Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tinted their windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:27 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone tinted their windshield?

You can see just fine at night out a tinted windshield. During the day it looks like night outside though.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:44 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

It cost me a little over $200 ***** just for the windshield and installation[:@]
Old 02-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I was under the impression that it was a federal law that you cannot have ANYTHING on the front windshield below a certain line on the windshield itself.

If you look at the windshield from the inside, you can see a little line mark, sometimes with an arrow next to it, sometimes without; this line specifies the lowest you can affix any sort of tint, sticker, display, etc. This is done for safety, from my understanding.

I personally wouldn't ever tint the windshield. That's just asking for a cop to stop you. Most cops here in CA will nail you for the side window tint, but having the windshield tinted just waves a bright red flag for them to stop you to see what you're doing.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You realize that makes absolutely no sense.. right.

Fact. Tinting the windshield reduces visibility. It goes both ways.. can't see in.. same for seeing out. Difference is it's usually lighter outside the car than inside.. so driving during the day is no different than driving with sunglasses.
Driving at night.. you reduce visibility in areas not bathed by light.

Tint your windshield and drive in the rain at night.. or down a country road.. you are asking for trouble.

If you drive primarily during the day.. .no big deal... but there is a reason it is illegal.

But yea... it looks cool.

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

You can see just fine at night out a tinted windshield. During the day it looks like night outside though.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:27 AM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

I think that many people have a misconception about this.

If you get afront tint, it is not like the 5% that is on the doors... the tint is not dark

it willnotallow UV rays into the car. There is no darkness, no difference from theinside. Front tint, done right is legal with a Rx for sun sensitive skin and other sun problems. What the tint does is reflect and it puts out a glazey glare in the sun and darkness at night. Up close, with 20 or 30 on the door, well it is damn good, can see in. you can go like 40 on the doors or wrap at 34% and do the front with a visor and clear no UV in and it will look great... opinions are like ....

Yes, the tint is dangerous to law. So are three deadbolts on a house door... whatever, I rolled through customs 4x now, 3 no problem, 1 the officer said "kinda hard to see you through that glare there... where you headed" n/p there.

Personally, I think a wrap around of 5% and a 6+" 5% visor is more dangerous than front tint for driving and law enforcement.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:13 AM
bbell95

on my stangs they both have 20 % all around and a stripe on the front . My truck has 20% over the factory rear tint that dodge put in the glass and i have 20 % on the 2 front rollups . I had the whole front windshield done about a yr ago in 35%and have never had a problem with seeing on a dark rd or rainy night . i think it actually helps out with glare from the other lights that blind you anyway . If the wife would let me would do the other cars as well . yes it is illegal to do but i have never had a tint ticket , and i live in a TN and we have 35% tint laws .