Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on fixing my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Default Advice on fixing my car

Ok my topic was moved so ill post another pic.

http://www.machinsanity.com/mustang/...t/DSC01290.JPG

Shop A from my under standing wanted to replace the whole side front and rear panel and the door panel.

Shop B wanted to cut out the dent on the rear and do the metal work by hand and then replace the door. Then paint and blend.

Shop B was a couple hundred more.

What is your guys' input on the best way to have this fixed?

Thanks
Mach
Old 02-11-2007, 07:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Advice on fixing my car

I would think "Shop A" would be without a doubt but someone might explain why cutting the metal and blending the paint it better??
Old 02-11-2007, 07:40 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

I know I'd want my panels replaced with OEM parts for an exact fit IMO. Since you don't have to pay a dime out of pocket I'd search for a bodyshop that does high end cars. It's your car and you have the right to have it fixed at a reputable shop.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Well with the cutting and repairing he said that would be better becuase he wouldnt have to replace that whole panel cuz that side panel runs the length of the car. So his reasoning in cutting is to minimize the loosening of the factory fittings and stuff.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Walk in both shops offices and look for current ICAR certificates on the walls, if they dont have it walk out and get another shop that does.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Massaging the metal means some filler will have to be used. Replacing the panels is the best option. A door skin and a quarter skin is the way to go. Insist on OEM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Are you sure? Seems like pulling the whole car apart to replace the panels seems like it would cause mroe problems down the road..Im not expert though thats just my thought. He said if they do the metal work its all metal they wont use any of the filler stuff.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

IMO the cutting and welding of patches would create problems down the road. It would be nearly impossible to get the panel straight again without filler. Cars are basically big puzzles and replacing these panels isn't as much of a big deal as you would really think. I know when my first car got hit in the quarter panel and they replaced the quarter I thought it would be major surgery. After hanging out in a really good body shop for the past couple years I've picked up on a few things and found out that it's really not as bad as it looks. I'd definatly go with shop A, it's cheaper (which insurance would like) and I'd consider it the "right way" to fix it. If they patch and blend, you'll probably see the patch spot under certain light. If they replace everything, it'll be your little secret
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

submit the quote from shop B,
insist on getting the insurance money directly (alot of companies will cut you the check)
take car to shop A for a cheaper, better fix
use the extra cash you got to ease your pain and suffering by purchasing some go-fast parts or at least a nice steak dinner
Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Go with new panels. Either way your car will need bondo. I would rather have it were the welds are. Instead of were your going to be shutting the door. I also agree in taking your time to find a reputable bodyshop not a chop shop. Dont accept your car back till your satisfied.

Quick Reply: Advice on fixing my car