Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 or keep the GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:10 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Z06 or keep the GT?

2001 was the first run of the Z06.

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

ORIGINAL: petepete

like the new z06s. Not the old ones. Seen some at fontana running high 12s stock in 2002 z06s. Dont know if thats normal or just bad driving. If its normal id go with a gt
I have seen near stock C6 Z06s run in the high 10s low 11s consistently.

As far as which to chose, if you are going to a C5 style just get a FRC coupe. There is no real point to doing the Z06 if you are going to mod it a bit. I had a C5 and have several friends with them, there is no REAL benefit of the C5 Z06 over the C5 Coupes. Consider you will save a considerable amount of money going this route.

If you want a 500hp vette in C5 form get the Coupe (FRC or Targa is up to you) which you can get on average about $10,000 less than the Z06 cars. Then upgrade the brakes with a front 14" 6 Piston kit and at the very least larger rotors on the rear which is about $3000, then suspension which if you go all out you will spend about $3000 if youinstall it yourself. So at this point you are still an average $4000 less than a Z06 with better brakes, and a better suspension. So you have $4000 + whatever you were gonna put into the Z06. That said there are many options at this point and you can easily push the car well beyond 500hp, exp. the STS twin turbo kit has put down over 650rwhp on a C5 Coupe with no internal engine mods only fuel and tuning.

Other option on the vette that also put out great results are Supechargers, rember though that a roos blower will require an aftermarket hood on that car, but you can do a very nice centrifical setup. Also there are several other options on turbo kits.

If you are concerned with time and moeny this is your BEST option of those you listed.

-- BTW for those not in the know about me, I have raced several years, I have owned 2 Corvettes (1 C5 Coupe) and I now own a 07 Mustang GT I am building. I have helped build 4 show winning cars and 2 race cars.

If you need links to Vette parts and reviews PM me and I can send you some.

ORIGINAL: pj1010

You will be hard pressed to find a solid 2002+ Zed06 for 30k. You could get great 2001 for that price, however.
This is a good point too, but remeber the C5 body started in 1997. so you could get an earlier model.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:17 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

I spent abouttwo to three monthslooking for a Z06 before I purchased the Mustang I currently possess. I strugled to find a car that was in the sort of condition I would have considered purchasing. I found a few 2001's within 200-300 miles. All were priced at 32k. Of course, it needs not be said that your priorites probably differ from mine. I wanted low mileage/like new condition. After all, if you are buying a car that is 5+ years old, you'd want it to be as close to new as possible since it is only going to get older. I eventually gave up as all the Vettes that appealed to me were slightly out of my price range.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

btw - this aint MySpace man; it's mostly dudes here lol. put up a pic of your car or something
Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

If you re read my post please and you will see I did not say the Z06 started in '97 I said the C5 BODY style did. The other thing to consider is local area, I bought both of my Vettes in Arizona where they were a bit cheaper then where I am now in Virginia.

The people I trust in buying used Vettes are CNV Corvettes and Cooper Corvettes.

like the new z06s. Not the old ones. Seen some at fontana running high 12s stock in 2002 z06s. Dont know if thats normal or just bad driving. If its normal id go with a gt

As far as which to chose, if you are going to a C5 style just get a FRC coupe. There is no real point to doing the Z06 if you are going to mod it a bit. I had a C5 and have several friends with them, there is no REAL benefit of the C5 Z06 over the C5 Coupes. Consider you will save a considerable amount of money going this route.

If you want a 500hp vette in C5 form get the Coupe (FRC or Targa is up to you) which you can get on average about $10,000 less than the Z06 cars. Then upgrade the brakes with a front 14" 6 Piston kit and at the very least larger rotors on the rear which is about $3000, then suspension which if you go all out you will spend about $3000 if youinstall it yourself. So at this point you are still an average $4000 less than a Z06 with better brakes, and a better suspension. So you have $4000 + whatever you were gonna put into the Z06. That said there are many options at this point and you can easily push the car well beyond 500hp, exp. the STS twin turbo kit has put down over 650rwhp on a C5 Coupe with no internal engine mods only fuel and tuning.

Other option on the vette that also put out great results are Supechargers, rember though that a roos blower will require an aftermarket hood on that car, but you can do a very nice centrifical setup. Also there are several other options on turbo kits.

If you are concerned with time and moeny this is your BEST option of those you listed.

-- BTW for those not in the know about me, I have raced several years, I have owned 2 Corvettes (1 C5 Coupe) and I now own a 07 Mustang GT I am building. I have helped build 4 show winning cars and 2 race cars.

You will be hard pressed to find a solid 2002+ Zed06 for 30k. You could get great 2001 for that price, however.
This is a good point too, but remeber the C5 body started in 1997. so you could get an earlier model.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:34 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

I was not disputing that. I was simply stating afact that some reading may not be privy to.

If you re read my post please and you will see I did not say the Z06 started in '97 I said the C5 BODY style did. The other thing to consider is local area, I bought both of my Vettes in Arizona where they were a bit cheaper then where I am now in Virginia.

The people I trust in buying used Vettes are CNV Corvettes and Cooper Corvettes.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:35 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman2424

Have you thought about an Ariel Atom? That thing is road legal and it will beat just about anything around a track, and you could still keep you GT.

Here is a link: http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/frames.htm

Go to Google video, YouTube, or Streetfire and find video's of Top Gear testing it. It's amazing.
Well I am looking for a daily driver/ Road race car. Call me crazy or whatever

Also, insurance for an atom for a 16 year old kid would be absurd, not to mention, if you get in a bump up, you wont be able to find parts for that beast.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:40 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JT_Moore05

ORIGINAL: mustangman2424

Have you thought about an Ariel Atom? That thing is road legal and it will beat just about anything around a track, and you could still keep you GT.

Here is a link: http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/frames.htm

Go to Google video, YouTube, or Streetfire and find video's of Top Gear testing it. It's amazing.
Well I am looking for a daily driver/ Road race car. Call me crazy or whatever

Also, insurance for an atom for a 16 year old kid would be absurd, not to mention, if you get in a bump up, you wont be able to find parts for that beast.
The AA would not be an option even if price were no object since many classes will not let it compete based on different factors. Consider some road racing classes will not allow any Porsches or the Lotus Elise and Exige to run in them.

Whichever class you do decide to run the Vette platform will be better for you, but before you begin to modify the car you need to determine exactly which class you wish to run in since mods are limited in many classes. Once you figure out where yoou want to run, the next step is to get the drivers book which will usually have all the rules and car limitation listed, sometimes they are in a seperate book but you get what I mean.

Then and only then can you begin to look at what mods you are going to do to the car.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

There is no such thing as a "daily driver/ Road race car".

Still have me confused...
You gonna do parking lot 'autocross kinda stuff'. If so just get a Mustang GT for street, and a couple year old latest generation Miata for developing your road course driving skills.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

There is no such thing as a "daily driver/ Road race car".

Still have me confused...
You gonna do parking lot 'autocross kinda stuff'. If so just get a Mustang GT for street, and a couple year old latest generation Miata for developing your road course driving skills.
Well right now since I am young, I am just getting seat time. I usually go to Carolina Motorsports Park, Roebling, Road Atlanta, stuff like that. Most of the stuff that I do is just practice, or test and tune, not full out races or anything.
Later on when I get more experience, I can start to do actual races.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

A few weeks ago, someone in Austin was selling their 01/02 (can't remember) Z06 for 33k. TT 900+ HP.

Quick Reply: Z06 or keep the GT?