Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHE or BMR

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CHE or BMR

lethal performance all he way.. I have the entire bmr setup front to back (minus the sway bars, lca instant center mounts and springs) all from lethal
Old 01-26-2007, 06:54 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

do the torque limiters attach to the k-member? reason is if you want torque limiters do you have to get the che k-member or can you use the torque limiters with the stock or bmr k-member? thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: likemike99

do the torque limiters attach to the k-member? reason is if you want torque limiters do you have to get the che k-member or can you use the torque limiters with the stock or bmr k-member? thanks
x2. I would like to know if I can utilize the CHE torque limiters with my BMR kmember (great mod btw, and includes built-in motor mounts).
Old 01-26-2007, 07:39 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

CHE's "torque limiter" setup is just a K-member brace which has extra brackets on it.

You can indeed use the CHE brace with a BMR K-member. The CHEsetup is a bar thatfits across the open end of the "K" joining those two parts together. The brackets that are on it hold the actual torque limiters that go up to the transmission.

However, I don't know why you would want to do that. If you have the BMR K-member I would assume that you are running it with either BMR's built-in motor mounts or an aftermarket set of mounts like the Bullets. If so, the CHE brace won't really do anything for you. The motor mounts will already keep your driveline movement under control.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

+1 for che
Old 01-26-2007, 08:31 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

so new motor mounts provide the same stiffness as the torquelimiters? I can't imagine they are that stiff.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

The BMR UCA mount is great, but I wouldn't buy one for a typical daily driver.

I'd get one if you had a high HP setup (FI or nitrous),if you drag raced a lot, or if you could afford it and you simply wanted to get the best suspension possible.

On a common street caron a budget, I wouldn't get one. You have to draw the line somewhere.
Car is not a daily driver but more a fair weather car for us. Spending the money on it is not an issue if it makes an improvement. Thanks for the info. I just figure if your going to do it then get all that is needed and do it right. I figure with it being lowred and all I might as well upgrade the stock parts to make it all work better together.

Richard
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Car is not a daily driver but more a fair weather car for us. Spending the money on it is not an issue if it makes an improvement. Thanks for the info. I just figure if your going to do it then get all that is needed and do it right. I figure with it being lowred and all I might as well upgrade the stock parts to make it all work better together.
That's mytake on this too....but on the forums it can get hard to understand other people's points of view. Some people balk when I tell them that they need an alignment to fix their camber after lowering the car. To them, the $70 or whatever it costs is too much money. Other people will happily spend an extra$1000 on top of the common mods just doimprove things and lay down a solid foundation forfuture work.

so new motor mounts provide the same stiffness as the torquelimiters? I can't imagine they are that stiff.
The new motormountsare quite stiff. That's the point--to stop the motor/transmission from moving around. They can be a lot stiffer than the CHE mounts can. Keep in mind that the CHE device is doing all of this "stiffening" by side-loading TWO fairly small bolts that go into the engine/transmission. They are not designed for any kind of loading like this, and the amount of "stiffening" you can do here is quite limited by the size of the hardware. On the other hand, the motor mounts are much larger, have much bigger bolts, and the brackets and so forth involved are designed to take heavy loads. It makes a lot more sense to firm things up here....and there's no installation worries or hassles with adjustments, clunking, breaking bolts, and so on.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:44 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

The BMR UCA mount is great, but I wouldn't buy one for a typical daily driver.

I'd get one if you had a high HP setup (FI or nitrous),if you drag raced a lot, or if you could afford it and you simply wanted to get the best suspension possible.

On a common street caron a budget, I wouldn't get one. You have to draw the line somewhere.
I went with CrazyAl's suggestion on all BMR parts for my rear, with all poly bushings, non-adjustable.................I am not lowering my ride and poly on both ends as they were less spendy.........................all the parts really made a difference, small amount of road noise, but nota worry, and seeing BMR's work, really top notch parts................not familiar with any CHE parts, but by photo's, the BMR part are superior.....................thanks CrazyAl, I am really happy with your suggestions, awaiting LCA re-location brackets, but otherwise BMR is the parts I would suggest, just seeing the work and quality.......BMR staff really excellent........ask for Tiffany....

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:31 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!
BMR makes some great pieces and I wouldn't hesitate to use them even though I'm not convinced that their Poly/rod end LCAs are completely quiet.
A quick comment about suspension parts and noise:

If you hear a "clunking", "banging" or "rattling" sound then something is either broken or installed wrong. NO suspension parts, even the full-on race parts with nothing other than rod-ends will do this when properly installed. These kind of sounds mean that something is dreadfully amiss--either a part has failed or there is a loose bolt or some other installation error.

What you WILL hear from suspension parts is an increase in road noise. Road noise isn't clunking or banging. Road noise is a constant, steady, "static" or "hiss" type of sound. You know the sound that any car makes when you drive over gravel on the road? THAT is the kind of sound that stiffer suspension parts will make. It shouldn't be as loud as driving over a gravel road, but that is a good example of the type of sound involved.

In this case, there is a DIRECT correlaction between the firmness of the suspension and the degree of sound that is made. The firmer (better) the suspension parts are, the louder they are. This is becuse stiffness of the suspension parts is what allows road noise to be transmitted. The firmer the parts are, the more noise is conducted into the body of the car. Parts like LCAs do not make road noise. They do, however, allow it to be transmitted from the rear axle into the body of the car.

If Car A is quieter than Car B, and there are no failed parts or improper installs on either car, then Car B will have a stiffer suspension.

I hesitate to use the word "Better" suspension becasue this depends on what your goals are. On a daily driver, a stiffer suspension isn't always "better" because it may be too loud for comfort. However, firmer (louder) parts are better from a performance point of view.

That being said, BMR--like many other brands--make different grades of parts for different applications.

The poly-poly control armsare a little stiffer than stock, and consequently they are only a little louder than stock. Most people wouldn't even notice the increased road noise.

The poly-heim combo parts are stiffer still, and they are also a little louder. I recommend these becasue most people won't find the extra noise objectionable--and at the same time they are a lot stiffer than OEM, and the heim joints offer much better pivoting than poly bushings. These parts are great because while they are only slightly louder than the above type, they offer much better performance.

The double-heim type (rod ends on both ends) are of course the stiffest possible, they have the best pivoting, but they are also very loud becasue there is no damping material at all in them. These would be used whenver the extra noise is not a problem.
Hey Al,

Nice right up.

I have the poly to poly adj. CHE LCA's and relocation brackets.

The CHE LCA on the drivers side, when coming to a stop makes a "knock" sound, like if you took your knuckle and knocked on a table.

I've had it checked many times and the bolts tightened again and again. Finally my speed shop guy put some lock-tite on the bolts (on the LCA) worked alright for about a day. The knock came back.
I finally gave up and ordered Steedas poly to poly non adj LCA's they are due in next week.
We have checked everything under the car for anything that might/could come loose.
I hear about guys not having any problems with the CHE's so for the last couple of months I have been looking elsewhere under the car (drivers side) for loose stuff.
Its a real aggravating sound. I hope the non adj steeda's work.

Thanks man.

Quick Reply: CHE or BMR