Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning rock-salt etc. from undercarriage ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cleaning rock-salt etc. from undercarriage ?

I would not worry about the under until later on....like when temps warm up a bit....as soon as you can take it to the car wash (pressure wash). Just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Right now mycar is covered in a white, salty mess since we've had this deep freeze in the NE. I live in the city and only have a 1-car garage (so I have to usemy only caras my daily driver) but, I wanted a new mustang so bad I told myself F--- it, justget it used, enjoy it and don't be a P-ssy about it. I do get it washed alot. My co-workers are always commenting that my car is always the cleanest in the lot.

As far as the undercarriage goes, the car wash near my office has one of those windows that you can watch your car being washed. Well, in the "undercarriage section" there is this array of nozzles pointing up that should be sprayimg at like 100psi but, they are the equivilent of a bunch of baby boys lying ontheir backs and peeing into the air. I don't think it does much but, is makes me feel better getting it washed. I was under there the other day (after driving home from work in the wet, salty aftermath) and it appeared like I drove through a puddle of white paint at high speed. It broke my heart but, if you want to play, got to pay. Its all worth it when I'm stressed out driving home and some dork with aWRX wants to race (on dry pavement of course).
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cookiemonster

The advice from about.com sounds reasonable to me ... if I'm not mistaken, it's liquid water+salt+metal = rust ... ice doesn't nearly have the same effect as liquid water, and so washing the car will actually activate the rusting process ... at least that's what I understand.
The car is going to get wet and freeze many times over by mother nature and all the salt, sand and acid rain that comes with it. Rinsing off your car, washing it, removing the salt is a good thing. The advice to not apply water to your car when mother nature is slinging out sleet, freezing rain, wet snow all of which is often freezing rock hard after the fact (and after driving along salted roads in these conditions) ... is downright silly.

It's not the rust that's a problem, it's not a situation of bare steel getting wet and rusting. The salt and other elements on your car finish are quite corrosive... remove them from the car as soon as you are able.

Now there's no point in going out and washing when it's 0degrees F. ...cause the suds will freeze before you even get to rinse them off. .