less interested in reliability info than the typical car buyer.

But I've actually had quite a few Mustang owners sign up, such that for the 2005, 2006, and 2007 model years I'm not far off the minimum needed to start collecting data.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

my77stang 01-24-2007 04:58 PM

RE: Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare?

i can tell you the interior quality (and most plastics on the car) is poor - i.e. seat release levers break off, door mirrors rattle internally (easily fixed), trim pieces on the door rattle (easily fixed), other trim pieces in the dash rattle.

the hood flexes at high speeds, which isnt technically a problem but is kinda scary

i had a clutch pack in the rear end replaced at approx 10k miles and it started going bad around 5k - i think this has been an instance where more rear ends are going bad than should be.

....if any of this helps

timothyrw 01-24-2007 07:30 PM

i signed up my 2006 gt but i'm waiting on a few more before you start tracking them...

fyi, love your epinion reviews.

2oo5stang 01-24-2007 07:44 PM

Within the 1st 3 months of me owning my stang, i took it in to have the headlight replaced due to condensation, then took it in for #6 COP went bad, then took it in cause my parking light and brake lights would stay on after it rained and the carpet by the passenger side kick panel was damp. Then took it in because my Ebrake stopped working. but i still love her.

Drivesthebeast 01-24-2007 08:15 PM

2nd week I bought this car (bought it 2nd hand, I'm the 2nd owner), I had the freezing E-brake problem, which was to be rectified by the TSB for that problem. Then, while I was on christmas break, I had the car lock itself, while it was running. I had to get a locksmith to come and open the car (which took 90 minutes, and $50 to take care of).

Besides that, only had the stock Shaker 500 HU screw up 1 time (it decided to spit out all of the discs for no reason). The car has been rock solid since, including cold starting (-30 celcius here folks).

I don't think I'll part with this car, and the winter driving of it will end the 1st wkd of February, when I go and get my truck from my parents place.

L8tz

mkaresh 01-25-2007 02:21 PM

Those of you who signed up, thanks. Still need a few more, but we're now much closer to the minimum to get started than we were. A few more will do it.

Juntech 01-25-2007 02:28 PM

Mkaresh,

Please look in these threads:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2513273/tm.htm

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58821

I have conducted a poll in both forums consisting of over 400 mustang owners. I believe this data is VERY accurate and gives future buyers a good idea what to expect. It is in line with consumer reports' data. Most people don't believe consumer reports, but if you pick up the latest issue and check out these polls plus the kind of problems people are having, it all makes sense.

I'm all for sporty cars being reliable!

mkaresh 01-27-2007 12:56 PM

Interesting results. I do wonder why over twice as many people reported serious problems on this forum than on the other. This may be a function of small number of people who reported major problems, but I suspect there's a bit more to it than that. Something is distorting the results, but not so much that nothing can be learned here. I think your polls do provide a good sense of problem rates, even if they provide no actual numbers.

My approach has a few advantages, but then it should as I've put a huge amount of time into it:

1.Reduced non-response bias:how many people viewed the poll, but did not vote? The lower the participation rate, the more you've got to wonder if biases lead people to respond; also, assuming Mustang owners want you to buy a Mustang, they're going to minimize the extent and severity of their problems when answering, since that's what's at stake here; the way I deal with this issue is that people only report problems that happen after they sign up, such that they don't know what they'll be reporting at the time they decide to participate--also:

2. Less subjective questions; my survey lists issues that aren't reportable (maintenance and wear items); all else gets reported if it resulted in a trip to the shop; "minor" vs. "major" is too subjective, though you do define them a bit; one of my major issues with Consumer Reports is that the survey question asks people to report "problems that you considered serious." That's way too subjective, it lets in way too much potential bias. Like the car? Dealer treated you well? Then a serious problem might not be "considered" serious. Yours is better than CR's, which shouldn't happen since they have decades of experience.

3. Your results do indicate something I've been finding, that even in cars that have below average reliability many owners have no problems. But they don't quite get at problem rates, because people cannot report how many problems they had.

4. You combine problem severity and problem frequency in the same question. This could have messed things up, but since few people responded to answers 4 and 5 it didn't--you got lucky here. I don't understand #5: how does the dealer doing a good job mean there are no more problems? How does this fit with the other responses? In any survey question, the alternative responses should be mutually exclusive, it should not be possible for more than one to be correct.

If you have any future polls you'd like to post, and need a second set of eyes on the question, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

xbone 01-27-2007 05:53 PM

These new stangs are like Lexus in build quality compared to the last ones. Am i the only one who remembers the late 70's Trans ams and Vettes, and the way people used to buy them with rattling doors and rust from the factory? And not complain? Its night and day. Anybody whining about the new stangs is type A, they are lightyears from the old Big 3 cars. You can buy a friggin Acura if you want near perfection, and get smoked by a stock new stang.

bfoster01 01-27-2007 05:57 PM

If you drive a Ford Mustang