Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Seats on the 05 Premium GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:31 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Leather Seats on the 05 Premium GT

ORIGINAL: richmod

This won't make you feel any better, but only the front seating surfaces are leather. That means the sides, back, and headrest are all vinyl. If you look real close, you can see the difference in the grain.
So, what you are saying is that the center area that has the pattern on it is all that's leather. The same patterned area on the door is leather too, supposedly. BTW, if you go to the fordvehicles site and "build" a mustang, the included option for the leather seats is labeled "Aberdeen Embossed Leather-Trimmed Sports Bucket Seats", and if you bring up the description, it says, "Bucket seats trimmed with Aberdeen embossed leather pattern."

"Trimmed" doesn't tell me what part of it is leather. In fact, I would guess just from that word that it's the edges, not the center part.

What the heck is Aberdeen leather anyway? I did a search on the internet, and a lot of the links are just pages talking about our Mustangs. I looked up Aberdeen, and it comes up with Aberdeen, Scotland. When I look at those links, it doesn't look like Aberdeen, Scotland is known for leather products, particularly.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

This won't make you feel any better, but only the front seating surfaces are leather. That means the sides, back, and headrest are all vinyl. If you look real close, you can see the difference in the grain.
You are exactly right. There's only a modest portion of the front seats made of real leather. I too had noticed that, but I didn't want to get too negative. I tend to go overboard with negativity about ANY car or brand. Not just Ford but almost every maker does things that seem highly illogical to the consumer.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

"Trimmed" doesn't tell me what part of it is leather. In fact, I would guess just from that word that it's the edges, not the center part.

What the heck is Aberdeen leather anyway? I did a search on the internet, and a lot of the links are just pages talking about our Mustangs. I looked up Aberdeen, and it comes up with Aberdeen, Scotland. When I look at those links, it doesn't look like Aberdeen, Scotland is known for leather products, particularly.
Yes, I too associate "trimmed" with edges rather than middle.

"Aberdeen" leather is just the same sort of fancy, made-up name as Chrysler pulled in the 80's with "Corinthian leather." Later they admitted that it was just a nice-sounding description someone in marketing came up with.

What little bit is real leather is not bad quality in my 05 Mustang, but for $1,000 or so extra I paid for the Premium designation I think they could have offered more than just two small patches of leather and whole lot of vinyl. The leather gets so cold in the winter and hot in the summer that I think maybe I should have just gone for the cloth seats. They are not bad looking at all, and at least you know what you're getting from the start.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I'd rather have all vinyl. That **** holds up for decades. Ever see a leather seat after 10 or 15 years?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:22 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

A person would think that a couple of you guys bought your car from a catalog and never ever sat in the real thing before you plunked your cash down......
Old 02-10-2007, 10:30 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

WHY THE NICE LEATHER SMELL IN THE CAR, EVEN AFTER A YEAR, THE 60 STILL SMELLS NEW LEATHER
Old 02-10-2007, 10:30 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

WHY THE NICE LEATHER SMELL IN THE CAR, EVEN AFTER A YEAR, THE 06 STILL SMELLS NEW LEATHER
Old 02-10-2007, 01:14 PM
John06GT
2nd Gear Member

me being stupid.... read the info wrong [:@]
Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 PM
WuStangKlan
I ♥ Acer

john06gt - how do you know they are really leather - back seats? Want to check mine.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM
John06GT
2nd Gear Member

Oh wait woops lol.... I thought ya'll were saying the back seats were cloth haha, my badddd

Quick Reply: Leather Seats on the 05 Premium GT