Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap! 3M tape came off my roush louvers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Crap! 3M tape came off my roush louvers!

I have the CDC louvers for about 9 months and there is no hint of a problem so far. I prepped with a wash with Dawn. Then several wipes with alchohol, allowing the alchohol to evaporate completely. I did apply in warm weather. I also pressed and held the louvers in place for several minutes rather than just a minute or so in the instructions. But I do not tug on it to test it either. I inspect the edges for any clue of seperation. I've seen 3M tape stick for years and years. My guess is either an error in prepping or maybe defective tape. Maybe also a slight bow in the louvers that pulls the tape away from the body.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:38 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Mounted my Roush side window louvers yesterday. Followed the templates and it was No Problem.
Yes, even I am concerned on Longevity of the 3M tape, but I will just keep an eye on them and see what happens.

Good post <<<- Thanks for the warning to look out for this possible problem.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TASSY5

Mounted my Roush side window louvers yesterday. Followed the templates and it was No Problem.
Yes, even I am concerned on Longevity of the 3M tape, but I will just keep an eye on them and see what happens.

Good post <<<- Thanks for the warning to look out for this possible problem.
The louvers started to come off 2 months after I first put them on. I just applied some new tape, so I will see how it holds up. I may have to try and order an entire new mounting bracket set from Roush though.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

OK so this comes up quite offten and I always wonder,

1) If the person making the complaint did the install or a professional shop?

2) What the qualifications are of the person who did the install.

3) Did the installer bother to take the time to look at what 3M states on how the install should be done?

Here it is for those who don't know. You 1 Clean the surface as stated above in other posts. Thats right make sure it is noce and clean and use an oil free alcohol cleaner after that. Then who thinks its time to just slap on the product, well sorry according to 3M's recomendation you are wrong. You then apply an adhesive promoter, which 3M has several types depending on the surface of the part. I have said this many times, and it seems that everyone still fears 3M adhesive tape, well there is one other solution, don't mount the part.

I have the full Cervini's C series kit, which I had professionally installed by a man who has built many show cars and several magazine cars so I was not concerned when I had it done. Problem is it seems to me that most people either do the job themselves without researching and seeing what 3M states you should do, or they take it to the lowest bidder body shop.

I have over 10K mi on my car with the kit, it has been driven in rain and shine to speeds of up to 135mph for short sprints and prolonged runs at 90mph. They are all still in place and show no signs of falling off. In fact, mine is not the only one i know for having done this.

Fact is 3M is a leader in the industry for a reason, and when it is done right there is no problem.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

BTW when I took the louvers off, I noticed the paint had some "pitting" down to the primer where the 3M tape was.[:@]
Old 02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

OK so this comes up quite offten and I always wonder,

1) If the person making the complaint did the install or a professional shop?

2) What the qualifications are of the person who did the install.

3) Did the installer bother to take the time to look at what 3M states on how the install should be done?

Here it is for those who don't know. You 1 Clean the surface as stated above in other posts. Thats right make sure it is noce and clean and use an oil free alcohol cleaner after that. Then who thinks its time to just slap on the product, well sorry according to 3M's recomendation you are wrong. You then apply an adhesive promoter, which 3M has several types depending on the surface of the part. I have said this many times, and it seems that everyone still fears 3M adhesive tape, well there is one other solution, don't mount the part.

I have the full Cervini's C series kit, which I had professionally installed by a man who has built many show cars and several magazine cars so I was not concerned when I had it done. Problem is it seems to me that most people either do the job themselves without researching and seeing what 3M states you should do, or they take it to the lowest bidder body shop.

I have over 10K mi on my car with the kit, it has been driven in rain and shine to speeds of up to 135mph for short sprints and prolonged runs at 90mph. They are all still in place and show no signs of falling off. In fact, mine is not the only one i know for having done this.

Fact is 3M is a leader in the industry for a reason, and when it is done right there is no problem.
PERFECT. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Just the California Special side scoops that come on the 07 CS

ORIGINAL: Steven6095

Ford CS ones???????? Pics
These the ford racing ones that are listed online in that catalog but without pics?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I would ecco what Al & matt have stated. I am a believer in 3M products, I have used them for years on other cars/body applications along with my current 06 Gt without 1 issue or problem. My Car has been to 135mph+ on multiple sprints and is constantly driven 80mph on the highway. My Roush louvers are as solid as day one. Matt along with others have seen my car in person as well as driven with me so they know I do not drive slow by any means.

Mine were installed on a day when the temps were up near 80 which I think helps the "install process" over a cold day install but again; I think prep work and time are your friends when doing this type of work. Sometimes the excitement of a new item and desire to showcase it makes us cut corners or not properly follow directions. Not always but sometimes.