Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use my current LCA's with new driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default Can I use my current LCA's with new driveshaft?

I am considering a one piece driveshaft but I will NOT be lowering the car. Do I still need adjustables or will my current Steedas do? Will the new pinion angle be that far off? What are the consequences? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Can I use my current LCA's with new driveshaft?

I just read yesterday where someone did this, and their pinion angle was right on. It was the Denny's Driveshaft thread onModularFords.com.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...num+driveshaft

Dave
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Sorry. I guess you can't mention other forums on here. It get's asterisked out.

Dave
Old 02-07-2007, 05:29 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I find it very hard to belive that someone changed out the driveshaft to a 1-pc and the pinion angle was still correct. The attached image is exaggerated to make it easy to read, but it shows how the pinion angle changes when you install a 1-pc driveshaft. A "wrong" pinion angle has various effects. The most basic is increased U-joint and pinion bearing wear. It can also cause vibration and "clunking" sounds if it is bad enough.

I would get a set of adjustable LCAs. Or if you prefer, keep your Steeda lowers and get an adjustable upper.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32957/241F96E10AD94AD59DC1D4EC8F8281AA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Thanks Crazyal, from your drawing it would seem that that the LCA's would have to be shortened to correct the new angle difference. I read that other thread, and the member said he wound up with a -2degree angle after the install. If I remember a 0 to -4 degree angle is OK for the street, no?

Also, if I installed a new ring and pinion at the same time, wouldn't the pinion gear, being new and wearing a new pattern in the ring gear, lessen the chance of noise/vibration? I ask this b/c I'm considering changing to 3.55s, due to the inherent noise issues most of us are having with our 3.73s. Noisedespite my multiple attemps to fix it including that Redline Heavy oil you recommended.

Thanks again in advance.

-Rob
Old 02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

0 to 4 degrees is a pretty large range.

The perfect setting depends on your driving style (in other words, a drag-strip car has different needs than a daily driver), and also on your suspension mods.

The idea is that during most of your driving, the pinion angle should be at a certain spot. With the OEM driveshaft, which has a CV joint, you want the pinion to end up exactly inline with the rearmost portion of the driveshaft. With a 1-pc aftermarket shaft which has Cardan joints instead of the CV, you want the two joints (tranny end and pinion end) to be paralell with each other.

The problem is that when you accelerate hard the whole rear axle housingrotates a little bit as the chassis flexes and the bushings in the controm arms squish. You want things set up so that during most of your driving the pinion angle is dead-on perfect.

An angle of about 2-2.5 degrees, in my opinion, is about right for a street car with common mods. If you stiffen the rear suspension by adding more aftermarket parts then the flex will be less, so you can make the angle less..say 1.5 degrees. But zero degrees and 4 degrees are both very extreme settings.

This thread describes the pinion angle stuff in more detail. I wrote one post regarding the OEM 2-pc shaft and then another for aftermarket 1-pc.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2570375/tm.htm#2571016

Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Why not email Denny's driveshaft and ask them? If your car isn't lowered it's possible that no pinion angle adjustment is necessary. While crazyAl's drawing is correct, it's also exaggerated as he says.

If Denny says it will be fine then i'd go with that. They've been doing driveshafts for 29 years or something.

By the way I ordered my driveshaft from Denny's a week ago today and still no shippy of my shafty[:@][:@]. So I'd make a decision soon if you want it sometime this year.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

moosestang, are your LCAs adjustable?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Keep your Steeda LCAand buy a adj. UCA either from BMR or CHE. That will resolve any pinion issue

Richard