Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silverhorse Louvers Are IN!! *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Silverhorse Louvers Are IN!! *Pics*

Hawgman how is the taped off portion inside the window. Are the lines nice and strait no bleed over into the see through portion?

Ill be ordering these real soon as long as the painted version is up to my standards.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

ORIGINAL: moosestang
That's what I was asking, is it done right? For $150 to paint these i'd expect perfection. Hell I had a huge front bumper painted for that much by a professional body shop.

I read in another post that the paint wasn't that great. I could easily accomplish not that great with a rattle can for a fraction of that cost. Probably even exceed not that great.

I'm sure you are probably referring to something from TMS. Link the post that says the paint "isn't that great". I would like to read it myself. I went through the last 10 pages or so over there since people been receiving the louvers and I didn't see one that said "not that great".

As for the rattle can... as someone else said. Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

And for what it's worth, my paint wasn't $150. Then again my louvers weren't $149. I did mine on the pre purchase and the louvers were $119 and the paint was $129
Actually it was on m o dular fords .com , I'll see if I can find it.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Riven02

Hawgman how is the taped off portion inside the window. Are the lines nice and strait no bleed over into the see through portion?

Ill be ordering these real soon as long as the painted version is up to my standards.
No bleeding anywhere. Lines are nice and straight. Or at least on mine. That is not to say that out of the 100+ that they have sold so far that some lines aren't crooked somewhere. After all, it is taped off by a human.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 PM
HDmstng
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John

Here is my set............installed a couple of weeks ago. $150 for paint and $150 to install. The exterior paint is black the interior paint matches the interior color. The clear area that you look through was left untouched. Pretty cool.

The material used to manufacture the louvers is Lexan. Used for bullet proof glass, Nascar wind shields and canopys for fighter jets. Its a lot stronger than the glass.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/B6C571F0598147F4854205C6329A6D50.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/3ECDB3B2497340548D805DC019B7CA8D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/48668EC113C841EB8D4EF8FB0122F7B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/6047F278A6A94DC097A09186FA1318D9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/CA5FD49EECE8421996690FFFBFD8DA94.jpg[/IMG]
You mentioned the clear area was left untouched, how do the paint lines look? Is there likely to be chipping or anything like that?

I purchased a set and they arrived today. My poor car was hit and I took them in while getting the estimates for those repairs, and the bodyshop wasn't too keen on them. He was worried about the paint lines at the clear area and problems when (if) they expand and contract due to normal weather cycles. (On Monday it was sunny and 80, today it's cloudy and we are getting snow! [:@])

Also, are they supposed to be slightly bowed? Does it match the contour of the window they are replacing.

Thanks for any input you or anyone else may have!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Have him doa layer of clear over top of them... that way the paint wont be able to chip. As long as he tapes them off straight they should end up straight. And yes they are slightly bowed to follow the contour of the stock window exactly. They wont expand or contract very much if at all... its not plastic, its lexanwhich is used for alot of windshield type applications (motorcycles, Nascar, airplane cockpits).
Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

I'm also concerned about the paint chipping at the clear areas. I have a bottle of clear coat, maybe running a small layer over it will keep this from happening?

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/7A6D437799DC4AFF91220ECDF2FC1808.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/D5BB6A3B8C2C46ABAA8A0CB6530407EA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/684904EBB51F479AA1C85BB60B6AFD08.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-07-2007, 03:47 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

^ Yes, clearing it would definately help. And those look amazing Praz! Thats the closest color to silver Ive seen with these new louvers and they look sweet as hell! Ugh, Im getting so impatient waiting on mine to get put in... [:@]
Old 04-07-2007, 05:14 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: praztek

I'm also concerned about the paint chipping at the clear areas. I have a bottle of clear coat, maybe running a small layer over it will keep this from happening?
What do you mean "the paint chipping at the clear areas?" Paint at the clear areas?

(Those look really good, by the way.)
Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Where the paint line meets where its not painted, theres a line. Now I know silverhorse clears the whole thing after the tape is off so theres clear over the no paint part and the painted part. Now I was impatient so when they came out I took a set to a different painter. And he said not to worry about clearing the lip. So far, no chipping and I've washed it a few times. We will see
Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I really think ford should offer these as a factory option...regarding painting, I did my own and masking is not easy at all- the guy Silverhorse has doing them has done a boatload now, and the first few batches marcello said werent good enough for him, so he tossed them out- 1 set to the best bodyshop in the world probably wont turn out as well as the guy thats been thru it a couple hundred times already...expect several hours masking time if 'masking yourself' but marcello says he is shipping precut vinyl masks now that the mask dimensions have been tweaked. when painting plastics, special primers are needed to get bite, as they will expand/contract a bit...and paint is not cheap. I spent 70 bucks for the primer(used very little) 55 bucks for the vistablue basecoat(used even less) plus God knows what in leftover flex additive/reactive reducer/clear/etc, and my paintjob still sucks I was just too impatient to wait, had to get them done...no regrets- knew from first time I saw these that this was what I wanted, but I still havent rubbed out the paint yet to ge the dust out- used a booth at work, and well its ok for machines, but not car body parts Marcello emailed all of us on the preorder list weekly, sent pics of the molds being machined(this is not a cheap part to make) and explained about any delays...some of the paint waiters were getting a bit impatient in the forums, cant blame them, but still what they ended up getting was 'as good as it gets' most likely.

fyi, to get to sit flush, when I cut my glass out, the wire 'popped' the two little rubber spacer blocks out intact- I cut into little strips and stuck back on in the 3 corners to hold the factory gap, and just put a LOT of sealer...after it satup a couple days, blew around with airhose and found a slight leak, just shot a little urethane back up inside. using ENOUGH urethane is something to watch for- read about a couple others that had leaks too...without spacer blocks, any pressure will give a slight recessed install, as the urethane is very very soft...
in any event ever since the S197 came out the only thing I didnt care for was the quarter glass, and I just couldnt bring myself to stick something over it...came real close to ordering Roush's, but just wasnt 'exactly what I was looking for'...these sit in like they arepart of the car, and quality from silverhorse is great. not as easy as a tape-on install for sure, but it all depends on what look youre going for and if you mind performing minor surgery on your car...but in my 'biased opinion' I still think FoMoCo should offer these from the factory- they look like they belong there to me anyway

now if someone would just make a set of rear slats that arent mounted with tape...I love the slats on my 69, but they bolt on with metal hinges- no fear of them ever blowing off...Ive had 2 rearview mirrors over the years fall out while driving(one on a dodge, one on a ford)- even factory VHB tape can let go, and I'm too much of a worry wart to put something with that much 'wing area' on my car with tape- although never heard of any blowing off yet...besides the big hinges look cool to me

[IMG]local://upfiles/19895/0BB5096DA5F34B19A4A7D59A5308FCBF.jpg[/IMG]