Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 PM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default aftermarket mods

so since i'm fairly new to mustangs and am not entirely sure what i want to do w/ mine when i get it, i wanted to know some aftermarket mods i can do to add horsepower. i dont want to do anything big like a supercharger. lots of minimum stuff to hopefully get it around 315hp

since im not going to be getting a manuali think gears will be out of the question for me.

of course i know you have axleback exhausts (any 1 seem to give more power?)
alsox-pipes and shorty headers
cold air intakes (any one seem to give more power?)
the right wheel and tire combo will give you better grip
and i guess a high performance oil filter and royal purple in the diffs will help a little

any other stuff im missing? Anything at all, no matter how small the horsepower/torque/acceleration increase?

what about performance chips or engine tuners (hopefully they make some that allow you to stay on regular unleaded fuel, b/c my parents aren't gonna go for 93octane since they pay for most of the gas)

thanks for answering my questions, AMBmustangGT
Old 02-05-2007, 11:46 PM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: aftermarket mods

who says you can't get gears?

and are you looking for 315 flywheel hp or 315 rwhp?

go with a full exhaust.. headers, mid pipe(x/hpipe/prochamber) and a catback.

as for cai i recommend a JLT

i only use mobile 1 for oil but royal purple is def. a good brand.

and a tuner would be a plus an xcal is my choice
Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 PM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

oh i know i can get gears, but if its the same as my bronco was that's $1400 installed. and if i did gears i'd also add a limited slip which is about another $400

your probably gonna slap me for this. but im not really sure what the dff in rwhp and flywheel hp is.

if i had to take an educated guess. fwhp is basically what the manufacturer says the carhas (GT = 300)
and rwhp is what it actually does on the streeet (probably around 260-270hp)....am i even close?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 AM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

you are right about the fwhp vs the rwhp.
i won't slap you about the hp question but i might about the gear install... $1400..lol

wow
you get it done at the dealership or something?

it only ran me like 3 and some change for an install on my 4:10's

and you never mentioned what mustang you wanted to get..
if it's a GT you already have a t-lock in it stock.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 AM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

yeah its (gonna be) a GT.

haha well thats what a set of 4:56 gears cost me on a 96' bronco w/ install and master isntall kits.

well as of now im contemplating whether to get a body kit and some other cosmetic stuff and keep the engine stock (cept for maybe some axlebacks), or to keep cosmetics minimal (maybe a billet grille and window louvers) and make it sorta like a stealth car....yeah

Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

C&L or JLT cold air intake and a tune is the best bang you'll get. from what i hear on here the stock mufflers flow pretty well so theres not a big gain from axle back stuff but it sure does sound better

autos have the 3.31 gears and the manuals have 3.55's - has anyone gone from the 33's to 55's? im wondering how much you would feel the difference. i'll probably go with some 73's but who knows.

and rwhp is rear wheel horsepower, fwhp is flywheel horsepower measured right from the engine. turning the transmission, driveshaft, and rear end eat some power so not all of the engines grunt is getting to the ground.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

A CAI + Tune, LT headers, UDP's, will get you close to 300rwhp. While not adding HP a set of 3.73 gears and LCA's will get you down the road faster and give better traction at launch. You should be able to get a set of gears installed for $400-$500 easy. Most people here are not getting over 305-310 rwhp with just bolt ons, but rwhp and speed are not necessarily directly related.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

Gears is a must for mustangs. 3.73's or 4.10s will be best. a 3.31 to a 3.55 will feel no difference. CAI and Tune will be best.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

when you say $400 installed for gears, you mean everything...gears install and any seals or gaskets they have to replace + labor? or is that just for labor?

and as far as these tunes go, how do i go about getting one? take it to a shop? or do you buy a chip or programmer? and are there any that dont require you to go to 93 octane fuel?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

well i've still been thinking over the past couple of days and i know ford offeres the cai and axleback kit from the dealership. and i know you will still be able to keep the factory warranty w/ it

my questions about it are

1. how much does it cost
2. does it increaser performance as much as say a K&N cai and flowmaster axlebacks, or is there a pretty big difference in the performance between the two?

Quick Reply: aftermarket mods