Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question about factory warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: quick question about factory warranty!

ORIGINAL: doodad

Thanks guys.. looks like it is all up to dealer! well, i know clutch is not covered by warranty and my clutch is slipping. (stock car with 16k miles on and i amnot racing everyday and matue enough to know how to drive a car normally). My wife is working for ford motor co. at dealer development and she has some dealerships to go sometimes and do bussiness.. she talked to dealer owner and he asked me to come by and drop the car and he can prive me a loan car. i am hoping they would cover but i really doubt it.. another question, pro 5.0 shifter has NOTHING to do with clutch right?

thanks again.
Not really. Your clutch shouldn't be covered regardless of what shifter you have installed. Driving habits andbroken components and physical contamination (oil, water, et cetera) are what destroys clutches. In reality, you are shifting much more agressively than the stock system would allow with an aftermarket shifter. Therefore because the vehicle is capable of operating in a manner it was not originally designed to do (because of your shifter), it really is related. Operating a vehicle abnormally usually results in abnormal effects but I don't think you are going to heat specifically because of the shifter. Again, regardless of what caused it - it likely wasn't anything other than the way it was driven. Anyone other than you or your wife had time behind the wheel? Is your wife agood manual driver?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Not really. Your clutch shouldn't be covered regardless of what shifter you have installed. Driving habits andbroken components and physical contamination (oil, water, et cetera) are what destroys clutches. In reality, you are shifting much more agressively than the stock system would allow with an aftermarket shifter. Therefore because the vehicle is capable of operating in a manner it was not originally designed to do (because of your shifter), it really is related. Operating a vehicle abnormally usually results in abnormal effects but I don't think you are going to heat specifically because of the shifter. Again, regardless of what caused it - it likely wasn't anything other than the way it was driven. Anyone other than you or your wife had time behind the wheel? Is your wife agood manual driver?
my wife doesn't know how to drive manual and she has never driven my car! just me and i have been driving manual cars since 1997 and i learnt how to drive auto last year! i know, no matter what caused it, clutch is not covered, but but i just would like to know is there any chance an aftermarket shifter would effect clutch.. it does not make sense to me but since i am no pro, it is allways good to ask!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:45 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad

Thanks guys.. looks like it is all up to dealer! well, i know clutch is not covered by warranty and my clutch is slipping. (stock car with 16k miles on and i am not racing everyday and matue enough to know how to drive a car normally). My wife is working for ford motor co. at dealer development and she has some dealerships to go sometimes and do bussiness.. she talked to dealer owner and he asked me to come by and drop the car and he can prive me a loan car. i am hoping they would cover but i really doubt it.. another question, pro 5.0 shifter has NOTHING to do with clutch right?

thanks again.
Not really. Your clutch shouldn't be covered regardless of what shifter you have installed. Driving habits and broken components and physical contamination (oil, water, et cetera) are what destroys clutches. In reality, you are shifting much more agressively than the stock system would allow with an aftermarket shifter. Therefore because the vehicle is capable of operating in a manner it was not originally designed to do (because of your shifter), it really is related. Operating a vehicle abnormally usually results in abnormal effects but I don't think you are going to heat specifically because of the shifter. Again, regardless of what caused it - it likely wasn't anything other than the way it was driven. Anyone other than you or your wife had time behind the wheel? Is your wife a good manual driver?
I actually had a clutch soiled by a blown rear main seal. The seal, and the clutch, were replaced under warranty.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

^ that is the exception. BTW doodad, I hope I didn't sound like a jerk. I really did not mean to be sarcastic or mean in any way
Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

It is illegal for a Dealership to void your warranty simply because you have modifications to your vehicle. It is the Dealerships responsibility to prove that any modification was the reason for a failure. With that said, some Dealerships are more performance oriented and willing to work with customers. It would be my suggestion to consult with your local Dealership regarding their warranty specifics. Also if you read the fine print on any auto warranty, "Drag Racing" will void your warranty. (of course they have to catch you racing and prove it :-) hehehe)

Screw the warranty, to restrictive, I gave up on my warranty at around 18K miles
I was black balled in fords computerwith Gears, Tune, CAI.. they told me that Rear end gears throw off the engine calibration ??? Dorks

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/A5A45D9D13924BE3950E5384314A1A96.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

It is illegal for a Dealership to void your warranty simply because you have modifications to your vehicle. It is the Dealerships responsibility to prove that any modification was the reason for a failure. With that said, some Dealerships are more performance oriented and willing to work with customers. It would be my suggestion to consult with your local Dealership regarding their warranty specifics. Also if you read the fine print on any auto warranty, "Drag Racing" will void your warranty. (of course they have to catch you racing and prove it :-) hehehe)

Screw the warranty, to restrictive, I gave up on my warranty at around 18K miles
I was black balled in fords computerwith Gears, Tune, CAI.. they told me that Rear end gears throw off the engine calibration ??? Dorks

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/A5A45D9D13924BE3950E5384314A1A96.jpg[/IMG]
Blanket statement that is more incorrect than correct. AGAIN, the modification must be directly attributable to the failure. Aftermarket electronic devices can interfere with the CMP signals. The only stock systems that are capable of this are : the coil on plugs, the alternator and the spark plugs. According to the technician that worked on your vehicle, he had already ruled them out as possible causes. Whether or not he stress tested all the coils is a different story. Are the CMP codes still setting? You may have a VCT issue. Our last recommendation was not to remove aftermarket components, rather to swap the VCT solenoids bank to bank.
The rear end does, in fact mess with the PCM in regards to shift strategy. The IATand MAF code are the reason it hesitates.Your CAI is the source of your MAF code in all likelihood.You can't mod a new car as easliy as an older car. The PCM just monitors too much stuff and there are more consequences for said actions. I work at the hotline that dealer called. A friend of mine took the call. I will be glad to discuss this matter with you if you are interested. Besides, I am curious to see how this all worked out.......
Old 01-26-2007, 07:21 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

^ that is the exception. BTW doodad, I hope I didn't sound like a jerk. I really did not mean to be sarcastic or mean in any way
no, not at all!! actually, thanks for your help
Old 01-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

It depends on the dealership, I already talked to my dealership(Hawk Ford, OakLawn IL) and they said that the only way they would void the warranty is if it directly had something to do with the problem. The service manager also told me that if I think any given problem was caused by an aftermarket part, just take it off before I bring it in. They are very understanding about mustang owners addiction to modding their rides.