Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get a good launch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How do you get a good launch ?

I get the best times with my auto by actually NOT dumping the throttle but gradually applying it to full throttle off the brake. Otherwise big time wheel spin for 30 foot or more and no traction.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:04 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LoLO

With an automatic mustang GT ? (2006)

I just bought a G-tech device which shows me the 0 to 60 mph time and I was always getting something in the 5sec.. and I notice that this happened because of my launch.
Since I had my car tuned, I have much more power at the end of the gear but at the launch from a dead stop I dont start fast enough or if I floor it too much I spin too long.

I tried to hold the break and accelerate a bit and then release the break and by doing that I obtained a 4.7sec time !

Maybe all I need is better tires.... what do you think
You have just answered a question that I was wondering about. The GTECH meter is apparently good for showing a relative improvement from one launch (or one pass) technique to another....but as a true measure of acceleration it is not very accurate. 4.7 0-60 in a stock GT, auto or otherwise, is a bit optimistic.

Add a few mods, though....and that is pretty easy to attain.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:24 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Tires, LCA, gears.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:34 PM
WuStangKlan
I ♥ Acer

How do you defend this accusation Lolo? Is he right?

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

I just bought a G-tech device which shows me the 0 to 60 mph time and I was always getting something in the 5sec.. and I notice that this happened because of my launch.
Since I had my car tuned, I have much more power at the end of the gear but at the launch from a dead stop I dont start fast enough or if I floor it too much I spin too long.

I tried to hold the break and accelerate a bit and then release the break and by doing that I obtained a 4.7sec time !

You have just answered a question that I was wondering about. The GTECH meter is apparently good for showing a relative improvement from one launch (or one pass) technique to another....but as a true measure of acceleration it is not very accurate. 4.7 0-60 in a stock GT, auto or otherwise, is a bit optimistic.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
WuStangKlan
I ♥ Acer

If you are doing 4.7 wth stock tires you will do 4.5 easy withrace rubber.

Great times for a stock auto anyway man! - the Ford said speed is only 5.1 for stock.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Easy now; not meant as an accusation.My point was thatI don't know of any reliable or verifiable reports that have put a STOCK S197 under 5 seconds, with amateur or professional drivers. My point was that unless LoLo's car is modded somehow to shave off a few tenths, I expect that the GTECH is doing the shaving.

Which is fine because it can still tell you whether a launch technique is faster or slower on any given day...and may be able to tell you if a tune or mod had made an impact (though weather can be a variable too).

My stock 5-speed Mustang GT seems as fast as any GTthat I have driven or been in, but it is in no way a 4.7 second car.

ORIGINAL: WuStangKlan

How do you defend this accusation Lolo? Is he right?

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 PM
BleedsBlueAndWhite

What are some normal times that you have seen with the auto (not what Ford says, actual times)? If one was trying to decided between the auto and the stick (with the auto being a little better in the bad weather I have here in Jersey), how much power is lost with the auto 0-60, 0-100, or from a roll compared to a 5-spd.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 AM
LoLO
1st Gear Member

Ok first of all I am not stock I have CAI and custome tune and pulleys... and 4.10 next week ! so 4.7 is possible. I think it's pretty acurate actually.. the G-tech works fine
Old 02-16-2007, 01:34 AM
LoLO
1st Gear Member

and I only got 4.7 once, most of the time it was 4.9 or 5... That's why I was asking about the launch !Thanks for your answers anyway
Old 02-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

do you have any 1/4 times?

Quick Reply: How do you get a good launch ?