Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I'm going to do it: No Muffs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: Ok, I'm going to do it: No Muffs.

ORIGINAL: etgtguy

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Your pipes are going to bang around like crazy. Just buy some loud mouths or other straight pipe design.
Really? Can I fashion a different hanger to get them to stay still?

Lol, removing the muffler is not illegal, only if you remove the Cats.
It may not be illegal from an emisions stand point, but most local authorities havea noise ordinance.
But it sounds freakin sweet!

There is a Mach 1, an 02 GT(tons of mods), an 06 GT, an SRT-4(They come like this) running around with no muffs, and none of them have had any problems...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:19 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

no mufflers = illegal

taking off mufflers = gunna sound like ***
Old 01-26-2007, 06:32 PM
RdRang95

No Mufflers is only Illegal if it's too loud, which in this case is most likely. But then you gotta get caught. I had an 04 Hemi Ram with no muffs beforeI bought my stang and was never bothered by the cops. And that was angry loud, it was dumped after the y-pipe so it was real loud in the cab too. I have the SLP loudmouths now and aren't they pretty much the same thing as running no muffs except it fininshes the exhaust to the back. Plus all you gotta do is let off the gas if your goin by a cop and it doesn't really make any noise anyway.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
jonpo
2nd Gear Member

OK, I've done it before and it sounds awesome. The drone is pretty bad though. It's not THAT loud though. I passed bunches of cops without problem. I got tons of compliments all the time. Also the end of the pipe bangs on the axle pretty bad which is why I put the muffers back on. I guess you could rig up some kind of makeshift hanger.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

running no muffs isnt really illegal that much in a tech standpiont. its exactly what someone said above, all cities have noise ordinances, and how much a police dept inforces it, is up to them.

here in NJ i have a hard time seeing anyone passing inspection without mufflers, NJ inspection is strict.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:01 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Any state that I have ever lived in requires that exhaust pipes extend to the rear or sides of the car. And, in Virginia where I currently live, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle without a muffler, though the term is not defined in the statute.

I have not been hassled with my stingers, though I have not passed a cop at WOT as far as I know.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

Any state that I have ever lived in requires that exhaust pipes extend to the rear or sides of the car. And, in Virginia where I currently live, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle without a muffler, though the term is not defined in the statute.

I have not been hassled with my stingers, though I have not passed a cop at WOT as far as I know.
Then why do SRT-4's come mufflerless then?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

This is why i've never had any kids. They ask WHY? way to much.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't do it for the reason that the pipes are going to hand very close to the gas tank and it's going to heat stuff up under there, after long time use you'll end up staining the underside of the car, and you'll probably smell the exhaust after a nice ride. goto an exhaust shop and have them make you some straight pipe with some tips (Fake SLP LM's) Shouldn't cost more then 100 150 to get done right and sound killer.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2007, 07:40 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Also there's the whole carbon monoxide poisoning thing with the exhaust just billowing out right under where everyone's sitting, and the exhaust (when you can see it on cold days or whatever) won't look controlled and directional, but it'll just be coming out wherever the hell depending on the wind -- it'll look like you have some kind of severe exhaust leak under your car.

If you're gonna keep it with no mufflers, definitely get pipes to control the exhaust flow to the back of the car, but you'll still have to deal with the noise issue and the cops.

Quick Reply: Ok, I'm going to do it: No Muffs.