Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a S/C? Which would you rec.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Default RE: Time for a S/C? Which would you rec.

I may be a little biased.....SALEEN.

Casey
Old 02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Seems like the non intercooled Whipple would be good, no water pumps and plumbing to bother with, less HP but if you just want another 100 it would be right on.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I agree about the I/C but as of right now, Whipple does not make an intercooledkit/tune for the auto. Perhaps a dyno tuner could do it for me though?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:51 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

i would say procharger but thats not on your list so i would have to say whipple
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

My mistake, the auto cars come with a large factory trans cooler, should be more than adequate, its sandwiched between the condenser and radiator. The Whipple is non intercooled would probably be great without worrying about trans and bottom end problems, you will void your factory warranty though.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

I've heard and read several times that the auto is only relyable to about 400rwhp. Past that, upgrades are needed to make it more durable. 2 of the upgrades i know about are a torque converter and a deeper transmission pan that can hold more oil/fluid. A transmission cooler would also help but i haven't been able to find one for 05-07s. What other upgrades are needed for transmission peace of mind with a forced induction setup?
Thats untrue... there are many autos running in the 500 range. And this new auto is able to withstand more tq than the manual. Dont mistake a trans few failures for a mass problem. But yes you are correct that upgrading it will help it.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Since I'm an auto, I've narrowed my choices to the following 3 S/Cs. Which would you guys choose and why? I use my car on weekends for cruising and car shows March through Dec. After long consideration of KB I opted out b/c I aint cuttin' my car. Thanks for everyone's input.
Cuttin' ? What do you mean "cuttin'"?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

I've heard and read several times that the auto is only relyable to about 400rwhp. Past that, upgrades are needed to make it more durable. 2 of the upgrades i know about are a torque converter and a deeper transmission pan that can hold more oil/fluid. A transmission cooler would also help but i haven't been able to find one for 05-07s. What other upgrades are needed for transmission peace of mind with a forced induction setup?
Thats untrue... there are many autos running in the 500 range. And this new auto is able to withstand more tq than the manual. Dont mistake a trans few failures for a mass problem. But yes you are correct that upgrading it will help it.
The 5r55s is better than the manual, but is way inferior to the 4r70w that was in the last Mustangs.The 4r70w was a solid trans that was in Crown Vics and F150s. The 5r55s is essentially the same trans that started life in the Ford Ranger, and has been put in v6 Explorers for the last couple years. It has a small case and is non synchronous which leads to rpm flare under high power shifts. These trans are not the best choice for high power. They do come with a factory trans cooler which is to help them get past the warranty period. I have a friend who builds trans and he rebuilds these trans constantly with only a few years on them, mostly solenoid packs coming out of them.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

I am waiting for Kenne Bell to release a S/C for the 07 model, I dont how the 07 is diferent from 06's or 05's but that is what they said, also considering the new Ford Motorsports +200HP s/cintercooled kit
Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

I am waiting for Kenne Bell to release a S/C for the 07 model, I dont how the 07 is diferent from 06's or 05's but that is what they said, also considering the new Ford Motorsports +200HP s/cintercooled kit
Wise person! KB rocks!

Quick Reply: Time for a S/C? Which would you rec.