Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:20 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Tank Issue

ORIGINAL: billyjo

Hello everyone, i found this website that had this fix. I hope it helps. I have seen and been told that this works. So good luck. Perhaps this may help you at the dealer..
http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm
Billyjo... funny, Billie Jo is the name of one of the service writers at the shop.

Anyways, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to actually remove the fuel tank myself. Thanks for the link, though.

I did have my tank replaced once, though. But I guess they have changed the TSB and given up because they must have spent the last 5.8 billion dollars replacing them.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

i probably was one of the last few to get replacement gas tanks... if they have alot of problems, wouldnt they create a recall? i guess in Ford's situation, they cant afford to fix it.... they rather create another SUV that we DONT need! anyways, back to subject... I know this new tank is not going to solve the issue, but having a new tank is good because its getting rid of previous debris on the bottom of the tank that have collected... so.. +1 longer engine life.... sucks that we have to put up with this.. but I think.. I love my mustang enough,that i'll live.....
Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

My 07 had this problem the first time I filled it up. So this link to the fix of blowing out a dirty filter probably will not work for me. Sounds like this problem is not a tank issue but a filler tube-venting issue. Turning the nozzle 90 to 180 degrees helps a lot. However some station's nozzles just pump the fuel faster than the tank can take it. So I get gas where I know that it will work properly. It's OK I can deal with it, I'm not a victim!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 AM
06 gt
1st Gear Member

Mine did it the first time I tried to fill up. Did it again a few weeks ago. Only twice. Rotating nozzle did not help me in either case. My only concern, at this point is if I have to travel and can not use my regular station/pump.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:22 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

its the actual gas pump nozzle that is causing this problem
i live in canada, drive to the US quite a bit

i ALWAYS have problems filling in the US. i NEVER have a problem filling in Canada.

now one may say its all high way driving to the US, and a build up of vapor / pressure is the cause of the non-filling issue. BUT, when i drive like 200+ km from US back into the Canada it always fills up no problem. its just the drive from Canada to the US and the fill up down there i run into problems.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 AM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

doode,

I don't see how it could be the pump. If that were the case, the Mustangs wouldn't be the only car sitting around at the pump for an hour just to pump twelve gallons.

I didn't do any highway driving before my last fill-up. I took it from the driveway straight to the gas station. This station typically gives me no problems, too. Then again, I don't fill up that often. I think what really got me irritated was sitting there in the freezing cold just to get a half a tank in there in a half an hour.

At least with the 1 hour : 1 tank ratio, it's really easy to tell someone how long it takes to fill up your car... in case they ask you know.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmk3

My 06 has never shut off when filling but I live in Jersey & We are not allowed to pump our own gas, maybe the pros are better at it. LOL
Ha ha!! Me too!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 AM
MalibuJerry350
1st Gear Member

Hmmm. I have never experienced the problem with my '06 GT. I live in NJ also, but almost ALWAYS "finish" the pumping procedure myself after the pump stops pumpimg. I usually get gas at Hess or Amoco/BP or Shell,and always wind up with a full tank. Is it possible that the pumps in other states pump at a higher rate? When I do the next fill-up, I will time how long it takes for the pump to fill the tank. Maybe we can then "compare notes."
Old 02-03-2007, 12:09 PM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

I had this problem once, I switched to different pump, then it was fine. I thought that pump went out of gas.

Oh well...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I had my tank replaced almost a year ago, and still have the issue. Depends upon the filling nozzle. At stations that have the recovery vacuum boots on the nozzles, I automatically rotate the nozzle 180 degrees, fills no problem. If the particular station does not have the rubber boot on the nozzle, it will fill normally, no problem, any delivery....

Mike

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Issue