Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:11 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Tank Issue

ORIGINAL: billyjo

Hello everyone, i found this website that had this fix. I hope it helps. I have seen and been told that this works. So good luck. Perhaps this may help you at the dealer..
http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm
This fix might be for a problem that developes over time (dirt buildup) but when I first got my 07 GT it was difficult to fill. The first time I filled up I gave the station owner hell for having a bad pump that wouldn't let me fill up and spewed gas all over the side of my pristine car. I tried another pump and finished filling very slowly. It happened one more time at a different station but I haven't had it happen again in over 4000 miles.
[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 02-08-2007, 04:15 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

I just got a call from Ford. Apparently they have now done their research and have determined that they are not going to make any attempts to fix my vehicle.

They said that if they put another fuel tank on the car that there is no guarantee that I won't still have the problem and for that reason, they are not going to do it.

She suggested that I either select a different gas station, or pump the fuel slower.

By the way, pumping the fuel slower DOES prevent it from clicking the pump off... however, it still doesn't allow the fuel to flow into the tank. Apparently, if I pump it slowly the fuel reverses directions and pumps out onto the side of the car and down into the parking lot.

However, both the dealership and the Ford representative said that this is a normal characteristic for this vehicle and is not indicative of any problem with the car.

For now, that's where I am.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

The slow fill is normal ( search for a similar thread were I explained this in detail. I can do so again but I prefer to either start a new thread or PM people because, honestly, I can only explain this so much before I get frustrated!
The expulsion is not normal, there may be something you can do about that........And that will DEFINATELY have to be done via PM........

There are many things that add up to cause this. It is not just the car, the tank, the filler neck or the station you fill at.
BTW, Ford lost money for a lot of reasons and the UAW is the biggest one IMHO. The UAW is the end of America's ability to provide the best vehicles at the best price. Ford pays a health care claim every minute of every day - literally! Look at what kind of benefits (monetary and fringe) the asian workers get and then compare it to the US. There are hundreds of thousands of people getting paid $30 an hour to tighten a bolt. Take this $ off the top and put it back into capital and see what can be done. We'd own it again and forever, again in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Shaner,

I have no idea what you are trying to say. But I don't see how it has anything to do with my fuel tank issue.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I am saying that I can answer any question you may have about your tank.I work at the hotline your dealer called. He likely talked to me or my associates. I also have some information regarding an adjustment to the filler neck that may prevent the kick-back or expulsion of liquid fuel. There is NO way to prevent the early shut off of the pump nozzle in every case. You can make it happen less often, but there is no way to prevent it all together.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

What I find very humorous is this...

Ford has been making cars for a hundred years. Why all of a sudden is there one car, the Mustang, that they are unable to get the fuel tank right on? Every other car in existance can fill its fuel tank without a problem. Ford, on the other hand, is saying "on this one particular car, we can't make it work."??? why???
Old 02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

In order for them to put the fuel tank in front of the rear axle (for safety and weight distribution), the tank had to be made in a manner that would allow the driveshaft to sort of "pass through" it. Basically, its a saddle tank and not just a big cube. So, when you fill up one side of the tank, the fuel must overflow to the other side. You can imagine the balance act involved with allowing x amount of fuel to enter the filler neck, allowing it to drain into the tank and then flow over to the passenger side when the driver's side fills up without triggering the little pressure sensor in the tip of the fuel nozzle. Does it suck? ABSOLUTELY. Will anything be done about it? Likely not. How did it get into production?

If Ford makes 20 test mustangs and none of them slow fill with the tanks used during testing - it gets and okay for production and never gets noticed until ten thousand owners bought their mustangs.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

And that is my problem... why? How?

It's interesting hearing you explain why the problem exists. Definitely nice to know. However, that doesn't change the fact that it does exist and that it is a problem. Is it my problem? No. Yes, the problem is with my car, but the responsibility to resolve the issue lies with Ford, not me.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Agreed. Unfortunately, if you are unwilling to accept it as a normal characteristic - you have only one option. Sell the stang. Again, I can give you tips on adjustments that may or may not help but Ford has (indirectly) said that there is no way to keep this from happening short of redesigning the entire vehicle. I was told in 2005 that the fix will be in 2008 or 9 when the stang gets a facelift.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

the same crap happened to me, they refused to fix my tank.....i demanded they fix it and they replaced it.....i havent had a problem since but they said it doesnt 100% guarantee it. they even told me the 07s were build like that too

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Issue