Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving on a 300-mile trip during break-in period.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:58 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Driving on a 300-mile trip during break-in period.

If everything goes well, I'll be picking up a GT from a dealer 300-mile away. On the owner's manual, it says "avoiding driving at the same speed for extended period, slow or fast".

If I vary the engine speed at bit, between 4thand 5th gear, will it be okay? Also, should I stop every 30 - 45 min? If so, what long should I stop before continue?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:37 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Driving on a 300-mile trip during break-in period.

I don't think you have to put too much thought into it. I went through the break -in 2 months ago, I just took it easy, and didn't slam on the gas at all, and went easy on the brakes. I don't think a certain procedure is critical. I would just drive normally, and not over rev it. You'll be fine!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I picked up my car 500 miles away. Drove her home on the German Autobahn's and hit upward of 130mph during the trip. Yes, it was a blast!!! I did however vary the RPMs during the trip as per the manual. Granted they varied in the higher RPM range, but they did vary.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:08 PM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

I picked up my car 500 miles away. Drove her home on the German Autobahn's and hit upward of 130mph during the trip. Yes, it was a blast!!! I did however vary the RPMs during the trip as per the manual. Granted they varied in the higher RPM range, but they did vary.
Wow, they sell Mustangs in Germany? I didn't know that. I thought Mustangs are only sold in North America.

Or did you import it yourself? [8D]
Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewMustang

ORIGINAL: scramblr

Wow, they sell Mustangs in Germany? I didn't know that. I thought Mustangs are only sold in North America.

Or did you import it yourself? [8D]
I'm in the Air Force, so I purchased through Military Car Sales, which ships just about anywhere in the world. However, Mustangs are being sold all throughout Europe. As a matter of fact, there's a performance shop a couple of hours from me that's selling Mustangs and have installed a couple of Vortech's. Standard GT in Germany is running about $40k!!!! yikes...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewMustang

If everything goes well, I'll be picking up a GT from a dealer 300-mile away. On the owner's manual, it says "avoiding driving at the same speed for extended period, slow or fast".

If I vary the engine speed at bit, between 4thand 5th gear, will it be okay? Also, should I stop every 30 - 45 min? If so, what long should I stop before continue?

Thanks.
You should not have a problem breaking in your new Stang. Just like the rest above said, vary your RPMs and stop at least every two hours, not for the Stang, but for you....don't get driver's fatigue... Plus you are lucky, yo get to break in your own car, not some crazy dude who does not care.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Ya know how they break in race motors don't ya? Pedal to floor! Believe it or not, your rings seat in the first couple of seconds that the motor runs. If they didn't you'd be burning tons of oil right away. In the old days before technology actually got better, breaking in an engine was needed cause the rings did'nt seat right away. Nowdays, The break in period is really not needed. I don't know why the manufacturers still put that stuff in the manuals. It's more hype than anything else. Think about this, Ask any one who builds race motors, ask the teams that tear down thier motors between races. They don't have time to break-in motors in between races. They put in new rings, new bearings, sometimes pistons and all kinds of other parts each time they tear down and re-assemble. Then they start the motor, make some adjustments and hit the track! You can ask these guys, I have, and most of them say break the motor in the same way that you plan to drive it. If your a granny, break it in like a granny. If your a racer, by all means break it in hard.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

this is an excellent article I found about breaking in a modern car.

the bottom line: don't floor it, don't drive at one speed for too long, don't idle for too long. do this for a few hundred kilometers and you should be ok

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/030108.htm
Old 02-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

It is not a good idea to do a road trip until several hundred miles have passed. However, it won't be the end of the world. Don't get into it too much, and vary between 50 and 100 mph in 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

Ya know how they break in race motors don't ya? Pedal to floor! Believe it or not, your rings seat in the first couple of seconds that the motor runs. If they didn't you'd be burning tons of oil right away. In the old days before technology actually got better, breaking in an engine was needed cause the rings did'nt seat right away. Nowdays, The break in period is really not needed. I don't know why the manufacturers still put that stuff in the manuals. It's more hype than anything else. Think about this, Ask any one who builds race motors, ask the teams that tear down thier motors between races. They don't have time to break-in motors in between races. They put in new rings, new bearings, sometimes pistons and all kinds of other parts each time they tear down and re-assemble. Then they start the motor, make some adjustments and hit the track! You can ask these guys, I have, and most of them say break the motor in the same way that you plan to drive it. If your a granny, break it in like a granny. If your a racer, by all means break it in hard.
This is a poor analogy. Race motors are designed to last very few miles. Presumably anyone buying a new car would like the engine torun righta bit longer.

Quick Reply: Driving on a 300-mile trip during break-in period.