Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some kind of brownish redish fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Some kind of brownish redish fluid...

Normally brake and power steering fluids are clear while ATF is usually red. You will have to stick your head under the car to see where it is coating the components of the car. Since you have an auto and it is leaking in front of the engine then I suspect that it is one of the fittings connecting the tubing from the tranny to the radiator. Your tranny cooler is built into the radiator so look for two 1/4" metal tubes connecting to one of your radiator end caps. Hopefully it's one of the tubing fittings and not the cooler itself.

Just for grins, check your power steering pump to see if the fluid in your car is red. Broncos used to have a problem where if you started them with the wheels turned, the darn pump would start spewing fluid for a few seconds.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang
a competent dealer should be able to fix you right up. (emphasis on "competent" and "should")
Let me know when you find one of these mythical beasts [&:].

ORIGINAL: LoLO
Too much fluid ? that's BS. If that was the answer it would have leaked at the begining or right after a service not just like that this morning.
I totally agree it's BS. I'm surprised I didn't say that in my previous post lol. I just remember people saying that's what the stealerships were saying.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:34 AM
LoLO
1st Gear Member

Now that you tell me that... Maybe it happens when I start with my wheels turned..

What was the solution to this problem ?

Anyway, Im going tomorrow so I'll let you know.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

I poked my head under the hood of my GT this morning and the power steering resivoir is on the drivers side of the radiator and the fluid is clear so I doubt that it is power steering fluid unless it is getting really contaminated. Also ATF is bright red, like cherry flavored cough medicine. You should have someone else start you car while you try to observe where it came from.

Finally the Bronco fix probably wouldn't work here as we would go looking at other F-series or E-series trucks for better parts and just swap them out.

Again good luck